Brighton

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
joepsb

Brighton

#1 Post by joepsb »

Played love is a bourgeois construct tonight.
Is that the 1st time ?

ZiggyPSB

Re: Brighton

#2 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Not in this leg of the tour. They re-introduced it full time in America. First time in the UK tho'.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

PSBee

#3 Post by PSBee »

Just got back.

Enjoyed it but have to say, dreadful audience. We'll at least it was in the seats. More life in a tramps vest! I was embarrassed, they deserve so much better.

The people around us just did not seem to be in to it at all. Seriously don't know why some people bother!

DavePSB

#4 Post by DavePSB »

Having been to all the PSB concerts in Brighton, the standing audience this evening were the best. They got involved, sung along, danced and had a good time. Love is a bourgeois construct sounds much better live.
Chris: "I don't really like MP3's. It's like having a 1 megapixel digital camera."

Click for PSB | Euphoric (rarely updated now)

Trixiemix

#5 Post by Trixiemix »

Amazing night in Brighton! I met Neil and Chris twice today :0)
Tonight while waiting outside, I found an AAA pass on the ground
and got both of them to sign it.
Great meeting you Dave and also Corina from this forum who travelled
from Romania. What a fantastic start ti the UK tour which continues on 13th June.
Back to Trafalgar.........

MikeyC

#6 Post by MikeyC »

My good friend from London went to Brighton to see the show and had an amazing time! He's extremely tall so some of you may have seen him! :)

Remark

#7 Post by Remark »

PSBee wrote:Enjoyed it but have to say, dreadful audience. We'll at least it was in the seats. More life in a tramps vest! I was embarrassed, they deserve so much better. The people around us just did not seem to be in to it at all. Seriously don't know why some people bother!
I was right up front (roughly 3rd from the barrier) and although there was generally more energy in the crowd there, my perception of the audience wasn't much better. My friend and I were literally dancing and singing to all the songs (I was proud to sing all the words to Love is a Bourgeois Construct--which sounds AMAZING live btw, my first time hearing it in this show!); but of course the "statuesque" people around me only moved to the hits. During the first part of the show--in my opinion the best part--they were all just standing and almost getting annoyed we were dancing! There was one portly guy with his 2 friends in front of us, you could tell he was tired of standing. His friend was on his phone the entire time--no, not taking photos, but using WhatsApp! WTF. And most people along the barrier were just bobbing their heads, again knowing no lyrics and not dancing until It's a Sin. SO frustrating!
MikeyC wrote:My good friend from London went to Brighton to see the show and had an amazing time! He's extremely tall so some of you may have seen him! :)
This guy might have been in front of me. Easily over 6'5" tall. He bobbed his head and was second behind the barrier. Thankfully I wasn't directly behind him (I'm only 5'4"). This guy did look like he had a good time.

I posted some pics and vids from last night on my Instagram: www.instagram.com/remarkcentral

I'll see them again in Cardiff next.

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com

MikeyC

#8 Post by MikeyC »

Remark wrote:
MikeyC wrote:My good friend from London went to Brighton to see the show and had an amazing time! He's extremely tall so some of you may have seen him! :)
This guy might have been in front of me. Easily over 6'5" tall. He bobbed his head and was second behind the barrier. Thankfully I wasn't directly behind him (I'm only 5'4"). This guy did look like he had a good time.

I posted some pics and vids from last night on my Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/remarkcentral

- Remark

http://www.remarkcentral.com
That was probably my friend, who is just over 6'5" tall! 8)

Remark

#9 Post by Remark »

MikeyC wrote:
Remark wrote:

I posted some pics and vids from last night on my Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/remarkcentral

- Remark

That was probably my friend, who is just over 6'5" tall! 8)
Amazing, you can see his head in my West End girls video, I literally was holding my arms up all the way to ensure I could get Neil and Chris in the shot without the tall dude's head in the way! :)

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com

ZiggyPSB

#10 Post by ZiggyPSB »

I take it no one got involved in any fights.

I didn't know it was a requirement to dance your ass off at these kind of things, otherwise you're liable to a grilling afterwards on a forum. I wasn't there last night but I was in Manchester last year up front, and whilst I was jumping up and down for a fraction of the show and see singing along to most of the songs (except the Electric songs because the album stupidly wasn't out yet), I think when I look back at my performance I probably wasn't good enough for some people.

Spare a thought for those who were having a good time (I had a great time in M'cr), but just didn't want to dance so much.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Remark

#11 Post by Remark »

ZiggyPSB wrote:I take it no one got involved in any fights.

I didn't know it was a requirement to dance your ass off at these kind of things, otherwise you're liable to a grilling afterwards on a forum. I wasn't there last night but I was in Manchester last year up front, and whilst I was jumping up and down for a fraction of the show and see singing along to most of the songs (except the Electric songs because the album stupidly wasn't out yet), I think when I look back at my performance I probably wasn't good enough for some people.

Spare a thought for those who were having a good time (I had a great time in M'cr), but just didn't want to dance so much.
Didn't mean to come off as aggressive or grill anyone. My point simply was that this show is intended to be energetic, 'banging with strobes and lasers' and all that, and N&C's intentions are certainly that the atmosphere is 'rave-like'. If this was, let's say a Sigur Rós show (another one of my favourite bands), then yes we could be standing in awe of the experience and audio and artistic expression of it all. This show, however, is a different vibe all together.

I was just shocked that so many people in the front were just standing really, not moving, almost as if they were annoyed PSB were playing anything but mega-hits. When people aren't even moving to Fugitive or Integral (especially right up at the very front after getting in when the doors opened and standing there for hours before the show begins), it's frustrating.

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com

jamie1978

#12 Post by jamie1978 »

i preferred this to the o2 show, both in terms of audience and also technically - the venue was the perfect size for the show, and the lights/lasers/projects look that much more impressive when they fill your field of vision

however, although better than the o2 show, the audience was nothing compared to Sonar - now THAT was a great audience

Remark

#13 Post by Remark »

jamie1978 wrote:the audience was nothing compared to Sonar - now THAT was a great audience
I KNOW...WOW, now that was an audience!! The full-on Electric experience as intended! So incredible seeing them live during that performance.

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com

Harry

#14 Post by Harry »

Remark wrote:
PSBee wrote: I posted some pics and vids from last night on my Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/remarkcentral

- Remark

You got a great picture of my hands raised up towards Neil, you must have been right behind me. I was having a great time!

Harry
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

PSBee

#15 Post by PSBee »

ZiggyPSB wrote:I take it no one got involved in any fights.

No offence meant and hope none taken. To add to Remark's response...

I don't expect everyone to get up and dance but in the seats to the left of the stage (looking at the stage), there were exactly 3 people standing/dancing until my Wife, Son and I stoood as well. I know that can be annoying to others but to us, it was an up-tempo show that triggered that reaction. In hindsight, my Wife and I both agreed we should have got standing tickets.

What was really surprising was that people weren't even clapping / showing any sign of 'getting in to it', until prompted by Neil on a few occasions (notably, the first few minutes when his hand/arm gesture seemed to question the lack of response).