Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
daveid

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#16 Post by daveid »

A b side released on the album? That hasn't happened since Did you see me coming and Vulnerable in 2009

:wink:

Eleven

#17 Post by Eleven »

An Open Mind sounds like a single, more than the single itself.
Lowe stated that So Hard feels out of the mood of Behaviour and that is from 1990, that is why we have Shameless not on Very, In The Night not on Please and many other tunes that would have made the difference.
For me this is clearly the same case.

PoppyAOK

#18 Post by PoppyAOK »

Spittingcat wrote:
Sun 27 Oct 2019, 1:09 am
Is this album going to be full of pop hooks? I hope so.
I hope so too. 8)

minimal

#19 Post by minimal »

Well, as we've been told Dreamland is a standout track in terms of sound and mood regarding the forthcoming record. So if An open mind was that different too I don't get why Dreamland is included on the new album whereas 'mind' is not. However, no matter what the new collection of tracks may sound like I'm pretty sure I'd preferred An open mind to be part of it as it's a much, much better track.

It's the first track in ages that feels more organic and not plastic. The production is excellently rich in spite of evolving a simplistic, yet hell of a tune. Also at least in my opinion the vocal lines are exceptionally well delivered and therefore listenable. Dreamland, on the other hand, features vox of Neil that I can barely listen to. Whereas the first occurs as a mess to me and only succeeded because of prominent help, An open mind truly is an awesome original song. A return to form.

I agree with Drico, it should have been a single in its own right, following Dreamland. In fact, I'd loved this to be the first official single for the new record, leaving Dreamland a single only release promoting that Hyde Park appearance.

m+

Nicholas

#20 Post by Nicholas »

I like An open mind, but... I think perhaps people are getting a little carried away with how absolutely breathtakingly amazing it is. It’s very nice. The production is nice. It’s more reflective than Dreamland. And it’s exciting to hear another new song from them. But this exaltation feels slightly disproportionate, in the same way that the In his imagination and Always worship ‘always’ mystified me.

jasonjohn

#21 Post by jasonjohn »

Open Mind might be too upbeat for the album.

jamie1978

#22 Post by jamie1978 »

It's a reasonably good PSB b-side, which is praise indeed given the quality of their 'bonus tracks'.

But it is no Can you forgive her? Let us not get carried away. Also the tropical house undertones grate somewhat.

jasminewok

#23 Post by jasminewok »

I quite like the song.

Greendrake

#24 Post by Greendrake »

An open mind is what I will use to refer to the whole Dreamland release in my mind from now on. Nothing really needed to be released on it apart from An open mind.

Ghost within this house

#25 Post by Ghost within this house »

It's a great song that showcases their brilliant ability to be effortlessly evocative and, like all of their best late work, nostalgic. The production is superb, and if the rest of the album is of similar quality in terms of production and tone, I will love it more than Electric and Super, both of which have highlights but neither of which I find listenable as a whole album experience.

I wonder if anyone else senses an echo of Domino Dancing? Specifically in the bassline, but also in the overall mood of the song.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

PETHEAD72

#26 Post by PETHEAD72 »

I've listened to this half a dozen times now,it hasn't really struck with the wow factor from previous b sides.i do however love no boundaries
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

Drico One

#27 Post by Drico One »

Ghost within this house wrote:
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 4:16 pm
It's a great song that showcases their brilliant ability to be effortlessly evocative and, like all of their best late work, nostalgic. The production is superb, and if the rest of the album is of similar quality in terms of production and tone, I will love it more than Electric and Super, both of which have highlights but neither of which I find listenable as a whole album experience.
Yeah, it’s magnificent. The orchestration soars, as it does on Dreamland. In my book (which, as we all know, is a very heavy tome), this is up there with A certain je ne sais quoi, The Ressurrectionist, and Always in the superior 21st century b-side stakes. Bodes well for the album.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

y3potential

#28 Post by y3potential »

Been listening to An Open Mind for the last few days and its infectious melody is now firmly implanted. Something else has occurred to me regarding the overall feel of the song. This could well have been or could be the great lost PSB Eurovision entry. No, I haven't been drinking, it just has that Eurovisionness in its sound. I can just imagine [add country of your choice] singing it at the event for some reason..
Last edited by y3potential on Tue 29 Oct 2019, 10:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

TallThinMan

#29 Post by TallThinMan »

y3potential wrote:
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:03 pm
Been listening to An Open Mind for the last few days and it's infectious melody is now firmly implanted. Something else has occurred to me regarding the overall feel of the song. This could well have been or could be the great lost PSB's Eurovision entry. No, I haven't been drinking, it just has that Eurovision-ness in it's sound. I can just imagine (add country of your choice) singing it at the event for some reason..
I thought the same thing (without the rogue apostrophes) and I hadn’t been drinking either.

Nicholas

#30 Post by Nicholas »

TallThinMan wrote:
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:27 pm
(without the rogue apostrophes)
♥️♥️♥️