Drunk alternate video?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
kennytosh

Drunk alternate video?

#1 Post by kennytosh »

Sorry if this has been posted before, a search didn't bring anything up.

Anyway, so I was listening to the audio commentary on PopArt yesterday and noticed Neil and Chris speaking about an unrated version of the Drunk video. Anyone know if this is available anywhere online to watch? And, while I'm asking, is there any copies of any other alternate videos?

Propertius

Re: Drunk alternate video?

#2 Post by Propertius »

There were "daytime" and "nighttime" variants of a couple of videos in the Nightlife era -- I think just "Drunk" and "New York city boy." I think the only difference is that you might catch a glimpse of nipple in the nighttime versions. I thought that nighttime versions were on PopArt, but I confess I don't remember. The "Drunk" nighttime version may be on the CD single. The differences seemed pretty small at the time.

kennytosh

#3 Post by kennytosh »

Thanks. I remember seeing something that claimed to be a nighttime New York city boy video on YouTube, but I couldn't see anything different from any other version that I had come across so I wasn't sure if there actually was a difference. But yeah, the differences must be minimal; the boys couldn't tell themselves which version of the Drunk video was on the DVD

York Minster

#4 Post by York Minster »

I'm glad this is brought up again. Since 1999, I have not understood where the nudity is in the Drunk video. Can someone please clear this up once and for all? Doesn't montage have a parental advisory on it because of this?? Or is it that we see a butt in the projection during Young Offender? Or something else? Yes, it's the Pet SHop Boys our children must stay away from.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

ssss1

#5 Post by ssss1 »

I remember hearing somewhere that the 'street walking ladies of the night' were removed from one version of New York city boy so it could be shown during the day. I also think that the night-time version of ...Drunk does show some nipple. Wasn't there also an alternate version of I Don't Know What You.... where the needles were removed because some people were squeamish of them?!

kennytosh

#6 Post by kennytosh »

Watching the version of Drunk on Montage; I am 99.99% certain it does not contain any sight of nipple or nudity. The closest I can see is that there's a girl at the end who's sitting in her pants (though, with a top on). However, the girls and the needle are in the other two videos so, if the uncut version of the others are on Montage I don't see why they'd censor Drunk. Heck, both of them feature in PopArt too. Would certainly be odd to remove that glance of nipple for the DVDs, especially with Being Boring starting off with a minute of someone completely nude!

York Minster

#7 Post by York Minster »

I didn't think about the nudity in Being Boring. However, my Montage has the parental advisory on it, and Popart does not, so still question unanswered about why it's on Montage. Maybe it's the frightwigs, just too scary?

kennytosh

#8 Post by kennytosh »

I think the oddest thing about Montage is that I can't think of a single other music DVD that has a certificate rating other than E (exempt from classification), yet Montage is a PG. A search on BBFC's website came up with the following reasons for the rating:

Language: Infrequent, mild
Sex/Nudity: Some mild references
Violence: Once, mild
Other: Strobe lights, drug reference

Now, I haven't watched Montage for a few weeks, but I can't think of anywhere that involves "mild" violence. Neil isn't exactly big on profanities either; the only part I can think of that the "mild" language could be referring to is when Neil ad-libs one of the Can you forgive her? choruses with "it's so bloody childish".

Strobe lights, okay. Drug references, I can deal with. Nudity? Well, if there was a nipple in Drunk it would have said there were more than "references".

..So yeah, that didn't really help much.

Danger

#9 Post by Danger »

I've never understood why Montage has rated as parental guidance, who knows...

Oznerol

#10 Post by Oznerol »

This are three images for three of the differences you can find on the alternate versions for the Nightlife Videos (not the versions included on PopArt):

I don't know what you want but I can't give it anymore (nightime version) -the 'daytime' is on PopArt
(only available on the Asian CD + VCD release of 'Nightlife')
Just two shots of this needle clicking the skin in and out are the difference with the 'daytime version' on PopArt.

New York City boy (daytime version) -the 'nightime' is on PopArt
(only available on the UK press kit VHS of 'Nightlife')
This one has a lot of new shots and montage differences, mostly prostitutes, mid-nudity and drugs shots replaced with 'clean' footage. Altough all changes are subtle, nothing obvious for the unattending eye...

You only tell me you love me when you're drunk (nightime version) -the 'daytime´ is on PopArt
(Only available on the Asian CD+VCD release of Nightlife)
There are just two different shots here, the one in the pic and another when a boy's face looks like if he was a vampire, with blood on his chin.

Last edited by Oznerol on Thu 14 Jan 2010, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is not my signature.

Oznerol

#11 Post by Oznerol »

Danger wrote:I've never understood why Montage has rated as parental guidance, who knows...
Must be for the West End girls back projections...

Oznerol

#12 Post by Oznerol »

Is truly gratifying to note the response from people when you answer a question that has long unanswered, or under erroneous speculations.
It really gives to you the desire to continue actively participating in the forum ... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

kennytosh

#13 Post by kennytosh »

Haha, sorry. I did mean to reply but, when I first saw it, I didn't have the time. And I just completely forgot about it.

Thanks though for pointing out the differences. I wonder why they've never really been released outside of Asia (which is interesting in itself when you think about (at least) Japan's censorship laws in the '90s).

York Minster

#14 Post by York Minster »

Great, differences..I still don't see the nudity.

Oznerol

#15 Post by Oznerol »

FirthofForth wrote:..I still don't see the nudity.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
So wich word describes the clothing of the couple embraced on the Drunk pic?? :D
(OK, I see some sockets but.....)