"Love is a bourgeois construct" - 3rd single from "Electric"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Tom Angel

Re: "Love is a bourgeois construct" - 3rd single from "Elect

#31 Post by Tom Angel »

Undertaker wrote:
Tom Angel wrote:Really genuinely gutted about this idiocy.
Even Thursday's theme is what fills the charts escapism and choruses, not choruslite clippity clop songs about tony benn. I want to be proud of psb, which love... doesn't
So you are only proud if they are in the charts? A chart made up of utter dross. Or are you only proud if your mates nod in agreement at Example being on a song because that makes them cool.

I get that Thursday is the most commercial single but I don't get all this bollocks about being proud and embarrassed to play songs to mates.

What are you going on about? Love is basically a bit cringeworthy. As I've said before I got into Psb because of their effortlessness, amongst many other things, and Love is a bourgeois construct is just Psb by numbers, they are trying to hard. It's the sort of song that gave disco a bad name. I'm proud when a song can play the main game and win, not indulge the fans of ott hi-nrg disco lumped over an orchestral sample and awful fades such as the bourgeois -e-e-e...

I don't hate it, but I'm not proud of it, unlike Thursday, which has atmosphere, melds a modern hip hop groove, house pianos, avoids the catastrophe of neil rapping like Happiness is an option, gives chris lowe the lead chorus and HAS 4 choruses instead of NON. And has a list. List songs are often hits. And most importantly sounds complete, unlike the unfinished Love is a bourgeois construct, which doubtlessly has Left to my own decives turning in its grave. I can't believe no one else sees how this is a SUCH poor choice of single.

And since when was Example cool? Don't make such idiotic assumptions. I'm 40. A) I don't have mates and b) if I did they hate example. So in turn, I have no idea what bollocks you're talking about. If you think Love is a bourgeois construct is single material then thank god you don't work in record company marketing.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Tenlow

#32 Post by Tenlow »

I'm also not getting why they don't release "Thursday next, really. I very much like Love is a bourgeois construct but it is true that it is PSB by numbers and nothing remotely surprising. Just another "Red letter day", "New York city boy" or "Go West" type of song in many ways. It's not surprising that almost all the fans love it.

"Thursday" on the other hand is different. Chris on vocals on a single? Hasn't happened in a while I guess. A feature of a rapper/singer? Cannot remember a true PSB single that offers this. Many different catchy choruses in a single song? Not bad either, I guess.

I would have gone with "Thursday" but hey who am I to complain :wink:

That said, both songs most likely won't be hits of course but anyway...
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

PSBForTheMasses

#33 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Ziggy Shadow-Dust wrote:So let me think what might happen. There's these people who have this idea of what they hate about PSB and Love is a bourgeois construct will force this point home if its released as a single. However release Thursday in its stead, it gets those people hooked, and decide to invest in Electric. They get the album and then, shock horror, they come across Love is a bourgeois contruct. Their feelings about PSB before Thursday will return and we'll be back to square one.
But this is slightly crooked logic. If people buy the album because of Thursday, they will have seven more options (songs) that they may love (assuming that they will hate Love is..), which may lead to investing in more PSB albums and becoming a new fan. But if they hear the single Love is...and dislike it, they will simply go away, not to return anymore.

I think this is just for the sake of making old-time fans happy, maybe thanking them for their support. The song is admittedly cheesy, this kind of music was left in 90s, wasn't it? and wasn't it deleted from the tour setlist because of indifferent public reaction? Hope the radio edit will be much better as is the case with "Heart" whose radio edit is drastically a magestic song compared to dull album version. And hope it succeeds...I love Pet SHop Boys very much and want to see them conquer the world again like they did back in 80s :angel:.
Last edited by PSBForTheMasses on Mon 22 Jul 2013, 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gary1962

#34 Post by Gary1962 »

Easily the best track on the album and should have been the first track from the album released as a single.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

ZiggyPSB

#35 Post by ZiggyPSB »

"PSB by numbers", a harsher alternatve to what Geowayne calls "anthems".

