Of course it might just be me........

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
markrobertnolan
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon 02 Jul 2012, 10:01 pm
Contact:

Of course it might just be me........

#1 Post by markrobertnolan » Wed 17 Apr 2019, 1:16 pm

Am I really the only person disappointed they have said in Annually that they've moved on from the sounds of Electric and Super - as I think they have been jaw dropping reinvention work from Electric onwards. Real top notch stuff (until Agenda). I hope they don't pandy too much to the Nannas. There are too many Pet Shop Nannas

Bulldog

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#2 Post by Bulldog » Wed 17 Apr 2019, 1:42 pm

As I probably said before I'd love to see an album of 6 minutes ballads. Slow songs but following the Introspective/Electric extended format. That'd be certainly more interesting and adventurous than another Super cheesefest (or another Elysium). But it's more likely to be 10-12 pop songs in the vein of Actually/Very/Yes, with a standard mix of stompers and ballads.

User avatar
luca857
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#3 Post by luca857 » Wed 17 Apr 2019, 2:38 pm

I very much welcome a (radical) change in both sound and style, neither Super nor Electric have worked particularly very well for me. But hey, a new album is coming, this is good news nonetheless.

Dog
Posts: 1247
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#4 Post by Dog » Wed 17 Apr 2019, 2:54 pm

I think the choice of studio and the old equipment is key here. I’m imaging Electric / Super crossed with the warmer tones of Behaviour... Helping soup up those poppier songs we know they have in the bag, and also softening those darker, harder songs they put to one side too.

Gothic analogue electro
Woof.

Bulldog

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#5 Post by Bulldog » Wed 17 Apr 2019, 3:11 pm

luca857 wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019, 2:38 pm
I very much welcome a (radical) change in both sound and style, neither Super nor Electric have worked particularly very well for me. But hey, a new album is coming, this is good news nonetheless.
Electric was positively an experimental record. I thought they were going to keep that momentum with Super, but it ended up being a lot more conventional and flat in songwriting - although you can say they kept at least some of its predecessor's weirdness between the lines. That unhingedness is probably the unifying element of Price era, so it would be disappointing if they wrapped it up playing it too safe. Being on their own label and with no commercial pressure they should experiment with album formats and things like that instead of jotting down their own insipid "Hard candy" or "Rebel Heart".

alig
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sun 02 Nov 2003, 8:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#6 Post by alig » Wed 17 Apr 2019, 7:57 pm

Bulldog wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019, 1:42 pm
As I probably said before I'd love to see an album of 6 minutes ballads. Slow songs but following the Introspective/Electric extended format. That'd be certainly more interesting and adventurous than another Super cheesefest (or another Elysium). But it's more likely to be 10-12 pop songs in the vein of Actually/Very/Yes, with a standard mix of stompers and ballads.
Like I said in another thread, I doubt they're gonna do another mid tempo album like Elysium. Sales were poor and who wants to listen to six minute ballads writtten by silver aged men? That would be too stereotypical.
"John 3:16."

User avatar
minimal
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri 28 Apr 2006, 11:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#7 Post by minimal » Wed 17 Apr 2019, 9:54 pm

please god let there be a change of direction and let it be produced in a more gentle way. let the sound be minimal electro/dark or at least cool electro and plsss let there be possibly one 'cool!' collabo, e.g. hot chip vs. PSB. pls let it be relevant after all. it's gotton so boring lately... and the cheap sounding agenda doesn't give me any hope rn... also let the release strategy be somewhat different. a double album maybe, or doing it the bilderbuch austrian way: releasing 2 records within half a year and only then tour both records. phew. i really hope for things getting better and more interesting. involve new people, do some reinvention, be different!

m+

User avatar
Pod
Posts: 2076
Joined: Wed 27 May 2015, 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#8 Post by Pod » Wed 17 Apr 2019, 11:54 pm

I agree with the original post, love both Electric and Super. However, I feel we’ll get something more in the ‘Yes’ vein this time around, which would be no bad thing.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

User avatar
Pod
Posts: 2076
Joined: Wed 27 May 2015, 11:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#9 Post by Pod » Wed 17 Apr 2019, 11:55 pm

“possibly one 'cool!' collabo, e.g. hot chip vs. PSB.”

