Cassettes

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
Issey Miyake
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 9:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#16 Post by Issey Miyake »

my favourite is the Suburbia one, I believe there are two different ones, love the inner pictures.

User avatar
Pod
Posts: 2386
Joined: Wed 27 May 2015, 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#17 Post by Pod »

Issey Miyake wrote:my favourite is the Suburbia one, I believe there are two different ones, love the inner pictures.
Spot the difference!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 2071 times
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

User avatar
DJ Fairborne
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat 06 Dec 2003, 7:30 am
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#18 Post by DJ Fairborne »

I started my PSB collection on both a mixture of vinyl & cassette formats, as we didn't get a CD player until 1992, as they were quite expensive for the first few years, or at least to buy a hi-fi system with a CD player was signifcantly more expensive than one without. Cassettes were so convenient back then too, in the 80's & early 90's, as then most cars had cassette players in them & we all had Walkmans had school, so you could literally take your favourite cassette tapes anywhere & listen to them etc. It was upsetting when a tape used to snap & break etc, as sadly my copy of "Introspective" was chewed-up one night by my Gran's cheapy Alba hi-fi. Oh well...

Anyway, back to PSB, I had "Actually" on LP, "Introspective", "Behaviour" & "Discography" on cassette & a few singles on either 7", 12" or cassette single. The last PSB cassette I bought was the "Yesterday, When I Was Mad" one in 1994, as it had "Euroboy" as an exclusive b-side (it wasn't on either of the 2 CD singles).

Cassette singles did OK here in the UK for a while, they sold reasonably well. I remember back in '89, Kylie Minogue was denied going straight in at #1 with "Hand Of My Heart", as she had sold 2,500 copies on cassette single, but at that point the Charts compilers (it was Gallup then I think) weren't yet including cassette sales (as it was a newish format then), so these were discounted & so she then was marked down to #2. Her record producers S/A/W (Stock/Aitken/Waterman) were not amused & complained about it, and so the rules were changed quite quickly to include cassette singles sales too.

I guess once the CD single had taken over as the primary format by around 1994/5, the cassette & 7" single had started to disappear. The last 7" PSB single I bought was "Can You Forgive Her?", for 50p in a 2nd hand shop in 1993! It had no cover though, but is totally black vinyl.

I remember Mindisc singles were touted as being a big new format around 1999/2000, but can only ever remember Suede releasing one, nobody else. The albums section on Minidisc was always pretty poor too, I remember it being quite tiny in HMV & Virgin at the time! As for now of course, well even the digital download is suffering as the primary format now, well for singles anyway, is streaming. Oh well...

User avatar
Vince
Posts: 4405
Joined: Wed 27 Oct 2004, 7:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#19 Post by Vince »

I remember getting a cd system in 2001.
My last cassette purchase was Release around about the same time.
What was the last PSB cassette release?

I would never get rid of my PSB cassette collection, but of other artists and compilations, I'm considering making an art project out of all the tape!
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

Wish
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:32 am
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#20 Post by Wish »

The most late cassettes I had - was Pop Art and Disco 3. Sold all bunch of PSB tapes on Ebay a couple years ago.

User avatar
Ghost within this house
Posts: 3175
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#21 Post by Ghost within this house »

This thread makes me tearful with nostalgia.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#22 Post by daveid »

DJ Fairborne wrote:I started my PSB collection on both a mixture of vinyl & cassette formats, as we didn't get a CD player until 1992, as they were quite expensive for the first few years, or at least to buy a hi-fi system with a CD player was signifcantly more expensive than one without. Cassettes were so convenient back then too, in the 80's & early 90's, as then most cars had cassette players in them & we all had Walkmans had school, so you could literally take your favourite cassette tapes anywhere & listen to them etc. It was upsetting when a tape used to snap & break etc, as sadly my copy of "Introspective" was chewed-up one night by my Gran's cheapy Alba hi-fi. Oh well...

Anyway, back to PSB, I had "Actually" on LP, "Introspective", "Behaviour" & "Discography" on cassette & a few singles on either 7", 12" or cassette single. The last PSB cassette I bought was the "Yesterday, When I Was Mad" one in 1994, as it had "Euroboy" as an exclusive b-side (it wasn't on either of the 2 CD singles).

