The irony of Agenda

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Flaffer

Re: The irony of Agenda

#16 Post by Flaffer » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 11:11 am

I think we need a new 'Safe space' sub forum where people can go and be comforted and reassured how precious they are
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Future Lover

#17 Post by Future Lover » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:10 pm

I, on the other hand, think we need an "Old (very likely gay) men lacking empathy" subforum where you can be pro-life, anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim all you want. Potential transphobia and misogyny too.

ArtHist

#18 Post by ArtHist » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:19 pm

Future Lover wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:10 pm
I, on the other hand, think we need an "Old (very likely gay) men lacking empathy" subforum where you can be pro-life, anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim all you want. Potential transphobia and misogyny too.
Why would gay men be pro-life though?! Nothing worse than a screaming/crying baby disturbing one's long haul flight to Fort Lauderdale or Miami. :wink:

BlueSwan

#19 Post by BlueSwan » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:45 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019, 1:40 am
A quick test to see if someone is a snowflake is to see how they respond to obvious, common-sense statements like "All Lives Matter", or "It's Okay To Be White". If they are triggered by these statements, they are a snowflake.
This is misguided because it fails to recognize that context matters.

On the surface "all lives matter" is something that should be universally regarded as true, but since that term was basically invented to attack the "Black Lives Matter" movement, what you are essentially uttering when saying "all lives matter" is that the Black Lives Matter people are wrong about systemic racism.

Likewise, if you state that it is "OK to be white", that should go without saying, but in actually saying it you are also saying that whites are somehow being oppressed - infact, just like the BLM people are saying that blacks are being oppressed.

In other words, uttering those two, on the surface harmless and obviously true sentences, you are essentially communicating that black people do not suffer from discrimination, rather white people are the ones being discriminated against, and indeed recent surveys amongst republican voters show that more republicans feel that whites are being discriminated against than blacks, so apparently this idea is very widespread in conservative circles.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

raggatwin

#20 Post by raggatwin » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 5:28 pm

BlueSwan wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:45 pm
retrofuturist wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019, 1:40 am
A quick test to see if someone is a snowflake is to see how they respond to obvious, common-sense statements like "All Lives Matter", or "It's Okay To Be White". If they are triggered by these statements, they are a snowflake.
This is misguided because it fails to recognize that context matters.

On the surface "all lives matter" is something that should be universally regarded as true, but since that term was basically invented to attack the "Black Lives Matter" movement, what you are essentially uttering when saying "all lives matter" is that the Black Lives Matter people are wrong about systemic racism.

Likewise, if you state that it is "OK to be white", that should go without saying, but in actually saying it you are also saying that whites are somehow being oppressed - infact, just like the BLM people are saying that blacks are being oppressed.

In other words, uttering those two, on the surface harmless and obviously true sentences, you are essentially communicating that black people do not suffer from discrimination, rather white people are the ones being discriminated against, and indeed recent surveys amongst republican voters show that more republicans feel that whites are being discriminated against than blacks, so apparently this idea is very widespread in conservative circles.
Well done that man, was just about to pretty much write the same thing,
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

NotInvisible

#21 Post by NotInvisible » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:51 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019, 3:05 am
On other words, retrofuturist is unable to refute my post. Figured as much! :)

retrofuturist

#22 Post by retrofuturist » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 10:39 pm

Greetings,
NotInvisible wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019, 7:51 pm
On other words, retrofuturist is unable to refute my post. Figured as much! :)
Retrofuturist refuted your post, simply by not being triggered by your low-quality bait.

Retro. 8)

NotInvisible

#23 Post by NotInvisible » Wed 13 Feb 2019, 1:31 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue 12 Feb 2019, 10:39 pm
Retrofuturist refuted your post, simply by not being triggered by your low-quality bait.
Doubling down on your inability to refute my post just makes you look twice as silly.