Weak production

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
alig

Re: Weak production

#16 Post by alig » Thu 31 Oct 2019, 8:10 pm

The production is minimalistic, without outside musicians. Saves money and time. Yet, they never sounded more fresh.
"John 3:16."

Drico One

#17 Post by Drico One » Thu 31 Oct 2019, 8:20 pm

Price has rejuvenated them, bringing a much-needed vitality and drama to their work. Andrew Dawson did a beautiful job with Elysium, but Pet Shop Boys always tend to sound their age when reflective. That's sort of inevitable: with experience comes wisdom, but it's anathema to pop. The challenge for Price with the new record might be to change this: breathe life and excitement into reflection and rumination. In my view, they are at their weakest when sounding like a busking wedding band. To Price's credit, there's been no Winner or Legacy on his watch. The sound has been consistent: energetic, driving, and full of thrills.

Up to now, they've been very focused on what they want with him. Simply by selecting him, they seem to know what he'll give them - and, in turn, they have provided him with lots of gutsy material to work with. When they select Trevor, it's a more self-indulgent impulse that comes to the fore: strings, orchestras, the works. Sometimes you wonder if there's a decent song there to begin with, or whether they just want something OTT to cover a multitude. When they choose Pete, they're releasing a b-side or something for Frances Barber. Nothing wrong with that - it's an honorable and necessary role that he performs with aplomb - but it's on a tight budget and needs must. Comparing him favourably to Price is...an interesting take on things.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

leesmapman

#18 Post by leesmapman » Thu 31 Oct 2019, 9:20 pm

^agreed.
Price understands PSB and knows how to expand their signature sound.

jules

#19 Post by jules » Thu 31 Oct 2019, 10:39 pm

There's no one song on electric that reach the quality of Legacy.

Drico One

#20 Post by Drico One » Thu 31 Oct 2019, 11:04 pm

jules wrote:
Thu 31 Oct 2019, 10:39 pm
You clearly have an ear for music. Sadly, it's Vincent Van Gogh's.

Drico.

ype

#21 Post by ype » Thu 31 Oct 2019, 11:33 pm

Drico One wrote:
Thu 31 Oct 2019, 8:20 pm
To Price's credit, there's been no Winner or Legacy on his watch.
To Dawson's and Xenomania's credit there's been no Pazzo!, Groovy or Happiness on their watch.

Drico One

#22 Post by Drico One » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 12:18 am

Pazzo is merely the interlude that allows the abdicating dictator to escape under cover of darkness to the solace of the inner sanctum. Groovy and Happiness, meanwhile, vibrantly amplify the Super theme of escaping one's head. I'd have them any day over the soporific blandness of Winner and the sprawling indulgent mess that is Legacy, surreptitiously smuggled onto Yes when Brian Higgins was taking a piss.

On a more serious note, it's fascinating to see how people hear things so differently. And to be honest, I think I'm more offended by the idea of Legacy appearing on what was, generally, a lightweight shiny pop album than the track itself. It felt like they couldn't see the album through for what it was, like they had second thoughts on its lack of heft and then panicked clumsily by lobbing on a lead weight just as it was about to be pressed. Horrible. Winner, pretty as it is on the right medication, was just a nakedly cynical grab for airplay dressed up as senior statesmen showing the kids that they too can sit on a stool and croon. Nobody needs that from the Pet Shop Boys (the crooning, not the airplay).

In its own way, Winner suffered from the same problem Yes did: the watering down of a brilliant veteran pop act so that their inconvenient old-school talent could be distilled into vapid, bland inanity in the name of being current. In the process, almost everything that made them great was burned off (though Yes did produce two absolutely brilliant tracks). In essence, if I want Westlife, I'll buy a Westlife album and nobody does Girls Aloud quite as well as Girls Aloud. This is the one thing that Price has recognised. They are their own genre.

Drico.

jules

#23 Post by jules » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 12:46 am

Drico One wrote:
Thu 31 Oct 2019, 11:04 pm
jules wrote:
Thu 31 Oct 2019, 10:39 pm
You clearly have an ear for music. Sadly, it's Vincent Van Gogh's.

Drico.
You clearly has a talent for writing. Sadly it's a lot of intellectual masturbation and bullshit.

Drico One

#24 Post by Drico One » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 12:50 am

Well, that escalated quickly. :shifty:

Clearly, I have offended you with what was intended as a bit of throwaway humour. Apologies if so. Not my intention.

