PSB in Ibiza IMS interview

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

PSB in Ibiza IMS interview

#1 Post by Nickname »

THE FULL INTEVIEW

------

"The early 80's were amazing. You still had this 70’s disco thing but at the same time, you had the beginnings of hip-hop." #IMSIbiza

"We did work w Frankie! We drove to Jersey City, and Frankie Knuckles made the most unbelievable, authentic track." @petshopboys #IMSIbiza

"We spent many years trying to get @carlcraignet to do a remix for us. In fact, he’s doing one for us as we speak." @petshopboys #IMSIbiza

On live performance: "We wanted to see what was possible with theatrics and keep the energy level coming back." @petshopboys #IMSIbiza

On Berghain: "We like going for pre-lunch drinks - cocktails! We like seeing what people are up to." @petshopboys #IMSIbiza

"Yeah, there’s gotta be a #DonaldTrump song next. But I don’t think we’ve got it..." @petshopboys on politics. #IMSIbiza

"Music can create a culture - a backdrop to how life is carried on. It can change opinions on social issues." @petshopboys #IMSIbiza

On how to keep creating for so long: "You have to exercise the muscles of your creativity to keep them strong." @petshopboys #IMSIbiza

"We’re always chasing the idea of the perfect record-the balance of euphoria, intelligence, sound + crazy instinct." @petshopboys #IMSIbiza

On favourite buildings: "I liked the Broad in Los Angeles. I hate the Shard." @petshopboys #IMSIbiza

"We turned down the Bee Gees to remix, I was too intimidated" - @petshopboys' Chris Lowe @IMSibiza #ibiza2016

"We've always been about songwriting and trying to put them on the dancefloor as well" - Neil Tennant from @petshopboys #IMSibiza

"It's hard work keeping up-to-date with electronic music, there's so much of it now"

Who's your favourite collaborator? "Angello Badalamenti." - Neil. "Ian Wright!" - Chris @IMSibiza #ibiza2016

"I've had some of my happiest times on this island. My favourite club is DC10." - Chris Lowe @petshopboys @IMSibiza #ibiza2016

"Every year we get invited to play in Ibiza, by those people that do the thing on the top of the castle - oh, that's you guys." #IMSIbiza

"I would of loved to go to Studio 54 in New York when it was happening" - Chris - @petshopboys #IMSIbiza

"Passion" by The Flirts as their influential track: "It was sexy, but there was something that was punk about it." @petshopboys #IMSIbiza

Last edited by Nickname on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 2:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

No Muscle Mary

Re: PSB in Ibiza IMS interview

#2 Post by No Muscle Mary »

Great work nickname, thanks!
Churlicious

Bulldog

#3 Post by Bulldog »

Rumours of a techno EP in the works + Carl Craig doing a remix = Disco 5?

Pod

#4 Post by Pod »

Lovely stuff!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Ghost within this house

#5 Post by Ghost within this house »

Bulldog wrote:Rumours of a techno EP in the works + Carl Craig doing a remix = Disco 5?

was the rumoured Techno album mentioned during this interview?
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

alig

#6 Post by alig »

"John 3:16."

MikeyC

#7 Post by MikeyC »

Thank you!!

Remark

#8 Post by Remark »

Sounds like it was a compelling interview. Let's hope the entire thing posts online soon!

Drem

#9 Post by Drem »

I hope for a decent video or audio of it, but guess that Neil & Chris would like to save this interview exclusively for Literally #43.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

psbfannyc

#10 Post by psbfannyc »

The interview in Ibiza could have been better, actually. I sat in the second row. Pete Tong didn't do his homework very well and didn't ask the kind of thought-provoking questions he should have...given the audience demographic was mostly 20-somethings that were DJs and/or record producers. Impressionist people like that at the beginning of their careers need that bigger picture perspective and as we all know, can learn much from pioneers like Neil and Chris. But, I was glad I was there to witness an actual PSB "interview"....I mean, I have been to a few talk show tapings with them in NYC and London, but this just for them for an hour discussing remixes and music production. Anyway, the best part for me...and this can't be captured fully via video or photography, was to see the body language of Neil when he was asked what was the perfect song/album/music experience, and it was great to see how passionate Neil was about constantly trying to reach (or "chase" as he called it) the perfect balance of euphoria, intellect, sound and crazy instinct. I could see it in his facial expression, his eyes and his upper torso....they do take their jobs very seriously and you could feel the passion from Neil.

By the way, an announcement was made prior to the interview, saying Neil and Chris would only allow the first 5 minutes for photos and then that was it...and they had the "photo police" watching.
Attachments
IMG_1141 (2).JPG
IMG_1141 (2).JPG (771.8 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
IMG_1137.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG (630.4 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
IMG_1144.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG (733.02 KiB) Viewed 1641 times

bohemians.

#11 Post by bohemians. »

Remark wrote:Sounds like it was a compelling interview. Let's hope the entire thing posts online soon!
links don t work for me.\why on O.s. is not some link- SOME PROPER WHOLE! :wink:

Nickname

#12 Post by Nickname »

I know it was posted before but well, you can watch the full interview here on the firs post too.