I think that we're gonna have to live with PSB apparently making "bad decisions" with every album campaign, even now of all times when they're in complete control.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Remark

#36 Post by Remark »

Tom Angel wrote:Love is basically a bit cringeworthy. As I've said before I got into Psb because of their effortlessness, amongst many other things, and Love is a bourgeois construct is just Psb by numbers, they are trying to hard. It's the sort of song that gave disco a bad name. I'm proud when a song can play the main game and win, not indulge the fans of ott hi-nrg disco lumped over an orchestral sample and awful fades such as the bourgeois -e-e-e...
This is a ridiculous assessment. I'm sorry, but your "description" of Love is a Bourgeois Construct could apply equally to Left to My Own Devices, which is one of their greatest songs ever. Were they "trying to hard" then, with the over-the-top orchestra and Trevor's incredible, flamboyant production? Construct is an extraordinary track, full of the utmost PSB wit, ingenious lyrics, and anthemic melody. It's in the same vein as Go West, Shameless, The Resurrectionist, and Delusions of Grandeur, some other classic PSB tunes that most everyone has an affinity for and loves.

I LOVE Thursday and agree that it would make a fine single (it really is begging to be released), but Construct is superb. Instant classic. No question.

Oh and I don't get this whole "PSB by numbers" malarkey. "PSB by numbers" equals some of the greatest PSB songs ever made (like the ones I've mentioned above).

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com

raggatwin

#37 Post by raggatwin »

Love is a bourgeois construct is hooked on classics, come on, it's not in the same league as Left to my own devices....
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

TG

#38 Post by TG »

Epic fail - apart from the first 20 seconds or so this has to be one of their worst tracks.Ever.
People tell me I'm a legend round these parts

Remark

#39 Post by Remark »

raggatwin wrote:Love is a bourgeois construct is hooked on classics, come on, it's not in the same league as Left to my own devices....
Wrong.

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com

Remark

#40 Post by Remark »

TG wrote:Epic fail - apart from the first 20 seconds or so this has to be one of their worst tracks.Ever.
Wrong, too.

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com

Tenlow

#41 Post by Tenlow »

Remark wrote:
raggatwin wrote:Love is a bourgeois construct is hooked on classics, come on, it's not in the same league as Left to my own devices....
Wrong.

- Remark

http://www.remarkcentral.com

Not wrong.
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

Tom Angel

#42 Post by Tom Angel »

Exactly. Left to my own devices picks you up, sweeps you off your feet, shows you the sights, and tucks you back in bed. To ME, Love is... simply pilfers an orchestral tune and puts a relatively unimagnative h-nrg beat under it. Hooked on classics. I'm sorry, but it ISN'T the classic to my eyes that everyone else thinks it is.

I prefer it when other people like PSB, not just the fans. Love is... does not deliver as a single
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

ZiggyPSB

#43 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Weeeeeellll this track has certainly taken a nose dive in popularity since the leak. I bet when we do the Electric Survivor Challenge, this track will be the first one out that door! :arrow:
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Remark

#44 Post by Remark »

Tom Angel wrote:
Exactly. Left to my own devices picks you up, sweeps you off your feet, shows you the sights, and tucks you back in bed. To ME, Love is... simply pilfers an orchestral tune and puts a relatively unimagnative h-nrg beat under it. Hooked on classics. I'm sorry, but it ISN'T the classic to my eyes that everyone else thinks it is.

I prefer it when other people like PSB, not just the fans. Love is... does not deliver as a single
I'm shocked I'm hearing this. I thought that most of these PSB forum readers were all about Love is a bourgeois construct. Shocking. It is VERY MUCH like Left to My Own Devices, with the intensity of the lyrics alone!

- Remark

http://www.remarkcentral.com

Remark

#45 Post by Remark »

Ziggy Shadow-Dust wrote:Weeeeeellll this track has certainly taken a nose dive in popularity since the leak. I bet when we do the Electric Survivor Challenge, this track will be the first one out that door! :arrow:
INCORRECT!!!

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com