Thursday in at #61 end of week charts (see page 2)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

Re: Thursday in at #61 end of week charts (see page 2)

#76 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
tottenhammattspurs wrote:I do tend to think that we have probably seen the last of singles.
I think that as long Pet Shop Boys release "proper" albums they'll continue to release singles - because they can, and because they want to.

Neil loves talking about "the new single" etc. so why would he deprive himself the opportunity to do that? He actually seems quite proud that the release of "singles" with actual (though not literal) "b-sides" it's a point of differentiation between them and the contemporary pop scene.

Electric saw 4 singles... not just a token 1 or 2. I think that tells us something about what they choose to do.... and that's what it is, a choice - one that enables commercial and artistic interests to be balanced, because those interests now lie exclusively with the two of them, rather than being shared with Parlophone.

Retro. :)

DYSMC2009

#77 Post by DYSMC2009 »

PSB get a lot more profit sharing now that they are part of Kobalt. They are well aware that their singles will not chart. Now that there is greater financial incentive than ever with Kobalt, I'm sure they will continue to regularly release singles on CD as well as boutique formats like vinyl.

Disco.

#78 Post by Disco. »

Electric is not a re-entry in the top 200 this week. It is a re-entry in the Independent album chart this week at #45. But it is JUST outside The Top 200. The Editors is at# 200 in the album chart and at # 41 in the Independent album chart. Jim Reeves album is at 196 in the album chart and at #40 in the Independent album chart. So Electric should be at around #210-215, with sales of about 600.

boyjohn

#79 Post by boyjohn »

Disco. wrote:Electric is not a re-entry in the top 200 this week. It is a re-entry in the Independent album chart this week at #45. But it is JUST outside The Top 200. The Editors is at# 200 in the album chart and at # 41 in the Independent album chart. Jim Reeves album is at 196 in the album chart and at #40 in the Independent album chart. So Electric should be at around #210-215, with sales of about 600.
Electric seems to have "surged" back into the top 200 on iTunes (#157) and Amazon (CD-#133, MP3-#207), so it may make a re-entry this week.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Disco.

#80 Post by Disco. »

boyjohn wrote:
Disco. wrote:Electric is not a re-entry in the top 200 this week. It is a re-entry in the Independent album chart this week at #45. But it is JUST outside The Top 200. The Editors is at# 200 in the album chart and at # 41 in the Independent album chart. Jim Reeves album is at 196 in the album chart and at #40 in the Independent album chart. So Electric should be at around #210-215, with sales of about 600.
Electric seems to have "surged" back into the top 200 on iTunes (#157) and Amazon (CD-#133, MP3-#207), so it may make a re-entry this week.
It was at #120 on iTunes yesterday, probably from the exposure from that tv show they did a few days ago, and maybe from airplay from Thursday, 179 plays last week.

Disco.

#81 Post by Disco. »

Electric is up from #45 to#34 in The Independent album chart, it is most likely back in The Top 200. Maybe 1,000 copies sold.
Electric has spent 18 weeks in the Independent Album Chart Top 100. So it has been in the Top 100 since it was released.

markrobertnolan

#82 Post by markrobertnolan »

Thanks for posting the chart info!

Disco.

#83 Post by Disco. »

You're welcome.

PSBForTheMasses

#84 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

nickname wrote:Nickname said this track had to be the main single from "Electric" and if it had happened, I'm sure the story would have been very different.

Face it!, it's the FOURTH single from "Electric", three or four months later "Electric" was released and in spite of everthing, the song is having a better chart results than the previous singles, more airplays and at the end, the video of "Thursday", it's going to have more views than the supposed main single from "Electric": "Vocal".

These results are saying: "Thursday" had to be the main single from "Electric".
I must admit that when I saw Thursday video garnered 715.000 views on Youtube, my jaws just dropped open. If someone asked me just before, "how many views do you expect?", I could say 200,000-250,000 views but almost 800,000 views?

PSBForTheMasses

#85 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Old Soak wrote:Give it up Nickname, it was never going to be a hit. The reason it's got to 61 is the tie in with Example completists. It's the worst track on the album full stop.
No, that honor goes to Bourgeois thing. During the hot discussions here about its single release, I was quite neutral to the song and was hoping that those who supported it were right, I was missing something and I would get warmer to it in time. Guess what? now I actually dislike it mixed with some kind of hate about its "Hang Up" wanna-be spirit. Maybe I have mentally forced myself to dislike it :lol: but I will delete it from my playlist only to replace it with Always On My Mind. Enough is enough.

Agreed, Thursday is not the best song on the album and the verses and background music are a litle bit dire but when Example kicks in, the song is really elevated.