TOTP: Lip Sync'd, Right?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

glennjridge

#2 Post by glennjridge »

he was singing live, but along with his prerecorded vocal.

they are mainly a studio band.I actually loved that neil redid the vocals for montage.

Luke Colorado

#3 Post by Luke Colorado »

no, of course, I just don't see the point.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

psb-freak

#4 Post by psb-freak »

I think Chris wasn´t playing live.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Vince

#5 Post by Vince »

Heh yea, Neil seemed to be singing over the recorded part... Chris seemed frightfully out of tune to me... what piece was he playing anyway?
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

SilentRose

#6 Post by SilentRose »

seeing as neil's voice sounded BAD, it was indeed live (at least the main part)

Enrique

#7 Post by Enrique »

as said by glennjridge, there was the whole CD playing and Neil singing over it, so voice sounded 'different'. Since they didn't dare to do full vocals live, not a bad thing, IMO. Similar when Miracles was premiered in some german show...

I'd say Chris mimed and no sounds were triggered from synth.
Unadiscoteca: PSB en español http://es.groups.yahoo.com/group/unadiscoteca

Vicki

#8 Post by Vicki »

glennjridge wrote:he was singing live, but along with his prerecorded vocal.

they are mainly a studio band.I actually loved that neil redid the vocals for montage.
Did Neil sing Montage over the recording? It seems to me he sings everything live there and in a great way.

Yes, I've noticed that too - everyone performing on TOTP always sings along with the prerecorded vocal. So it's not only Neil

Harry

#9 Post by Harry »

I didn't know this! Is it true?
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Hillbilly

Live

#10 Post by Hillbilly »

Harry wrote:

I didn't know this! Is it true?
Yeah, what's this about? So you mean that when I watch the Montage dvd, the vocals I hear are re-dubbed in the studio?!? I thought it was all live... What about the other singers then?

Then of course with synthesizers and computers, you can't be sure what's being "played" or not. It's so much about programming anyway, isn't it? And I suppose that musical director Peter Schwarz is responsible for most of the sounds, so it's odd that he's not in picture until Neil presents the "band" at the end.

It seems to me however that Chris at least is playing pretty much on stage, compared to Erasure's Vince Clarke. It's so silly watching the concert clip of "Cold summer's day" on the Erasure Hits dvd; during the instrumental section when the light and cameras focuses on Vince, he just stands there with his arms hanging down, not even touching the keyboard! :shock:

glennjridge

#11 Post by glennjridge »

this is nothing new. some bands routinely do this. even judas priest got some flak for their unleashed in the east CD as some of the vocals were redone in the studio for that one and that was like the late 70's.

but yes montage was redone.think about this. montage is suppsedly one concert,and yet not one bad note? seriously.
as long as he just doesnt use the studio version I dont care if he resings parts.as long as he resings them at least.

boyjohn

#12 Post by boyjohn »

even the beatles redid some of their vocals for the film of their shea stadium concert in 1965, so it's nothing new...most live albums have some kind of sweetening also.

although re-doing the entire vocals may be a little much lol
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

glennjridge

#13 Post by glennjridge »

well to be fair,I dont know that it was ALL resung.but its safe to say alot of it was.

its almost kinda like studio singing nowadays. when they record live shows the vocal can be recorded on a diffrent track. so what you do is load it up and clip out the bad sections or notes and resing them and then you paste them in. its almost like painting.

marita

#14 Post by marita »

how many song they played?...i want to see...now i don't have the chanel :( .

About if they sing live or not, i know that all the artist prerecorded on TOTP

Naughty Zoot

#15 Post by Naughty Zoot »

boyjohn wrote:even the beatles redid some of their vocals for the film of their shea stadium concert in 1965, so it's nothing new...most live albums have some kind of sweetening also.
although re-doing the entire vocals may be a little much lol
That wouldn't surprise me. I wasn't there but, as I recall, this appearance was attended by something like 20,000 screaming girls & they (The Beatles) couldn't be heard - even by themselves - causing them to stop a couple of times until they just gave up & plowed through the set, audible or not.

Back to the topic - Neil was not lip sync'ing but he was following a pre-recorded track. Chris was not playing the keyboards either - I have it on good authority that he was playing Super Mario & actually made it to Level 7 just as the last notes faded ...
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...