Please God no..........
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Bulldog

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#10 Post by Bulldog » Thu 18 Apr 2019, 12:39 am

alig wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019, 7:57 pm
Bulldog wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019, 1:42 pm
As I probably said before I'd love to see an album of 6 minutes ballads. Slow songs but following the Introspective/Electric extended format. That'd be certainly more interesting and adventurous than another Super cheesefest (or another Elysium). But it's more likely to be 10-12 pop songs in the vein of Actually/Very/Yes, with a standard mix of stompers and ballads.
Like I said in another thread, I doubt they're gonna do another mid tempo album like Elysium. Sales were poor and who wants to listen to six minute ballads writtten by silver aged men? That would be too stereotypical.
But they'd have to be electronic. You' re right, nobody wants another "Breathing space", but I don't see why they couldn't experiment with ballads as they did with fast songs since '13.

User avatar
York Minster
Posts: 5412
Joined: Thu 21 May 2009, 2:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#11 Post by York Minster » Thu 18 Apr 2019, 5:34 am

Electric was chunk and funk delish. Super was bland and sawed off at the edges. I've been watching the new Blu-Ray. People complain about the sound, but I think that's just how the tracks were this time. They "Super-fied" the past hits, and it comes off sounding thin and dull. Still a few decent ones in the mix, but overall not impressive.

I am not holding my breathe for a quality new album.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

User avatar
minimal
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri 28 Apr 2006, 11:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#12 Post by minimal » Thu 18 Apr 2019, 8:47 am

York Minster wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2019, 5:34 am
Electric was chunk and funk delish. Super was bland and sawed off at the edges. I've been watching the new Blu-Ray. People complain about the sound, but I think that's just how the tracks were this time. They "Super-fied" the past hits, and it comes off sounding thin and dull. Still a few decent ones in the mix, but overall not impressive.

I am not holding my breathe for a quality new album.
That's the most accurate description/analysis of the current situation I've read in a long time. Therefore, I do hope for a change/reinvention/new people involved.

m+

User avatar
jasonjohn
Posts: 1936
Joined: Mon 27 Sep 2004, 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#13 Post by jasonjohn » Thu 18 Apr 2019, 2:06 pm

alig wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019, 7:57 pm
Like I said in another thread, I doubt they're gonna do another mid tempo album like Elysium.
Oh they absolutely will.

Electric and Super helped them find a niche for touring.

Maybe the next album will too. I think that's what partly attracts them to a Price trilogy, while they have travel legs.

But I'm guessing they will want to hang up the touring boots at some point soon.

They will both want to do albums with more nuance. It was Chris' idea to do Behaviour, after all. And what a classic that was.

They absolutely will retire to a more creative space. And that doesn't exclude Chris ripping into some retro synth beats (which I suspect the next Price might be anyway, rather than necessarily "dark")

alig wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019, 7:57 pm
Sales were poor and who wants to listen to six minute ballads writtten by silver aged men? That would be too stereotypical.
I'd love to hear more ballads. Fundamental did them wonderfully. 6 minutes is not definite for the next release, but I wouldn't mind a more Introspective/Electric-styled Price finale.

Also Elysium wasn't all bad news, it hit the top ten, and got to the same position #2 on Billboard dance chart as Electric. And let's face it, they both did pretty much equally bad compared to a Taylor Swift fart recording which sell like hot cakes for no clear reason.

alig
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sun 02 Nov 2003, 8:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#14 Post by alig » Thu 18 Apr 2019, 6:28 pm

Buckley's chance for a slow album. Mark my words.
"John 3:16."

User avatar
jasonjohn
Posts: 1936
Joined: Mon 27 Sep 2004, 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: Of course it might just be me........

#15 Post by jasonjohn » Fri 19 Apr 2019, 8:40 am

alig wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2019, 6:28 pm
Buckley's chance for a slow album. Mark my words.
Agreed for the next album, probably.

Forever though? Doubt it. After the next Price? Definitely a mixed album

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 26 guests