That said, it's quite something that we all feel differently about so many tracks. I'm not sure it needs to degenerate into personal invective, though.

Drico.

MikeyC

#25 Post by MikeyC » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 3:12 am

Drico One wrote:
Thu 31 Oct 2019, 8:03 pm
Trevor Horn is 112 now and reduced to doing bizarre 80s nostalgia shows on German TV. I like Trevor, but it's clear he hasn't a clue that he worked with them as recently as 2006. He was part of the review panel on BBC Radio this year when On Social Media was up for judgement. It was obvious he's forgotten anything he did with them bar Left to my own devices and he's living in a permanent sepia-toned bubble that's forever stuck in 1989 like the DeLorean that he clearly drives. If they work with Trevor again, they may as well exhume the body of Eric Watson for their next photo shoot and disinter Derek Jarman for a video to be shot in the shadow of the Berlin Wall. They're'd be more life in them than Trevor.

Drico.

Oooof! But how do you REALLY feel about Trevor??

:lol:

retrofuturist

#26 Post by retrofuturist » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 4:02 am

Greetings,
MikeyC wrote:
Fri 01 Nov 2019, 3:12 am
Drico One wrote:
Thu 31 Oct 2019, 8:03 pm
Trevor Horn is 112 now and reduced to doing bizarre 80s nostalgia shows on German TV. I like Trevor, but it's clear he hasn't a clue that he worked with them as recently as 2006. He was part of the review panel on BBC Radio this year when On Social Media was up for judgement. It was obvious he's forgotten anything he did with them bar Left to my own devices and he's living in a permanent sepia-toned bubble that's forever stuck in 1989 like the DeLorean that he clearly drives. If they work with Trevor again, they may as well exhume the body of Eric Watson for their next photo shoot and disinter Derek Jarman for a video to be shot in the shadow of the Berlin Wall. They're'd be more life in them than Trevor.

Drico.
Oooof! But how do you REALLY feel about Trevor??
Yeah, as humourous as a bit of tongue in cheek banter can be, I find the above to be pretty disrespectful, especially when you consider that he took the time to give this very forum an interview here in 2016, which directly contradicts some of these "points".

Retro. :)

glennjridge

#27 Post by glennjridge » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 4:45 am

if I had to guess, I'd say the PSB and Trevor had a falling out and the way he is acting is the end result of it. when I read him imply he wasnt aware of what the PSB was up to I thought its kind of like purposely pretending to forget someone's name on purpose simply to get a dig in.
Oh have Ned and Collin got a new album out?..I had no idea...

minimal

#28 Post by minimal » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 5:42 am

I've got some friends who work as musician or producer and all of them say that the mixing and production of Dreamland is at least questionable. They conform what I as a casual listener think when I listen to the latest PSB single: It sounds distressed and wrecks my nerve. Apart from Agenda being a collection of poitically loaded yet bland tracks (On social media is so captain obvious that it hurts) that are embarassing to listen to to say the least, Dreamland, IMHO, is the worst PSB single to date. It just sounds god damn awful. It doesn't do anything for me. It means a lot if I happen to say that I'd rather give Numb another spin.

Then again I don't know why there's always been a considerable number of PSB fans wishing for repetition. As much as I appreciate their work and canon or Price's effort on the flawless Electric: I don't need a second or third installment of basically the same sound. I'd rather move forward. I don't want Horn or Hague to be in the game anymore. I'd love to see Roosevelt, Coma or Trentemoller producing a Pet Shop Boys record - or whoever *new* they might choose. That would be thrilling.

m+

Tom Angel

#29 Post by Tom Angel » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 8:50 am

Minimal and Psychological are astonishing - particualrly when compared to the recent albums. there is SO much going on in them. Fundamental is such a slightly underrated album. I'd argue it's up there with their first 5 albums.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Parkol

#30 Post by Parkol » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 8:57 am

Listen to Suburbia (1986) and listen to Dreamland (2019). Suburbia still sounds excellent, wide, rich and deep.
Listen to The Forgotten Child, it sounds much better than Super/Electric songs.

Pet Shop Boys need to work with musicians, they need to work who understand music. Probably, Stuart Price knows plugins, effects, sequencers, samples, he really works fast but where PSB magic? It's not on Super and Electric. But it was on Agenda.