Burn is quite good, isn't it?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
alig

Re: Burn is quite good, isn't it?

#46 Post by alig »

Drico One wrote:I think Neil's falsetto on Burn is his best ever. They've double-tracked him, it seems, so he sounds like a proper pop star rather than the strained, horribly out of key gay granddad of Before.

Drico.
Maybe he was double-tracked by the background singer?

http://www.nayannaholley.com/
"John 3:16."

alig

#47 Post by alig »

Did anybody else notice the FLUORESCENT bass at "It feels so good"?
"John 3:16."

D.J.

#48 Post by D.J. »

alig wrote:
Drico One wrote:I think Neil's falsetto on Burn is his best ever. They've double-tracked him, it seems, so he sounds like a proper pop star rather than the strained, horribly out of key gay granddad of Before.

Drico.
Maybe he was double-tracked by the background singer?

http://www.nayannaholley.com/
Yeah, sounds like more than Neil's voice most of the time on Burn.

D.J.

#49 Post by D.J. »

alig wrote:Did anybody else notice the FLUORESCENT bass at "It feels so good"?
That was the thing that jumped at me the most in that snippet of the song and really raised my expectations for the song. Still, the full song managed to shock me with it's quality! 8)
On PSB Facebook page it seems that the Boys are aware of the strong impression Burn left on their fan base. :wink: I think they will definetely play it live in the future. We've really gained some great new banging live songs from Electric and Super. Vocal and Fluorescent were fantastic on the last tour. :up:

Shopper

#50 Post by Shopper »

boyjohn wrote:They played in on Radio 2 this morning, it sounds amazing with all the radio compression on it. But i can see why they would choose Undertow or Twenty-something for the singles, as they have more traditional song structures.

It's at 1:53:30 here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075fsdd

Wow! Thanks...it really sounds brilliant, dare I say very 'It's a Sin' in its OTTness. The Spandau Ballet song post that was so deary... :lol:
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

Actually

#51 Post by Actually »

Anyone else thinks there's a likeness to Burn & the opening credits of the 1995 film Bad Boys ?
I'm too weak to be strong

Cdrodkey

#52 Post by Cdrodkey »

Actually wrote:Anyone else thinks there's a likeness to Burn & the opening credits of the 1995 film Bad Boys ?
Similarly, I kept thinking the last bit really reminded me of something. It came to me today: It's awfully reminiscent of the female vocals in Gary Numan's "Berserker."

Zog

#53 Post by Zog »

I think "Burn is quite good, isn't it?":

... as a question/topic, must be the biggest understatement I've read on this forum for a while ;)

(I'm just teasing you, but flippin' 'eck...) ;)

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

the8thark

#54 Post by the8thark »

No one these days says "Lets go out to the disco". It's always club, clubbing, the rave or somethnig similar. I think Neil and Chris using the word disco is showing their age.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

MikeyC

#55 Post by MikeyC »

the8thark wrote:No one these days says "Lets go out to the disco". It's always club, clubbing, the rave or somethnig similar. I think Neil and Chris using the word disco is showing their age.
I think they're intentionally using the word "Disco" since the track is a throwback to the sounds of gay New York/Fire Island circa 1980/1981. 8)

symco

#56 Post by symco »

Probably the same with "pop and hits" from the pop kids lol :o

Hillbilly

#57 Post by Hillbilly »

I have to say that you get tired of the song pretty soon. Even though the production is good and there is acually a lot going on in the arrangement, the song itself is too repetitive, not much lyrics except for the chorus line all over again.

loveetc

#58 Post by loveetc »

I would love to listen to the original demo with Chris' vocals.

Zog

#59 Post by Zog »

Hillbilly wrote:I have to say that you get tired of the song pretty soon. Even though the production is good and there is acually a lot going on in the arrangement, the song itself is too repetitive, not much lyrics except for the chorus line all over again.
Yes... but that's also because most us have played it to death. My impression, while trying to clear my mind, was that it same across very strongly on the radio, and the huge synth chorus was (as I suspected) strongly reminiscent of "Always on my Mind", which is probably appreciated by people who remember their Imperial Period... but vastly updated. The lyrics are quite OTT too. I thought it worked surprisingly well. Simple, easy to understand, powerful and catchy... with a dash of 80s thrown in for good measure. It's certainly a tough act to follow, which was obvious.

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

Palpatine

#60 Post by Palpatine »

Plus, it has the best middle eight/breakdown on the album. I almost fell of my chair laughing when I first heard it. "There's a full moon glowing red above the sea/And I feel the sun and heat between you and me". It's dead sexy.