Cassette singles did OK here in the UK for a while, they sold reasonably well. I remember back in '89, Kylie Minogue was denied going straight in at #1 with "Hand Of My Heart", as she had sold 2,500 copies on cassette single, but at that point the Charts compilers (it was Gallup then I think) weren't yet including cassette sales (as it was a newish format then), so these were discounted & so she then was marked down to #2. Her record producers S/A/W (Stock/Aitken/Waterman) were not amused & complained about it, and so the rules were changed quite quickly to include cassette singles sales too.

I guess once the CD single had taken over as the primary format by around 1994/5, the cassette & 7" single had started to disappear. The last 7" PSB single I bought was "Can You Forgive Her?", for 50p in a 2nd hand shop in 1993! It had no cover though, but is totally black vinyl.

I remember Mindisc singles were touted as being a big new format around 1999/2000, but can only ever remember Suede releasing one, nobody else. The albums section on Minidisc was always pretty poor too, I remember it being quite tiny in HMV & Virgin at the time! As for now of course, well even the digital download is suffering as the primary format now, well for singles anyway, is streaming. Oh well...
AH! Minidiscs. An excellent format both reliable and versatile. You could edit them, shuffle the tracks around, record at 3 quality rates depending on space and they were well protexted within their plastic casing. I had a minidiscman and a cassette/ cd/minidisc hifi which I bought in 202 when they were sort of at their peak. I remember seeing Nightlife on MD at HMV Oxford St. I only got rid of the hifi 6 months ago. An excellent format that sadly fell between several stools. Oh those darn onions get you every time... :boo:

User avatar
DJ Pat
Posts: 1477
Joined: Sun 21 Aug 2005, 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#23 Post by DJ Pat »

Didn't some tapes have the same tracklistings as 'Maxi' CD singles?

User avatar
Pod
Posts: 2386
Joined: Wed 27 May 2015, 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#24 Post by Pod »

DJ Pat wrote:Didn't some tapes have the same tracklistings as 'Maxi' CD singles?
They did indeed.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

User avatar
stopthecar
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun 23 Jan 2005, 1:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#25 Post by stopthecar »

spacewalker wrote:That's very cool. I have this "Can you forgive her?" cassette single, bought it in Brussels five years ago.
They sold cassette singles in Brussels ? I have never seen any cassette single here in Belgium.
Only the full albums were sold on cassette.

You were all so Lucky. Those cassette singles look great. I definitly would have bought them in the 80's.

The first single I bought was "So Hard" on CD.

spacewalker
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun 08 Nov 2009, 11:11 am
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#26 Post by spacewalker »

stopthecar wrote:
They sold cassette singles in Brussels ? I have never seen any cassette single here in Belgium.
Only the full albums were sold on cassette.
It was some kind of "unofficial" (hope you get what I mean) vinyl/CD/cassette store with a lot of great stuff. I even found the live album by the mostly unknown british postpunk band The Sound on vinyl and it's awfully rare! "Blue Monday" 12" single was also present, such a legendary thing.

User avatar
agent doris
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#27 Post by agent doris »

A few rare ones!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (474.91 KiB) Viewed 1783 times

Bulldog

Re: Cassettes

#28 Post by Bulldog »

I became a fan in 1993 and up until Alternative I basically discovered their classic albums through tapes. Can't say I miss the format very much, as it was a bit boring: also the italian editions were sort of poor, with simplified artwork, no inner pictures and several typos. But you can't deny that with cassettes, as it was harder to skip tracks, you could really "learn" an album inside out, which became increasingly harder with CDs and digital formats...

User avatar
DJ Pat
Posts: 1477
Joined: Sun 21 Aug 2005, 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#29 Post by DJ Pat »

Did anyone ever overplay their tapes so much they chewed and you had to do the emergency splice and repair with sellotape?

I soon got used to having a blank spot and skip during several of my favourite tapes, then they invented CDs....

User avatar
Pod
Posts: 2386
Joined: Wed 27 May 2015, 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Cassettes

#30 Post by Pod »

DJ Pat wrote:Did anyone ever overplay their tapes so much they chewed and you had to do the emergency splice and repair with sellotape?

I soon got used to having a blank spot and skip during several of my favourite tapes, then they invented CDs....

Yep- but I invariably bought a new one rather than repair. :oops:
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests