This anticipation is a stimulation...

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Harry

Re: This anticipation is a stimulation...

#16 Post by Harry »

Welcome back Drico, I do so enjoy your posts and this thread is going to be a great way to count down to the beginning of the new era.

I can't quite believe our luck, after the excitement of Electric, that we have a whole new era to look forward to. I love this part - the first hints of the music, the artwork, new photos of Neil and Chris, a probable new tour.

'Super', be it a track or the album title, has come at just the right time. For those of us in London we have had a great time in 2015 with two runs of 'Closer to Heaven' and I had my first proper long chat with Chris at the theatre. But 2016 got off to a sad start with the loss of Bowie. A few days after that it's great to have a bright new era to look forward to.

Harry
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Zog

#17 Post by Zog »

Re Drico's comment about "Integral". A couple of days ago, I popped in my Disco 4, mainly because it is (to the best of my knowledge) the first time I ever heard the properly mastered (non-vinyl sourced) extended mix of "Hallo Spaceboy". Anyway, I digress, as I let the CD play, along came the PSB's own extended remix of "Integral". (I should add that I never thought that much of this remix of theirs at the time, probably because it was such a contrast to the original).

However, times have changed, and so have I. I have a pretty decent system in my car, and found myself mesmerized at how ahead of its time this mix was. It is harsh, robotic with huge beats and an effective bassline... but then, you start to hear the harmonies try and break through, first with the choir, and then, triumphantly towards the end the old harmonies and melody "win" with a magnificent orchestral flourish
and the original song harmonies break through to stunning effect. On a good system, this ending is spectacular, and I'm so glad I "refound"
this mix.

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

grantwww

#18 Post by grantwww »

I think "Integral" has become a little stale over the passage of time. I still like it but it just doesn't excite me like it used to. Just another song.

I never did like the remixes but I just replayed the Perfect Immaculate mix following Zog's post and I have to agree. I love it so much more now.

Time is a strange thing.

Thanks, Zog.

Palpatine

#19 Post by Palpatine »

The problem with the album version of Integral is that it always sounded too 1994 for me. The Disco 4 version is meh. The Electric tour version is amazing and is the definitive version for me.

retrofuturist

#20 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Drico,

Nice topic and thank you for the heads up re: Colin Vearncombe.

Retro. :)

Naughty Zoot

#21 Post by Naughty Zoot »

Cheers Drico. I've also been away for a long time and am glad to see a familiar post to comment on. I am with you on 32-30.
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...

Drico One

#22 Post by Drico One »

As the countdown continues, here are two more wonderful tracks that just miss out (but are bubbling under)...

The Resurrectionist, evocative b-side of 2006's I'm with Stupid, drops us straight into Victorian London with effortless grace. Neil Tennant, all top hat and busy lyrics, is a throwback to a different age at the best of times, but here he seems to revel in his new environment as if returning to a previous life. If Chris Lowe creates the urban soundscapes that Tennant habitually travels through to discover the pain and pleasures of life, he's invented a time machine here.

This track invites the complete submersion of the avid listener in exploring a forgotten - or never explored - time and place. The Resurrectionist transports us deep into the over-riding theme of Fundamental - death - and even further into a Victorian London every bit as mysterious, sinister, and seedy as its present day incarnation. I don't think there's ever been a b-side from a lead single that so captured the essence of the album era it belonged to. Spectacularly good.

Bright Young Things (2006), was the magnificent and poignant highlight of the ill-advised Numb release - and another outrageously good b-side from the Fundamental era (even if we were all familiar with the demo that emerged three years earlier around the time of another underrated gem, Somebody Else's Business).

An overbearing sense of bitter-sweet ephemeralism transcends the night as Tennant defiantly but sadly observes the passing of time. Heavy loss permeates and, though he tries ("no one is weary, or lost, or forlorn"), he can't escape the minor tragedy that is his life ticking by. "It's time..." Yet, there's a brave fight to put up first, and he'll make the best of it before he's seen off. The throbbing, quickening pace acts as a metaphor for blood pumping through the body before the stately concluding chords in the mournful finale herald the ebbing away of not just a party, but of life itself.

Drico.

PS Hello to Boyjohn, Grant, Harry, Retro, and Zoot. Happy days are here again, it seems. :up:
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Palpatine

#23 Post by Palpatine »

It was criminal that The Resurrectionist was left off Fundamental.

Zog

#24 Post by Zog »

Palpatine wrote:It was criminal that The Resurrectionist was left off Fundamental.
The synth "hook" alone on The Resurrectionist is insanely catchy... and that's not even talking about the "meat" of the song!

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

MikeyC

#25 Post by MikeyC »

Palpatine wrote:It was criminal that The Resurrectionist was left off Fundamental.

It's absolutely a highlight of their entire catalogue... (esp. the extended remix!) 8)

Tom Angel

#26 Post by Tom Angel »

Zog wrote:
The synth "hook" alone on The Resurrectionist is insanely catchy... and that's not even talking about the "meat" of the song!

-Zog

I would argue that The Resurrectionist is a hark back to the more riff - led songs from their earlier career - particularly side 2 of Please, and that I hope Super and Stuart Price returns them to a little. Less of the galloping pastiche of Love is a bourgeois construct, and more of those lovely horn riffs please! I'm really curious about the new album, and its a great time to hope there is a song akin to the quietly grand quality of Luna Park or Dreaming of the queen, on the new album....

Looking forward to more of the countdown!! A great read.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Ghost within this house

#27 Post by Ghost within this house »

It was indeed. Not only for the brilliance of the song, but also for its thematic resonance. Great track, but the Goetz B mix is the full glory.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Lleonard Pler

#28 Post by Lleonard Pler »

Nice read as always, Drico.

The Resurrectionist + Fugitive should have been on Fundamental. Strong tracks that amplified the album theme (and made it sound more diverse).

Palpatine

#29 Post by Palpatine »

Lleonard Pler wrote:Nice read as always, Drico.

The Resurrectionist + Fugitive should have been on Fundamental. Strong tracks that amplified the album theme (and made it sound more diverse).
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

BrilliantPSB

#30 Post by BrilliantPSB »

Drico One wrote:
whateverman42 wrote: I forgot to say that it's nice to see Drico back, your in depth posts have been missed.
BrilliantPSB wrote:welcome back, Drico. Nice to see you back old man. :)

I'll take that as a compliment. :)
Neil Tennant has a great voice, Chris Lowe has great silence.