New EP in April: Agenda

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Undertaker

Re: New EP on April: Agenda

#406 Post by Undertaker » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 10:28 pm

A nice surprise Agenda was this week. We've patiently waited long enough for new stuff.

Stupidity - Bogey
Social Media - Bogey
The Rich - Par
Forgotten Child - Birdie Time

Pretty decent set of songs, although i'll not revisit the first two much and id be dissapointed if they were album material. I dont think they're upto PSBs albums standards. Not even fillers.

The Rich is just mental. Reminds me a bit of HAPPINESS. Thats nuts too but a good track as well.

The Forgotten Child is excellent quality. This would have made a top B-Side and would easily fit on any album.

Disco.

#407 Post by Disco. » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 10:51 pm

minimal wrote:
Fri 08 Feb 2019, 10:09 pm
contraddictive wrote:
Fri 08 Feb 2019, 9:55 pm
If you don't like it, listen to something else from their impressive catalogue.
If people don't like it, let them state their opinion here. It's okay to praise, so it should be okay to criticise, too.

Muscially (!), "Agenda" is as much outdated as possible. It's beyond me how the could come up with such a pile of outdated, cheap, cringe-worthy crap. In my opnion, these are the weakest tracks ever to be added to their "impressive catalogue". They're independent. They could work with fantastic producers and musicians. They don't. Instead, they sound incredibly dated. It's ridiculous and embarrassing. Where's the quality control Neil is speaking of? It's either gone or their taste has turned abstruse.

Calm down ! Take a chill pill !
m+

RMC

#408 Post by RMC » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:24 pm

Seems to be selling....
Attachments
2F1CA7A3-69B6-4E3A-AC1B-734C3DA798B1.png
2F1CA7A3-69B6-4E3A-AC1B-734C3DA798B1.png (330.65 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

utterlypsb

#409 Post by utterlypsb » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:33 pm

Mmm the songs are growing on me. Some of the lyrics are pretty awful but isn't that what we see "on social media"?
My initial feelings are the production is ordinary and surprise surprise, I see that Tim Powell is one of the Xenomania crowd. Yes remains one of the PSB albums I rarely revisit. It's just too pop apart from King of Rome and The Way It Used To Be. These tracks are underdone. My favourite is without a doubt The Forgotten Child.
Am I the only person who cringed when Neil says WTF in one of the tracks?
It will all do as long as we don't get another banging dance album in the Autumn. PSB are overdue a reflective, well produced beautiful album.
Many roads will cross through many lives, but somehow we'll survive

ZiggyPSB

#410 Post by ZiggyPSB » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:36 pm

An embarrassing song worthy of the embarrassing situation.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Disco.

#411 Post by Disco. » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:46 pm

utterlypsb wrote:
Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:33 pm
Mmm the songs are growing on me. Some of the lyrics are pretty awful but isn't that what we see "on social media"?
My initial feelings are the production is ordinary and surprise surprise, I see that Tim Powell is one of the Xenomania crowd. Yes remains one of the PSB albums I rarely revisit. It's just too pop apart from King of Rome and The Way It Used To Be. These tracks are underdone. My favourite is without a doubt The Forgotten Child.
It will all do as long as we don't get another banging dance album in the Autumn. PSB are overdue a reflective, well produced beautiful album.
I’m hoping for a banging dance album.
Well, it’s impossible to please everyone, unfortunately.

Pod

#412 Post by Pod » Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:59 pm

Disco. wrote:
Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:46 pm
utterlypsb wrote:
I’m hoping for a banging dance album.
Well, it’s impossible to please everyone, unfortunately.
Me too...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

ZiggyPSB

#413 Post by ZiggyPSB » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 12:01 am

utterlypsb wrote:
You may cringe, I’m sure Neil doesn’t use millennial language except in these satirical songs but you wouldn’t believe how many people will say WTF or Lol without vocally expressing those text shorthand. In this day and age some people young and old will vocalise a text shorthand and it’s stupid.

Although I’ve heard people much older than me who would say Lol for something that isn’t that funny for mild sarcasm. If something was lol worthy they actually would laugh out loud.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

lucienchardon

#414 Post by lucienchardon » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 12:17 am

RMC wrote:
Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:24 pm
Seems to be selling....
Top 10 in France! That's a big achievement for PSB.

retrofuturist

#415 Post by retrofuturist » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 12:56 am

Greetings,
ZiggyPSB wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 12:01 am
Neil doesn’t use millennial language except in these satirical songs
Speaking of which, "clucks"... never heard of that used as a noun before, but apparently it's a thing according to Urban Dictionary...

