tired of seeing them live

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
alig

tired of seeing them live

#1 Post by alig » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:00 am

So far I've seen the boy perform live six time and it's been five years since the last time. Ever since then I haven't considered watching them live again. At some point it all became redundant to me. There's only so many times I can enjoy West End girls or Being Boring live. Nor can the new songs make up for it. Anyway, I'm curious to know if other people are cheesed off with their concerts.
"John 3:16."

Danimal

Re: tired of seeing them live

#2 Post by Danimal » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:32 am

I wouldn't say cheesed-off, but I certainly don't feel the same excitement.
First saw them for Performance which was the ultimate PSB show. Next I actually flew from the US to London to see Somewhere twice. Then again for Nightlife, Release, and Fundamental.
For Yes they didn't come to my town for the first time on a US tour and I didn't feel like driving six hours to Chicago, especially for a show of mash-ups. Wanted to see them for Electric and bought tix to see them in Chicago because I couldn't make the Windsor show, but sold the tix because my wife wanted to get the bathroom done.
Electric would have been a great show to see because of all the new material, lasers, etc, but if they don't come to my home town of Detroit which is only 20 miles away I can't be bothered anymore, it does lose something after 5 or 6 times.

Young Offender

#3 Post by Young Offender » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 2:37 am

I've also have seen them every show and stop in the los angeles area, san diego and even vegas since performance in 1991, i saw them last year for the electric show in san diego and the shrine.

This year is the first time that i did not see them in ventura which is about a 2 hour drive to the north and i also skipped coachella as i am not a camper and it is also about a 2 hour drive to the east of me.

Would love to see them do something different such as Potemkin or something special.

billiejo

#4 Post by billiejo » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 7:56 am

No, not at all tired of seeing them live. Of the recent tours, I loved Pandemonium and saw it three times, got tickets for Electric for the second time round and aiming to see the Proms concert :dance:

Sage

#5 Post by Sage » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 8:08 am

I'm very surprised that anyone could get tired of seeing them live! The performances seem so entertaining, and the songs get remixed.
Is there anything they could do to make it better? because I can't think of anything.

Do you guys who get tired of seeing them live have other artists that you've seen the same amount of times but aren't tired of?

Paulo

#6 Post by Paulo » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:00 am

Oh to have the luxury of getting sick of seeing them live.

3 times in 25 years!!!!

PETHEAD72

#7 Post by PETHEAD72 » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:08 am

Really????????,i am saddened this topic exists
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

Corina

#8 Post by Corina » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:15 am

PETHEAD72 wrote:i am saddened this topic exists
Me too! So many fans "cry" for not being able to see them live at least once in a few years. And their "live concept" is far from being monotonous, every tour brings something new, plus the joy of seeing our idols in the flesh!!
Last edited by Corina on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

Andie

#9 Post by Andie » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:30 am

Paulo wrote:Oh to have the luxury of getting sick of seeing them live.

3 times in 25 years!!!!
Me too, I've only ever seen them live once, 20 years ago :(
If it were possible I'd be rapt to see them live every year :)
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying

mole973102

#10 Post by mole973102 » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:01 am

alig wrote:So far I've seen the boy perform live six time and it's been five years since the last time. Ever since then I haven't considered watching them live again. At some point it all became redundant to me. There's only so many times I can enjoy West End girls or Being Boring live. Nor can the new songs make up for it. Anyway, I'm curious to know if other people are cheesed off with their concerts.
Tell you what does put me off...

It's not the songs (although I agree - must we have West End girls every time?)

What slightly spoils the concerts now for me is integrating one song into another. I don't mind a different remix of a song but I dislike it when they'll intertwine Heart and Pandemonium rather than separate versions. I'm going there to enjoy their songs live. This is more going down the line of karaoke...

No doubt there are Petheads that think all songs should be intertwined, but I don't.

Concerts are expensive (for many reasons) and I don't dispute that. But if I have to pay out then I would like the songs intact - I think that's why I didn't put them as a priority. Also getting to London is a good £20.00 and a pain getting back (no time to hang around for autographs etc). In 2009 I had to pay out a further £40.00 because the train company decided to go to bed and stop at Ashford. I live in Canterbury.

I am seeing Derren Brown soon for the first time though (performing in Canterbury). :)

Apart from the cost, I did enjoy Pandemonium. If they come to the o2 I'll go again (especially if richer). I'd just like a straight setlist please...
You gotta have fun!

Nickname

#11 Post by Nickname » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:15 am

I'm very excited because the are going to come to my city, my second PSB concert. Of course I'm not tired.

Bulldog

#12 Post by Bulldog » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

There are several pros and cons in their current live act.

First, visuals are still brilliant, but after working so much with Es Devlin they clearly need to refresh the "projections, geometric shapes and dancers" concept a little.

Musically, Neil's voice is stronger than in earlier tours, but there's quite an overuse of double-tracking, which can get annoying (I still find "Pandemonium" CD almost unlistenable just because of that). Being an electronic act they can't really change the setlists as much as a rock band could, but fortunately they didn't turn into a borefest like Kraftwerk: they manage to put in some rarities and b-sides that are always welcome.

All in all I'd say it's ok to see them once or twice but at core they're a studio band, and studio work will always be their strong point. Festivals and neverending tours are welcome, because with shows they can finance new studio recordings, but I'd say that these days, for hardcore fans, special shows like BBC concerts can be more rewarding than regular tours.
Last edited by Bulldog on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickname

#13 Post by Nickname » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:51 am

I think the BBC concert is more for mature fans and Electric tour for young fans. I think both would be great.

le petit corbusier

#14 Post by le petit corbusier » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:18 pm

I've been to eight concerts. Never got bored.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

goughsjd

#15 Post by goughsjd » Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:43 pm

It makes me feel sad just seeing this topic, love seeing them live really do & I love everything they put into it ! I even love waiting to go in and speaking to other fans !
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19