Cassettes

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tottenhammattspurs

Cassettes

#1 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

When your local second hand record shop has cassettes for 20p each.....
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 2987 times
is is and isnt isnt

miserabalism

Re: Cassettes

#2 Post by miserabalism »

That's a great find. I have to say, I don't particularly miss cassettes but this is an excellent set of PSB artefacts to be cherished by a fan! It's interesting seeing the designs in a different format. Even DJ CultureMix was released on cassette?!

dynamobjornen

#3 Post by dynamobjornen »

Its so strange that they produced cassett singles as late as 1999. Surley most people owned a CD player in 99? Cassett singles always seems so exotic to me. In Sweden they where virtually non existent as a format, even in the 80s. It was all vinyl when it came to singles before CD singles started to appear in the late 80s. Indeed a great set of PSB artefacts. Glad they ended up with a true fan.
"Sometimes someone gets upset doesn't hear the laughter takes it as a threat".

daveid

#4 Post by daveid »

miserabalism wrote:That's a great find. I have to say, I don't particularly miss cassettes but this is an excellent set of PSB artefacts to be cherished by a fan! It's interesting seeing the designs in a different format. Even DJ CultureMix was released on cassette?!
We'll done you! The first proper psb album I bought was Very in April 1994. On cassette. I discovered cds later that year. I also bought Pink Floyds The Division Bell on its release date 30th March 1994 (I still remember). There was a great music shop in Chinatown just off Charing x road I used to go to in 93/94 and get cassettes. But I reminisce... How things have changed

spacewalker

#5 Post by spacewalker »

That's very cool. I have this "Can you forgive her?" cassette single, bought it in Brussels five years ago.

PopArt

#6 Post by PopArt »

Yes, much of my early PSB collection was originally on cassette. All the way until Can you forgive her? That was the first new release I bought on CD. I still have all the cassettes from Please through to Discography plus some cassette singles (though in those days I didn't buy every single as my pocket money wouldn't always stretch that far!) I think the first cassette single I bought was It's alright in 89. And bizarrely the last was I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing even though I also bought it on CD. Not sure why...

Brilliant find to have all those in your collection too :)
I'm always waiting...

Paninaro

#7 Post by Paninaro »

dynamobjornen wrote:Its so strange that they produced cassett singles as late as 1999. Surley most people owned a CD player in 99? Cassett singles always seems so exotic to me. In Sweden they where virtually non existent as a format, even in the 80s. It was all vinyl when it came to singles before CD singles started to appear in the late 80s. Indeed a great set of PSB artefacts. Glad they ended up with a true fan.
I had a friend who was still using a cassette walkman in 2006.

JSDOUVRES

#8 Post by JSDOUVRES »

I love cassettes, so many memories as I first got into music in the mid to late eighties when they were very popular and were much cheaper than CD's at that time despite being more expensive to produce. I still have my walkman (JVC) from back then and it still works perfectly! Had it from at least 1989!

I have a lot of PSB cassettes, every UK release plus more and I love them.

I used to buy lots of hardcore mix tapes when I was younger from the local dance music store and still have a few, have transferred them to CD and still listen to them today and some of them are fantastic.

I'm quite a sentimental person and do miss the old days when everything was so much better!!!!

Pod

#9 Post by Pod »

I love cassettes!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 2712 times
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

DJ Pat

#10 Post by DJ Pat »

Did the word 'cassingle' really catch on?

I was always the kind of guy who said ''cassette single'' rather than cassingle

Hillbilly

#11 Post by Hillbilly »

Cassingles? I've never even seen one! In fact I've never had any PSB on cassette, even though I used to buy cassettes before I got a CD player. I wasn't a PSB fan yet. I later borrowed cassettes of Actually and Introspective (with the sides reversed!) from a friend after I had become a fan.

Pod

#13 Post by Pod »

Always used 'cassette single' myself. Never liked 'cassingle'.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

daveid

#14 Post by daveid »

Weren't cassette albums sometimes abbreviated to MC? As in mini cassette? I vaguely remember seeing ads for new albums with CD / LP / MC

DJ Pat

#15 Post by DJ Pat »

MC was Musicassette