Reissues project

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
GalataPSB

Re: Reissues project

#2356 Post by GalataPSB »

Classic Pop Magazine - September 2018

Greendrake

#2357 Post by Greendrake »

Shame on them for petshopboys.com

tottenhammattspurs

#2358 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Greendrake wrote:
Thu 23 Aug 2018, 2:29 pm
Shame on them for petshopboys.com
Good to see Parlophone as good as they've always been......
is is and isnt isnt

jhank73

#2359 Post by jhank73 »

ZiggyPSB wrote:
Tue 24 Jul 2018, 8:07 pm
Just for reference, the David Bowie estate announced the latest boxset collection covering Lets Dance through to Never Let Me Down. One of the albums in the collection, a 2018 re-interpretation of Never Let Me Down, is a double-LP compared to the 1987 remastered original which is a single LP.

Never Let Me Down (2018) is actually going to be a three-sided LP, because the fourth side of the second disc is just going to be etched.

So maybe Very is going to have content on 3 sides instead of 4? The fourth side will probably have at least absolutely nothing on it. Think Vinyl Factory's Electric boxset which on the other side of Vocal was completely blank.

It's not. There is three songs a side. Wonder why they didn't go that way for Bilingual instead of cramming 6 songs a side.

billjermaine

#2360 Post by billjermaine »

As someone who skipped all further listenings the first time around, I am BESIDE MYSELF :shifty: with anticipation to hear some of these tracks in remastered form.

These are the ones I'm listening out for the most:

Young Offender: a lot sonically going on what with chunky drum loops and that synth tsunami of bleeps and chords, so must've been an almighty task getting all the levels right on this one - can't wait to hear the results.
Forever in love: something about that extra verse in the edit wrapped in remastered lushness will be enough to convince the ear it's listening to a brand new song.
Liberation: perennially fresh and bubbly so interesting to hear what a 2018 remaster can do to enhance further on this if that's possible.
This must be the place I waited years to leave: bass and drum always sounded a bit too synth-rock-lite for my liking so would be great to hear some extra oomph in the revamp.
Miserablism: played like cassette audio at the time - cute but stubbornly resistant to maximum volume settings in 91, so hopefully some extra room has been allowed for amping with clarity.
Discoteca: another with a lush expansive soundscape - gagging to hear the 'te quiero' crescendo with full woofer support.
A red letter day (album version): that pared back hi-nrg-liteness always fooled my ear into thinking there was something mono going on compared to the other tracks on Bilingual, so will be great to hear some added depth to this.
Delusions of grandeur: sonically ambitious for their own humble synths (as some of their best bsides were) so in dire need of added depth and dimension.

fac23

#2361 Post by fac23 »

@billjermaine
I agree with you on the sound of "This Must be the Place…". The extended mix(es) are mixed to sound much cleaner and spacious which in my opinion fits the song better.

Alex76

#2362 Post by Alex76 »

The extended mix of This Must Be the Place I've Waited Years to Leave is an absolute masterpiece. I believe this is the track I have listened to the most ever.

It’s a pity it was not a single by itself (that Soviet Russia video that floats around on YouTube is stunning), but I’d would definitely have liked to see this mix in the Further Listenting disc.

fac23 wrote:
Fri 24 Aug 2018, 11:51 am
@billjermaine
I agree with you on the sound of "This Must be the Place…". The extended mix(es) are mixed to sound much cleaner and spacious which in my opinion fits the song better.

Wish

#2363 Post by Wish »

All new 6 remasters are already available from Juno! Release date - 24th Aug

ArtHist

#2364 Post by ArtHist »

GalataPSB wrote:
Thu 23 Aug 2018, 11:29 am

Off topic I now but.... Madonna's Imperial phase 1984-89?! 1990 must have been her biggest year surely....Vogue, Blonde Ambition, Immaculate Collection, Justify My Love. There was also Dick Tracy, I'm Breathless and a few other random 'stunts'.

tottenhammattspurs

#2365 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

ArtHist wrote:
Sat 25 Aug 2018, 12:04 am
GalataPSB wrote:

Off topic I now but.... Madonna's Imperial phase 1984-89?! 1990 must have been her biggest year surely....Vogue, Blonde Ambition, Immaculate Collection, Justify My Love. There was also Dick Tracy, I'm Breathless and a few other random 'stunts'.
It’s Classic Pop. They’re always factually incorrect.
is is and isnt isnt

Effen Vida

#2366 Post by Effen Vida »

Up Against It written on auto pilot? The reviewer must be either deaf or dead.

I have the vinyl reissues in hand, yet to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psbnyc

#2367 Post by psbnyc »

So - is Very a single vinyl album or double?

Effen Vida

#2368 Post by Effen Vida »

psbnyc wrote:So - is Very a single vinyl album or double?
As we suspected, all three are single discs.

PopKid78

#2369 Post by PopKid78 »

ArtHist wrote:
Sat 25 Aug 2018, 12:04 am
GalataPSB wrote:

I agree, Madonna’s imperial phase ended after The Immaculate Collection.
Also 1965 is far too late for the start of The Beatle’s imperial phase. By the end of 63 it was well underway in the UK. By April 64, all 5 singles in the US Top 5 were by The Beatles, if that’s not a perfect example of an Imperial phase, then I don’t know what is.

Effen Vida

Reissues project

#2370 Post by Effen Vida »

Finally giving the latest vinyl remasters a spin.
Just heard Bilingual and I can say, unequivocally, that, in parts, it's something of a revelation.
An aurally narrow-sounding album has been, somehow, opened up and given a new lease of life.
Up Against It, The Survivors and To Step Aside were the standouts on first listen.

Heading out to collect a curry and then it'll be Behaviour followed by Very.

Curry eaten.

Behaviour is SMOOOOOOTH. Tim Young has performed wonders with Neil's voice. Just lovely.

How can you expect to be taken seriously? continues to not belong on there and the album should still finish with The End of the World.