Please 2

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
MetropoliS

Please 2

#1 Post by MetropoliS »

I often read the pet shop boys do not care about sales - so why not release a new album with new tracks sounding like their epic early tracks ??
Seems stupid at first glance but...
8)
Rick
MetropolyS

StevePSB
Site Admin

#2 Post by StevePSB »

I've often wondered if PSB might think about making a new album using the just the equipment they had at their disposal in 1985. That'd be different, and I expect most fans would welcome it.

StevePSB

moxlox

#3 Post by moxlox »

StevePSB wrote:I've often wondered if PSB might think about making a new album using the just the equipment they had at their disposal in 1985. That'd be different, and I expect most fans would welcome it.

StevePSB
That's a pretty cool idea! If they did I wonder if the resultant music would sound more like Please or Fundamental?
Circuses and Bread

Ghost within this house

#4 Post by Ghost within this house »

I would certainly like to hear an album without the 'overlay' of orchestral arrangements... something barer and more electro.

Would take less time to record as well!!
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

glennjridge

#5 Post by glennjridge »

ugh, one please was enough. I wouldnt want them to stick to one one kind of sound anyways let alone go back in time with those terrible 80's drum sounds and synths.

they are good at coming up with a wide spread of differening sounds per CD,so just more of the same,electronic songs mixed with acoustic guitar and string stuff.

personally I cant get enough of songs like email,drunk and indefinte leave to remain.

whateverman42

#6 Post by whateverman42 »

Yeah, the synths and drums were the worst sounding of their career, and I rate Please as their worst album. Repeating any of their previous 'sounds'(especially their worst) is a bad idea when they do such a great job of making each album sound unique.

Also, I do think they care about sales. I was just reading the Cubism DVD leaflet and Neil wryly mentions after some TV promos for Fundamental sales for it went down 4%. Sounds like he pays attention, and why shouldn't he? Just another lazy misconception.

Fugitive1979

#7 Post by Fugitive1979 »

I don't remember seeing any TV adverts for Fundamental so there can't have been many. :?

Funny, because I still remember the TV adverts for Very and Bilingual.
:| :o

JSDOUVRES

#8 Post by JSDOUVRES »

I love Please, and I do agree that at times the sounds are a bit dodgy but the songs are amongst the best they have ever done and I love the album because it has that typical first album sound, ie fresh and innocent and I still rate Two Divided by zero, I want a lover and tonight is forever as some off the best tracks they have ever done!
Their worst album! Never!

Fugitive1979

#9 Post by Fugitive1979 »

Two Divided By Zero is one of my favourite tracks. It sounds a bit dated now but it's still good.
:| :o

Drem

#10 Post by Drem »

Good idea, I like it but I think 4-6 tracks EP or even just one song in that kind may be enough for their experiments.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Tom Angel

#11 Post by Tom Angel »

Please is amazing - its sense of longing for escape is palpable, much better than Actually, which I also love, but has dated more than Please has.

How about making a Disco 2 2. Using the remixers thay had available then, but now - like Murk..
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Radiophonic

#12 Post by Radiophonic »

I bought Please when it first came out (on cassette tape!) and played it to death. Loved it.

Nick Rhodes went back to old half finished demos of music he made with Stephen Duffy (pre-Duran Duran) and released it. if Neil and Chris had demos from that time, or half finished songs, it would be appropriate to release them in that early/mid 80s synth style, yes

And Please 2 would be a great title...
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Vince

#13 Post by Vince »

Both MetropoliS and StevePSB's ideas sound good.. but i do not want that to interfere the coming of a new album!! :)
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

!

#14 Post by ! »

Nah, I don't like that idea. Maybe one or two tracks for b-sides but nothing for the album in that style.

BlueSwan

#15 Post by BlueSwan »

I think Please is their best album. However, I wouldn't want them to recreate the sound of it. I would rather have them take on the 80's sound but with a modern twist - just like they and Richard X did with "Fugitive" - THAT was a track that took everything that was good about the 80's and gave it a contemporary feel. Infact, I think that could even be a commercially succesful formula.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)