Australian News Roundup

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Piotrek

Re: Australian News Roundup

#601 Post by Piotrek »

Can fellow Aussies keep an eye out for Super at bricks and mortar retailers. I think with Elysium and Electric they were available a couple of days before release, and I wouldn't mind getting my hands on Super mid week.

grantwww

#602 Post by grantwww »

Piotrek wrote:Can fellow Aussies keep an eye out for Super at bricks and mortar retailers. I think with Elysium and Electric they were available a couple of days before release, and I wouldn't mind getting my hands on Super mid week.
I was in JB HiFi yesterday and couldn't help myself. Needless to say, it wasn't there.

I have to go past a JB to get my lunch now I'm back to work so I'm sure I'll pop in there and check every day. :pray:

Piotrek

#603 Post by Piotrek »

Normally I would politely ask them, but often they couldn't care less so information offered by them is inaccurate. They had Electric for sale in stores in Sydney or Melbourne on the Tuesday before release, but when I checked on the Wednesday in Adelaide, they said it's not yet on sale in any stores Australia wide. Clearly their computer said not on sale, but physical copies were in the racks.

retrofuturist

#604 Post by retrofuturist »

JB's music-oriented customer service has deteriorated so much in recent years... no one has a clue, and no one gives a stuff. Management have probably told them to focus on selling coffee machines and white goods instead.

Piotrek

#605 Post by Piotrek »

retrofuturist wrote:JB's music-oriented customer service has deteriorated so much in recent years... no one has a clue, and no one gives a stuff. Management have probably told them to focus on selling coffee machines and white goods instead.
Which is what I would have done if I was the manager. The margin and volume in music sales is simply not there to dedicate resources.
Having said that, their buying power is so great that they often leave small independent retailers dead in the water, and stock is frequently not available or on back-order even though it is delivered to JB HiFi stores on time and sits on the shelves untouched.

Andie

#606 Post by Andie »

Piotrek wrote:Normally I would politely ask them, but often they couldn't care less so information offered by them is inaccurate. They had Electric for sale in stores in Sydney or Melbourne on the Tuesday before release, but when I checked on the Wednesday in Adelaide, they said it's not yet on sale in any stores Australia wide. Clearly their computer said not on sale, but physical copies were in the racks.
I got my copy of Electric in Melbourne on the Tuesday before release, but I didn't go into the store & ask. On a whim I rang my local store & just said "Have you got the PSB new CD in yet?" They said "yes it's just come in" So I asked if I could come & get a copy!! They said ok & left one at the pay desk for me!! I couldn't say if there was any actual stock on the shelves before the release day. It could have been a fluke.
I'm going to try that tactic again though :shifty:
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Piotrek

#607 Post by Piotrek »

Andie wrote:
Piotrek wrote:Normally I would politely ask them, but often they couldn't care less so information offered by them is inaccurate. They had Electric for sale in stores in Sydney or Melbourne on the Tuesday before release, but when I checked on the Wednesday in Adelaide, they said it's not yet on sale in any stores Australia wide. Clearly their computer said not on sale, but physical copies were in the racks.
I got my copy of Electric in Melbourne on the Tuesday before release, but I didn't go into the store & ask. On a whim I rang my local store & just said "Have you got the PSB new CD in yet?" They said "yes it's just come in" So I asked if I could come & get a copy!! They said ok & left one at the pay desk for me!! I couldn't say if there was any actual stock on the shelves before the release day. It could have been a fluke.
I was just going to walk into town and check at JB, but with the Easter weekend just behind us, even if it's been delivered it will take them at least a day to process so I very much doubt that it would be available for sale. I will definitely check tomorrow though.

Andie

#608 Post by Andie »

Piotrek wrote:
Andie wrote:
I was just going to walk into town and check at JB, but with the Easter weekend just behind us, even if it's been delivered it will take them at least a day to process so I very much doubt that it would be available for sale. I will definitely check tomorrow though.
Yes, good plan! I was thinking the same thing. Let's hope we have some success :pray:

Piotrek

#609 Post by Piotrek »

The independent music retailer whom I buy most of my music from, is excellent at getting the music I want, and will get me a copy of the CD plus the LP, but he gets screwed over by the record companies who send him new releases on Friday of release day but after lunch. And there is nothing he can do about it. They told him literally that they are not obliged to sell him anything if they don't want to anyway. Most people would go at lunch time to check if an album they want is in or not. What good is it getting stock after lunch? That has to be a deliberate ploy to drive small independent retailers out of business. Therefore I have to check if the album will be available at JB first. I will have two copies, so no harm there.

Andie

#610 Post by Andie »

Andie wrote:
Piotrek wrote:
Andie wrote:
Yes, good plan! I was thinking the same thing. Let's hope we have some success :pray:

Well, my strategy didn't work at all. I rang JB with same conversation as 3 years ago!! The lady went off to check, came back & said "it's released on Friday, we're not allowed to sell it before then"
I guess it was worth a try :(

Piotrek

#611 Post by Piotrek »

Andie wrote:
Andie wrote:
Piotrek wrote:

Well, my strategy didn't work at all. I rang JB with same conversation as 3 years ago!! The lady went off to check, came back & said "it's released on Friday, we're not allowed to sell it before then"
I guess it was worth a try :(
That's what they always say, then put it out on the racks on Wednesday. I'm going in to check.

Also, business is business, if they have it they should sell, otherwise I'll get my copy from whomever is willing to sell it first. It's not like it will make any impact on the charts. It's being distributed my a small label, so I don't really see a reason why they wouldn't sell it. It's probably just a general statement they are told to make.

Andie

#612 Post by Andie »

I think it depends on who answers the phone!! 3 years ago, the lady I spoke to didn't even go off to ask someone about it. She said yes straight away. Btw, I mentioned today that I got my Electric CD before the release date, but she just said "oh?" :roll:
I still plan to go into the store today & tomorrow. Nothing to lose I guess. I agree with your comment about business is business etc!!

Piotrek

#613 Post by Piotrek »

Went into JB Adelaide City. No Super on the racks or at the back. I know a guy that works there. But he did point out a large Pet Shop Boys Super display made up of small posters. I asked for one but they were all stapled together.

Andie

#614 Post by Andie »

How cool is that? I'd love a poster too. I'm guessing that the two tubes in the centre are meant to be Superglue!!! I'll have to see if my local store has the same.
I was wondering if they'll have a review in JB's Stack magazine like they did with Electric? I still have that copy, with them on the cover.

Piotrek

#615 Post by Piotrek »

Andie wrote:How cool is that? I'd love a poster too. I'm guessing that the two tubes in the centre are meant to be Superglue!!! I'll have to see if my local store has the same.
I was wondering if they'll have a review in JB's Stack magazine like they did with Electric? I still have that copy, with them on the cover.
I know. Very cool. A little display out of nowhere. There must be some push from Kobalt via (presumably) Inertia. We'll see if it's still Inertia for Australia like with Electric.