Catalogue Paperback issue

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
lucienchardon

Catalogue Paperback issue

#1 Post by lucienchardon »

This may already have been mentioned here but for anyone still considering getting Catalogue it seems like there will be a paperback edition published on March 24th in the U.S. At least that's what amazon.com says.

Vince

#2 Post by Vince »

^^ Yep.. I saw it a few weeks ago on amazon.com actually..
i was about to preorder it.. but as usual... i'm worried about shipping..
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

Twoism

#3 Post by Twoism »

But you've already got the hardback edition, right?

Vince

#4 Post by Vince »

Twoism wrote:But you've already got the hardback edition, right?
Who me? no :(

My Poems:

!

#5 Post by ! »

I got Catalogue (hardback) yesterday. I won it off eBay on Wednesday for 99p and £8.00 postage, brand new and sealed! I'm dead chuffed with it. :D

psb-freak

#6 Post by psb-freak »

It´d be nice to have a pocket sized Catalogue. :D The book´s just so big.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Riikka

#7 Post by Riikka »

I'm happy to have the hardback edition of the book with their autographs!! :D

I really had to buy the book after I saw it 'live' in a bookshop and I almost kissed the cover. :shock:

Vince

#8 Post by Vince »

^^
OT: Riikka: is your avatar from a Creative Zen Stone Plus?

My Poems:

Riikka

#9 Post by Riikka »

Vince wrote:^^
Yes it is!! :D

beautyqueen85

#10 Post by beautyqueen85 »

Though I have it, never really read Catalogue, didn't find anything extraordinary.

psb-freak

#11 Post by psb-freak »

Riikka wrote:I'm happy to have the hardback edition of the book with their autographs!! :D
I´ve got their autographs on Behaviour cd and Release tour programm.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Vince

#12 Post by Vince »

Riikka wrote:
Vince wrote:^^
Yes it is!! :D
Nice :) i own a Creative ZVM 30 Gig and the new iShuffle myself:)

Saw someone having the Zen Stone Plus on the train and got reminded :)

My Poems:

Deschanel

#13 Post by Deschanel »

Finally got Catalogue this weekend, a used hardback from an Amazon store . Curiously, it comes from
the Phoenix AZ public library!- I'm sure it was stolen , now that I think of it. Libraries often de-accession books, but this is too recent, and such a beautiful book. Maybe the Phoenix librarians are homophobic Republicans, but I doubt it- I think professional librarians are universally cool people.

(I'm imagining some desperate meth addict stole it from the library. She's probably in some doomed yet passionate relationship with a fellow addict, and was hypnotically drawn to Chris's glyphic stare from the glossy cover, and found a fantastic world inside, of strange eccentric Britons in outlandish costumes. Maybe she enjoyed the book secretly before selling it for drugs, and imagined a world beyond the trailer park and the boyfriend..)

Ok, I'll stop. Library-bound in protective jacket, a minor tear on the inside back jacket, and it's mine for the grand sum of $15 .

Enjoyed reading of the long and incredibly fruitful collaboration with Mark Farrow in detail.
(Also Eric Watson.) Absolutely cutting-edge design of its era that more than stands the test of time. When PSB and Farrow took a "break" from each other, a noticeable sag in quality, I think.
Was Farrow becoming too expensive, i wonder? That's not addressed, but.. then he returns with that gorgeous die-cut of the Miracles releases. Great stuff.

I don't usually pay much attention to the serious talk of collectibles, but what a revelation of the sheer inventiveness of the packaging and design for some of these beautiful art objects. I especially like the silvery Warholesque foil of "It Doesn't..Xmas". Reminded of the joy I had at unwrapping Very for the first time and marvelling at that (Am I the only one for whom the hinges eventually snapped?) and the rubbery , slightly naff feel of Very/Relentless packaging.

Stabbed with regret that I had owned all the UK 12'' from each single of Please, as well as the NYC "original" of West End girls with the black sleeve and harlequined color label. Don't want to say what became of them, you don't want to know.

Didn't learn a lot I didn't already know, from Catalogue, but it was an enjoyable diversion to spend afternoon with it in Tennant Lowe world, and once again marvel how they navigated the treacherous pop biz with such style, panache and humor. And reminded how much theirs is a true partnership, they couldn't have made the "fabulous records" they did- if they'd never met, it could never have been the same.

Vince

#14 Post by Vince »

Lucky you Des! Enjoy:)

My Poems:

Shopper

#15 Post by Shopper »

Its a definite fan purchase. Its a massive TOME too, so you can build biceps :)

I wish it was slightly delayed to include the Fundamental Era...but then that would be too much to ask right ;)

does someone have a high quality image of the 'in depth' cover below ? i really need it

I think its one of their best images and would look soo cool on a white tee !!! ofcourse i would edit the 'In depth' and center the 'PSB'

I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook