Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
y3potential
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#31 Post by y3potential » Tue 29 Oct 2019, 10:45 pm

TallThinMan wrote:
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:27 pm
y3potential wrote:
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:03 pm
Been listening to An Open Mind for the last few days and it's infectious melody is now firmly implanted. Something else has occurred to me regarding the overall feel of the song. This could well have been or could be the great lost PSB's Eurovision entry. No, I haven't been drinking, it just has that Eurovision-ness in it's sound. I can just imagine (add country of your choice) singing it at the event for some reason..
I thought the same thing (without the rogue apostrophes) and I hadn’t been drinking either.
You're correct. Duly noted and amended.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

User avatar
retrofuturist
Posts: 3309
Joined: Mon 08 May 2006, 12:31 am
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#32 Post by retrofuturist » Tue 29 Oct 2019, 11:05 pm

Greetings,
Drico One wrote:
Sat 26 Oct 2019, 11:48 pm
... nobody has a more open mind than a child.
Except when they want to eat chicken nuggets and chips, except when they want to watch a particular TV show....

As for the song, I can't yet comment... I'm waiting for the CD single to arrive. You only get one first listen.

Retro. :)

User avatar
Mark R.Y.
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#33 Post by Mark R.Y. » Tue 29 Oct 2019, 11:14 pm

I'm not quite understanding everyone's devotion to this track. I think several other B-sides from the past 10 years, such as No More Ballads, In Slow Motion, A Cloud in a Box, The Way Through the Woods, and No Boundaries for that matter, have stronger tunes.

User avatar
Waffleon
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon 02 Jan 2012, 3:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#34 Post by Waffleon » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 9:44 am

The pace and phrasing are similar to Winner aren't they? Thankfully the sentiment has been dropped though! Great hook. So catchy and PSB. It is so simple though you're trying to remember where you've heard it before. Maybe that's why they've relegated it, they're trying to remember too. Looking forward to the new album.

User avatar
Luke Colorado
Posts: 1803
Joined: Thu 29 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#35 Post by Luke Colorado » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 7:37 pm

Eleven wrote:
Sun 27 Oct 2019, 4:19 pm
An Open Mind sounds like a single, more than the single itself.
This. :clap: The track has restored my faith that these's still greatness in this act.

Dreamland, No Boundaries, Musik, and Agenda are mostly unlistenable IMO.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

TallThinMan
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#36 Post by TallThinMan » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 7:53 pm

y3potential wrote:
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 10:45 pm
TallThinMan wrote:
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:27 pm
y3potential wrote:
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 8:03 pm
Been listening to An Open Mind for the last few days and it's infectious melody is now firmly implanted. Something else has occurred to me regarding the overall feel of the song. This could well have been or could be the great lost PSB's Eurovision entry. No, I haven't been drinking, it just has that Eurovision-ness in it's sound. I can just imagine (add country of your choice) singing it at the event for some reason..
I thought the same thing (without the rogue apostrophes) and I hadn’t been drinking either.
You're correct. Duly noted and amended.
You see this is what I like about PSB fans. Fans of lesser acts would have told me to stop being a pedant and to get a life etc, but we're a cut above that. We recognise the importance of correct grammar and punctuation, even in the face of the Bilingual CD booklet being riddled with mistakes. Bravo sir for taking it on the chin and doing the right thing! :D

User avatar
Drico One
Posts: 5527
Joined: Tue 16 Sep 2003, 8:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#37 Post by Drico One » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 8:08 pm

I don't think a few drinks would do you any harm.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

User avatar
canveyboy
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:38 am
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#38 Post by canveyboy » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 8:36 pm

Mark R.Y. wrote:
Tue 29 Oct 2019, 11:14 pm
I'm not quite understanding everyone's devotion to this track. I think several other B-sides from the past 10 years, such as No More Ballads, In Slow Motion, A Cloud in a Box, The Way Through the Woods, and No Boundaries for that matter, have stronger tunes.
In Slow Motion, agreed!

Cloud in a Box? Where is the tune in that song? I’ve never found it. If you can tell me where it is exactly I’d be interested to know 😂😂!!!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

TallThinMan
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#39 Post by TallThinMan » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 9:52 pm

Drico One wrote:
Wed 30 Oct 2019, 8:08 pm
I don't think a few drinks would do you any harm.

Drico.
The Gruff Grammarian would disagree.

User avatar
Drico One
Posts: 5527
Joined: Tue 16 Sep 2003, 8:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#40 Post by Drico One » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 10:13 pm

He's mellowed.

Disco-Tex and the "Sexelettes" sent him over the edge. He found solace in the bottle.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

User avatar
Spittingcat
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu 27 Sep 2012, 11:11 am
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#41 Post by Spittingcat » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:19 pm

What was “In slow motion” the b-side to?

User avatar
goughsjd
Posts: 896
Joined: Fri 08 Oct 2010, 5:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

#42 Post by goughsjd » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:30 pm

Spittingcat wrote:
Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:19 pm
What was “In slow motion” the b-side to?
It wasn't!
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

    User avatar
    Mark R.Y.
    Posts: 153
    Joined: Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:58 pm
    Contact:

    Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

    #43 Post by Mark R.Y. » Thu 31 Oct 2019, 1:23 am

    goughsjd wrote:
    Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:30 pm
    Spittingcat wrote:
    Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:19 pm
    What was “In slow motion” the b-side to?
    It wasn't!
    I use the phrase "B-sides" to refer to bonus tracks too. Maybe it should be the other way around!

    User avatar
    y3potential
    Posts: 874
    Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm
    Contact:

    Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

    #44 Post by y3potential » Thu 31 Oct 2019, 9:40 am

    Mark R.Y. wrote:
    Thu 31 Oct 2019, 1:23 am
    goughsjd wrote:
    Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:30 pm
    Spittingcat wrote:
    Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:19 pm
    What was “In slow motion” the b-side to?
    It wasn't!
    I use the phrase "B-sides" to refer to bonus tracks too. Maybe it should be the other way around!


    That’s it..! The name of the next b sides collection and the follow up to Format..! Pet Shop Boys, Bonus. Take a bow, Sir.
    There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

    gehegu
    Posts: 110
    Joined: Wed 06 Apr 2016, 2:39 pm
    Contact:

    Re: Keeping An Open Mind on An Open Mind

    #45 Post by gehegu » Thu 31 Oct 2019, 3:01 pm

    Nobody else here appreciate the lost child? Certainly not a hit, but very moving and well constructed.

    Post Reply

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Disco. and 17 guests