Dreamland / No Boundaries / An Open Mind single - October

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
matt74uk

Re: Dreamland / No Boundaries / An Open Mind single - October

#211 Post by matt74uk »

I thought some of you were just being over excitable, but I've just listened to An Open Mind and it's bloody brilliant.

If it was still summer, was sung by whoever is currently popular with the kids, in their early twenties and good looking, that would be a HUGE hit.

Oznerol

Re: Dreamland / No Boundaries CD single - October

#212 Post by Oznerol »

Dog wrote:
Sat 26 Oct 2019, 1:14 pm
Can any Australian posters recommend any (cheaper?) options for getting Dreamland posted out? Asking for a friend who would rather not use the official store.
I´m not in Australia but in Argentina..so as far from UK as you. Juno Records use to be always the best price
plus the cheaper shipping cost..so it´s always a win-win for me!
But you must be fast..because many times when an item went "out of stock"...that´s all...
This is not my signature.

y3potential

#213 Post by y3potential »

daveid wrote:
Sat 26 Oct 2019, 12:20 pm
y3potential wrote:
Sat 26 Oct 2019, 1:11 am

No Boundaries is infectious and an instant ear worm although it does have a hint of Living On The Ceiling by Blancmange about it, although that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Funnily enough I never thought of Blancmange. I find it turns in my head into It Can Happen by Yes, and then I see Christopher Guest from Spinal Tap doing Listen to the Flower People...!
:lol:

I like both b sides equally. They're both very good and far better produced than any previous x2 b-side.

Yes, I get both references there.. Also, listening to No Boundaries a few times today, have they sampled the skipping ropes from Double Dutch at 20 seconds in..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCTCgQ3XJU
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Dog

#214 Post by Dog »

leesmapman wrote:
Dog wrote:
Can any Australian posters recommend any (cheaper?) options for getting Dreamland posted out? Asking for a friend who would rather not use the official store.
I'm not Australian, but you could go to a record store and ask if they import it for you.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Woof.

Dog

#215 Post by Dog »

Oznerol wrote:
Dog wrote:
I´m not in Australia but in Argentina..so as far from UK as you. Juno Records use to be always the best price
plus the cheaper shipping cost..so it´s always a win-win for me!
But you must be fast..because many times when an item went "out of stock"...that´s all...
Thanks, appreciated.
Woof.

Andie

#216 Post by Andie »

While my CD is on its snail pace journey from the OS, I've listened to everything online. I really like both No Boundaries & An Open Mind. I'd give them 8/10. I've got the remixes from iTunes. The best one imo is the PSB remix. It's great to hear new music again :dance:
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying

moxlox

#217 Post by moxlox »

Yeah loving this release, especially the more and more I listen to it.

An Open Mind is very Very I think. No Boundaries is top echelon of PSB b-sides. I enjoy the remixes too (even when I get lost on my vinyl with mis-titled tracks so I am a little confused with what is what....well a tiny bit!)
Last edited by moxlox on Sun 27 Oct 2019, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Circuses and Bread

tottenhammattspurs

#218 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

This Forum:- “ Multiple PSB remixes in the past have been awful. They stray so far from the original and bear no resemblance to the original and are barely listenable.”

Also this forum:- “Those Dreamland remixes don’t sound much different to the original, what’s the point of them.”
is is and isnt isnt

Wish

#219 Post by Wish »

moxlox wrote:
Sat 26 Oct 2019, 12:00 pm
As reported my Dreamland 12" vinyl has different tracks and order to the sleeve and to that which was advertised on the official site.

The actual featured track listing is as follows:
Side A
Dreamland (PSB Remix)
Dreamland (TWD Vocal Remix)

Side B
Dreamland (TWD Dub)
Dreamland (Jacques Renault remix)
Looks like it's the same situation with all 12inches. Here it is on Juno
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/pet-sho ... 750941-01/

Check out actual audio snippets and track times

mole973102

#220 Post by mole973102 »

No definitely not thinking about No Excuses, I thought I had seen that title next to the Pet a Shop Boys before but obviously not. My mistake.
That's the way life is!
You gotta have fun!

mole973102

#221 Post by mole973102 »

Wish wrote:
Sun 27 Oct 2019, 7:28 pm
moxlox wrote:
As reported my Dreamland 12" vinyl has different tracks and order to the sleeve and to that which was advertised on the official site.

Side A
Dreamland (PSB Remix)

Side B
Dreamland (TWD Dub)
Looks like it's the same situation with all 12inches. Here it is on Juno
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/pet-sho ... 750941-01/

Check out actual audio snippets and track times
The download is what I've done. Ordered two tracks off the download as .WAV and the CD single.

I've stopped collecting vinyl as I never play them and they are annoying to store. I'd rather make all the tracks as WAV/320 MP3 folders and store on my NAS.
You gotta have fun!

Gabby

#222 Post by Gabby »

moxlox wrote:
Sat 26 Oct 2019, 2:07 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Sat 26 Oct 2019, 1:54 pm
moxlox wrote:

Side A
Dreamland (PSB Remix)

Side B
Dreamland (TWD Dub)

Which is actually better than the advertised track listing as we’ve got the normal version of Dreamland and the b-sides on the CD.

Also a call out to the sublime No Boundaries - Really very good.
My vinyl has the wrong track listing too. The actual tracks are the same as you listed.
I am glad you said that, as I thought I was going mad the first few times I listened to it!!!
Great news. I was grumbling about the double dip of having to buy every format to get all the remixes. Looks like I have all the bases covered now just with the physical formats!

oakey

#223 Post by oakey »

Finally got the chance to listen to the single and b-sides. An open mind is indeed a great track, No boundaries is too repetitive for me, reminds me of the recent songs they wrote for Musik. Certainly not among their best work in b-sides.

As for the Dreamland remixes, I like the PSB and Jacques Renault remixes very much. The TWD mixes are not my thing (and I actively dislike dub mixes).

Looking forward to the new album.

Gabby

#224 Post by Gabby »

The B-sides are just OK IMHO. "An Open Mind" certainly has a catchy hook and is quite contemporary (with Dreamland, that's twice so far this year for very "now" sounding tracks!) but I think it suffers on the lyrical side somewhat. In some respects they're a bit TOO Neil - can you honestly think of any of these fresh faced whippersnapper songwriters using the word "debutante" in a song in 2019? If the lyrics were actually dumbed down a bit, and as others have said, sung by someone more prominent right now, it'd be a smash.

The Jacques Renault remix started well, and then continued to use that annoying metallic clank all the way through. I don't mind it in small doses, but when you've got a headache, you don't need that grating away non stop for 6 minutes. Less is more Jaques!

I like the PSB remix with the Paninro twist, but it rather fizzles out at the end. Needed a bit more oomph.

The TWD remixes are OK - I particularly liked the darker sounding turn toward the end, which put me in mind of Depeche Mode a bit. Just makes me yearn for that oft rumoured darker PSB album. With the right sound (ie more DM, than PSB), Neil and Chris would be on excellent form I reckon.

A good package overall though I suppose, and bodes well for the new album.

Drico One

#225 Post by Drico One »

Dumb down Neil? The very fact he has an extensive vocabulary and isn’t afraid to employ it is precisely why he’s the great lyricist he is! This is his killer app! When Chris adds that layer of banal moronicism on top, cut with a dash of euphoric melancholia, you have the greatest pop act of our lifetimes.

What do you want? Erasure?

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...