That said, I can't help but wonder if he meant "cucks".

Retro.

canveyboy

#416 Post by canveyboy » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 12:57 am

So hang on, it’s currently no.2 on the UK iTunes album chart? WTF?!

How on Earth did they manage that??? That’s fantastic news!!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

retrofuturist

#417 Post by retrofuturist » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:21 am

Greetings Mikey,

I see no evidence there - merely partisan hacks presenting their Trump Derangement Syndrome, conjecture and doom-mongering as "News".

"Morning Joe"? Come on, seriously... that warrants the kind of derision that someone from the other side of politics receives when they exclusively refer to Fox News or Breitbart.

Proof if any, that Neil could have come up with a far more interesting EP if he explored themes like echo chambers, media narratives and propaganda, child trafficking, the demonization of traditional border security and how everything is portrayed as "racist" or "xenophobic" in order to promote the radical agenda of open borders etc.

Retro.
Last edited by retrofuturist on Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeyC

#418 Post by MikeyC » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:37 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:21 am
Greetings Mikey,

I see no evidence there - merely partisan hacks presenting their Trump Derangement Syndrome, conjecture and doom-mongering as "News".

"Morning Joe"? Come on, seriously... that warrants the kind of derision that someone from the other side of politics receives when they exclusively refer to Fox News or Breitbart.

Proof if any, that Neil could have come up with a far more interesting EP if he explored themes like echo chambers, media narratives and propaganda etc.

Retro.
"Morning Joe" derives its reporting from NBC News and the other clip is from CBS News. Respected News outlets. There are also other similar clips from The Washington Post, The Guardian, and so on.

Jacob Soberoff, the journalist in the MSNBC footage, has lived and breathed this story from the beginning and is well-respected.

Aside from the living conditions of the children taken from their parents, I notice you haven't tried to debunk other aspects of this Trump Administration separation policy nightmare. I guess you're only partially brainwashed.

D.J.

#419 Post by D.J. » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:44 am

canveyboy wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 12:57 am
So hang on, it’s currently no.2 on the UK iTunes album chart? WTF?!

How on Earth did they manage that??? That’s fantastic news!!
Currently it's number 10 on the U.S. album chart. It will be ironic if this release is their highest charted entry in years, but then maybe it's just a sign of times as people appreciate simplicity and directness. :)

MikeyC

#420 Post by MikeyC » Sat 09 Feb 2019, 2:05 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:40 am
Greetings,
MikeyC wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:37 am
"Morning Joe" derives its reporting from NBC News and the other clip is from CBS News. Respected News outlets. There are also other similar clips from The Washington Post, The Guardian, and so on.... Jacob Soberoff, the journalist in the MSNBC footage
You're basically reeling off a list of the Globalist Left's "echo chamber". Therefore, "respected" only by people who respect the globalist agenda. Are you familiar with the concept of the "Mockingbird Media"? Are you familiar with Nancy Pelosi's explanation of the "Wrap Up Smear"?

Frankly, I have no problem you having your views, merely when you accuse fellow board members of lying, simply because they disagree with you. Doesn't really help, does it?
MikeyC wrote:
Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:37 am
Aside from the living conditions of the children taken from their parents, I notice you haven't tried to debunk other aspects of this Trump Administration separation policy nightmare. I guess you're only partially brainwashed.
Frankly, I don't bother, because I have better things to do than quarrel with those suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome. Free speech entitles you present your view or to ask a question, but it doesn't entitle you to an audience, or a response.

Retro.

When you wrote this:

"I see no evidence there - merely partisan hacks presenting their Trump Derangement Syndrome, conjecture and doom-mongering as "News"

is it possible you only watched the first few minutes of the clips, as the reporters talked on camera to the anchors in the studio? That's what I'm guessing because further in the clips is the actual footage of inside the structures that are housing the separated children and families. You see them in the chain-link compartments. You see children on their own without their parents. You see them sleeping in those foil "blankets".

YOU. SEE. THEM.

WITH. YOUR. OWN. EYES.

So if you're saying it didn't happen, you've entered the world of "Gaslighting" which, unfortunately, has become a popular phenomenon with the Trump folks and supporters.

"Alternative facts."

"Truth isn't truth!"

Welcome to 2019.