PSB in ‘Blinded By The Light’

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
canveyboy

PSB in ‘Blinded By The Light’

#1 Post by canveyboy » Sat 17 Aug 2019, 12:06 am

Just been to see the brilliant new film inspired by the songs of Bruce Springsteen - Blinded By The Light. The whole soundtrack is Bruce with the exception of a few 80s classics (the film is set in 1987). Imagine my surprise when the film kicks off magnificently with Its a Sin!! Blearing out of the cinema speakers! Such a surprise and my wife turned and smiled at me! Awesome. Then as the song ends and the lead character talks to his friend down his street, they talk about music and he says ‘Pet Shop Boys, definitely the best number one of 1987 so far’ - Brilliant!!!

It’s an excellent film and if you love Springsteen like me, 80s nostalgia and a few 80s hits then give it a go! Wonderful film!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

MikeyC

Re: PSB in ‘Blinded By The Light’

#2 Post by MikeyC » Sat 17 Aug 2019, 1:15 am

Very exciting!! Thanks for letting us know!!

Parkol

#3 Post by Parkol » Sat 17 Aug 2019, 9:12 am

Well. To be honest... if you ask people in Russia who is Bruce Springsteen, I am not sure they know it.
If you ask about Pet Shop Boys or Depeche Mode - they are much more popular here.

It seems he had one quite popular song for a really good movie called Philadelphia(with Antonio Banderas and Tom Hanks) - Streets in Philadelphia.
And PSB made a cover version on Electric.

TG

#4 Post by TG » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 4:40 pm

Parkol wrote:
Sat 17 Aug 2019, 9:12 am
Well. To be honest... if you ask people in Russia who is Bruce Springsteen, I am not sure they know it.
If you ask about Pet Shop Boys or Depeche Mode - they are much more popular here.

It seems he had one quite popular song for a really good movie called Philadelphia(with Antonio Banderas and Tom Hanks) - Streets in Philadelphia.
And PSB made a cover version on Electric.
A minor correction required -Streets of philadelphia was the track, PSB covered "Last to Die" by Bruce not Streets of Philadelphia

lucienchardon

#5 Post by lucienchardon » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 5:53 pm

I believe PSB did a live cover of Philadelphia during one of the tours. Probably the Release tour. It's another song from the film Philadelphia but written by Neil Young. But they only played it a couple of times. Sadly, I didn't get to hear it live.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up about the Springsteen film. I will check it out.

leesmapman

#6 Post by leesmapman » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 8:27 pm

Going to see it this sunday

rashomon

#7 Post by rashomon » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 8:54 pm

Love the film, love the Bruce and Neil Young tracks equally - both poignant and aching.

The PSB cover was also very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sePZD-rMZps
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

lucienchardon

#8 Post by lucienchardon » Tue 20 Aug 2019, 3:40 pm

rashomon wrote:
Mon 19 Aug 2019, 8:54 pm
Love the film, love the Bruce and Neil Young tracks equally - both poignant and aching.

That sounds amazing, it's a really good quality recording. They should release a studio version of this.

Andie

#9 Post by Andie » Wed 21 Aug 2019, 10:51 am

lucienchardon wrote:
Tue 20 Aug 2019, 3:40 pm
rashomon wrote:
Mon 19 Aug 2019, 8:54 pm

That sounds amazing, it's a really good quality recording. They should release a studio version of this.
Not sure why, but I've never heard that before, omg amazing :-D
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying

leesmapman

#10 Post by leesmapman » Sun 25 Aug 2019, 8:46 pm

I just saw the movie. Wow, that was a welcome surprise! The movie's introduction is It's A Sin. The main character and the main titles are cut to the song.

One negative point - later on in the movie synthesized music is ridiculed, but the main character apologizes for that with some heartfelt words. Other than that, pretty fun movie, tend to be a bit predictable and over-emotional with a cliche here and there, but I am a sucker for that every once in a while