Sad news - Iain Bell

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Andie

Re: Sad news - Iain Bell

#16 Post by Andie »

:( RIP - So very sad.
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

PSBPiggymummy

#17 Post by PSBPiggymummy »

That is so sad to hear. I lost my Mum to cancer when she was just 42 so that was almost my 'norm'. It's still shocking to hear of losing someone so young. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

lucienchardon

#18 Post by lucienchardon »

Sorry to read, very sad news indeed.

Issey Miyake

#19 Post by Issey Miyake »

so sad, Godspeed Iain xx

Bulldog

#20 Post by Bulldog »

Condolences and deepest sympathies from Italy.

alig

#21 Post by alig »

My condolences!
"John 3:16."

redsock

#22 Post by redsock »

So sorry to hear this. Always a nice guy on the forum. :(

Marie loves PSB

#23 Post by Marie loves PSB »

This is sad to hear. RIP Pet Shop Boys fan!

Ramzy

#24 Post by Ramzy »

Hi guys. I've been contacted by Iain's mate Gareth, who's been designated his next of kin and therefore left to pay for Iain's funeral at little notice with money he doesn't have. He's asked me to share this message for reasons that I'm sure will be clear. If anyone feels able to help I know it would be very gratefully appreciated.

---------

Hello. We are crowd funding for the funeral of our good friend Iain Bell from Saltash, as he has no living relatives and no one to give him the send-off he deserves.

On Sunday 1 October at around 10:00am the world lost our dear, kind friend Iain Bell. He died in the ICU at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, surrounded by his friends with some of his favourite music playing. It was the day before his 40th birthday.

Now that he has gone, his long-term friend Gareth and partner Becky are facing the costs of the funeral. Iain had no assets that can be off set and the cost is estimated to be £3,000. A deposit of £1,400 is required for the funeral to go ahead.

Gareth and Becky are planning their wedding, a day that Iain was so looking forward to, and are currently considering delaying it in order to pay for the funeral deposit. If you can spare anything it will help immensely. Iain deserved a decent farewell as he was truly one of the nicest people you could meet and had suffered so much hardship in his short life.

To read Iain's full story, please visit https://www.facebook.com/IainBellFuneralFundraiser

Katie Snell has set up a Just Giving page on our behalf: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... =DRgWjzdnZ

IAIN'S STORY

Iain suffered chronic illness his whole life, eventually losing a job he loved because of it. In later years he became a carer for both his mum, who had lost her hearing, and younger sister who was disabled. They were his world.

On 30 June 2016, Iain’s mum Kathryn died after a short illness, she was just 58, and died just under 2 weeks before her 59th birthday. Iain was devastated but his sister, Katy, kept him going.

Katy was paralysed and bed-ridden from a young age, but had a wicked sense of humour and a super sharp mind. She gave Iain his reason to live. Then earlier this year, Iain was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma. It was very serious but treatable, and in a young man there was every chance of survival the doctors told him.

Whilst in hospital receiving treatment for his cancer, Katy was taken into a care home for a few weeks. Iain suffered great stress and worry – this was the first time they had ever been apart in their lives. While there, she tragically died on 16 July 2017, aged just 34. Iain was absolutely destroyed by this, his reason for living gone. Losing Katy was almost too much to cope with. An inquest into her death will be held in December.

His friends all rallied to keep him cheerful and he soon became determined to beat the cancer. Some of his friends lived far away, but through emails, texts and videos people tried to keep his spirits up. He went through three gruelling rounds of Chemotherapy. All the while living alone in the house he had lived in with his mum and sister.

It was a real struggle but when we spoke he would always say “Oh yes, I’m not feeling great, but anyway how are you, what’s going on in your life?” He never wanted to be a burden and was always more concerned about others than himself.

On Wednesday 27 September Gareth got the call we had been dreading, the hospital rung to say Iain was gravely ill and we needed to get there now. Iain had designated Gareth as 'next of kin' as he had no living family left.

Gareth and his partner Becky jumped on the next train from Bristol to Plymouth and another friend Hannah jumped in the car and drove from London. Kweku, a friend who lives locally, also dropped everything. He also had visits and calls from his dear friends Gina, Dan, Cody, Katie and Ben. Iain was visibly overjoyed by the attention! He was constantly telling us how sorry he was to have brought us there and how thankful he was that we were there.

In the early hours of Sunday morning, we opened his birthday presents and cards at his request, because he knew he was not going to make it to his 40th. Yet right up until the end he never stopped joking, despite all the pain. He was listening to his favourite bands the Pet Shop Boys and New Order and telling us little known facts about them. His music trivia knowledge was perfect, never once affected by the illness spreading rapidly through his body.

Iain was a beautiful soul who brought smiles to so many, even in such tragic circumstances. It is only right that he deserves a proper send off.
I must disengage your recreational music.

Native

#25 Post by Native »

Awful news.
Good to see they have reached their target to allow the guy a funeral.

le petit corbusier

#26 Post by le petit corbusier »

Rip...

Look left, then right
And run for your life

alig

#27 Post by alig »

He really had a tough life what with his mom and sister and his illness. It breaks my heart. May God rest his soul.
"John 3:16."

psbfannyc

#28 Post by psbfannyc »

I hope they play his favourite Pet Shop Boys songs and productions at his funeral. If anyone goes to his funeral, please let us know what music was played for his beautiful soul. Thank you!

daveid

#29 Post by daveid »

This is desperately sad. I'm so sorry. Life is so unfair for some.

Corina

#30 Post by Corina »

What a sad (real...) story. May he rest in peace, he was an angel on Earth.
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?