Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Hillbilly

Re: The Problems With Hotspot

#541 Post by Hillbilly »

By the way, before this new album Nightlife was my least favourite PSB album, but I'm not sure now... Hotspot is definitely at the bottom! I'm not just into their "nightclub" stuff.

Brasa

#542 Post by Brasa »

Im my opinion It's a good album: better than Super, worse than Electric (that I rank in Psb top 5, maybe even top 3).

Nickname

#543 Post by Nickname »

Roundhead General wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 3:16 pm
nickname wrote:
Philby2 wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:19 pm

10/10 - Introspective / Actually
9/10 - Behaviour / Please
8/10 - Electric / Fundamental / Hotspot (after several listens)
7/10 - Very / Yes / Bilingual / Super
6/10 - Nightlife / Elysium / Release
1 - Introspective and Actually are the best ones. It's obvious (9'5)
2 - Very is the PSB's blockbuster (9)
3 - Please (8'5)
4 - Yes (8)
5 - Fundamental (7'5)
6 - Electric/Super/Hotspot (7, more or less, being Hotspot the best one for me)
7 - Nightlife (6'5)
8 - Bilingual (6)
9 - Behaviour (5'8), I'm not a big fan of this album. I know people will hate for that but it's my point of view
10 - Elysium (5'5)
11 - Release (5)
It’s obvious by you list that you like your bangers rather than ballads. So I can see why you place hotspot mid table as it is a mix of bangers and ballads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I usually love banger songs more than ballads but it's not so strictly true. Because Electric and Super are albums with less ballads and more uptempo songs and I thik Hotspot is better because it is more varied and it's more poppy and melodic (no instrumental songs or typical b-sides being part of the album). Actually had many ballads and it's my Number 1 with Introspective.

PSBPiggymummy

Re: Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

#544 Post by PSBPiggymummy »

I've only had one cursory listen via YouTube on the kids' notebook speakers as I'll listen properly once my CDs actually arrive...

However, based on that listen, I'm pretty happy. I have to say no songs leapt out and grabbed me but neither did I find myself disliking any. I really loved the instant feel good factor of Super but I can see that Hotspot is more the sort of album that will (hopefully) grow on me.

I'm not a real ballad-lover normally but certainly didn't get a bad feeling listening to this album. Looking forward to finding out what further listens bring.

PSBPiggymummy

#545 Post by PSBPiggymummy »

Oh, I also meant to say, I noticed some rather fine lyrics too, which I'm chuffed about. :-)

leesmapman

#546 Post by leesmapman »

After several listenings, the album has gone up in my rating - going from a 6 to a 7.5. I can even appreciate the worst track (imho) Wedding in Berlin, which I now consider a genuine love song like they've never made before. And with lyrics like "don't matter if you're straight or gay" I came to realize that this song could never have been made 15 years ago, which gives the song some emotional weight even. Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Having said that: I usually never listen to lyrics, I consider them part of the music, the melody. Reading your posts here about how well written some of Neil's lyrics are, makes me think on how we all listen to music differently and with different expectations. I love reading all your opinions.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

Ghost within this house

#547 Post by Ghost within this house »

Lyrically, it is their best album since Behaviour, and Neil is right at the top of his game.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Tenlow

#548 Post by Tenlow »

Ghost within this house wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:26 am
Lyrically, it is their best album since Behaviour, and Neil is right at the top of his game.
yeah, I get those „Being Boring“ vibes when listening to „Wedding in Berlin“ :mrgreen: :wink:
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

Ghost within this house

#549 Post by Ghost within this house »

Tenlow wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:32 am
yeah, I get those „Being Boring“ vibes when listening to „Wedding in Berlin“ :mrgreen: :wink:
yes, the insistent paean-like refrain 'married married married married' brings such lyrical clarity to the song, doesn't it? And the hopeless irony of 'because we love each other', as if life were ever so simple. Brilliant, Neil, brilliant.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

MikeyC

#550 Post by MikeyC »

Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:34 am
Tenlow wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:32 am
yes, the insistent paean-like refrain 'married married married married' brings such lyrical clarity to the song, doesn't it? And the hopeless irony of 'because we love each other', as if life were ever so simple. Brilliant, Neil, brilliant.
Naughty 😜

the8thark

#551 Post by the8thark »

leesmapman wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 10:56 pm
Having said that: I usually never listen to lyrics, I consider them part of the music, the melody. Reading your posts here about how well written some of Neil's lyrics are, makes me think on how we all listen to music differently and with different expectations. I love reading all your opinions.
That's the great thing about the PSB songs, we all get something different out of them. Truly something for everyone. That's why they have been great for all these decades.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

Dog

#552 Post by Dog »

Sandy Shaw wrote:
Dog wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 11:13 am
I love this bit where the album is bedding in in my brain, knowing I’ll never quite hear each track in the same way again, navigating the unfamiliar chords and changes.

The standout for me is Price's production - I really didn’t think the analogue concept would be as prevalent but it’s an absolute revelation and he has pulled a blinder. I had enjoyed Electric and Super immensely but was already looking forward to something new beyond the trilogy - well, this is it, and now they can carry on with Price until the end of days as far as I’m concerned. That warm, wuzzy, slightly out of tune analogue fuzz which washes under the album is a triumph. Boards of Canada do a similar thing but it’s great to hear it here on a pop album.

I’ve always, maybe wrongly on reflection, compartmentalised their albums into two piles, with Behaviour, Release and Elysium showcasing the melancholy side of the HappySad seesaw. Hotspot blows that idea wide open - why be one when you can be both? It doesn’t break pop down into fast or slow, it takes a third door, with their new Hansa palate instead bringing a necessary consistency. Not since Actually have ballads and bangers sat together so comfortably.

That HappySad tension also extends throughout the lyrics. The album is shot through with tales of double lives and compromises, of happy people living in a sad world or dreaming of a Dreamland or burning the heather and walking away from everything or sitting at home instead of going out - or, as in Monkey business - imagining life through the complete opposite lens.

But the main thing that’s really striking to me lyrically is the romance. It’s maybe more of a theme here than any other PSB album - it’s most obvious in You are the one and Only the dark (“For only the dark can show you the stars “ is a beautiful line) but it permeates throughout - it even ends with a bloody wedding. This isn’t a world-weary, downbeat response to the peculiarities of today. It’s one where you simply pack your bags, buy a big pad in Berlin, stuff it full of sequencers and vocoders and live out your later years cycling to the lake and eating good food with your best friend and life partner. Neil and Chris may never have been a couple but now, in their sixties, their relationship is clearly the bedrock of both of their lives and hearing them talk in interviews about their creative life together is a beautiful thing, and it’s hard not to think it’s that that shines through on Hotspot... “we’ll be together, always, forever”.

One major callout: how downright sexy is Will-o-the-wisp? What an absolutely awesome opener; that clattering urgency, the rush of Neil’s words and his multiple tones (I love the way he says “a-dored”). This could well have dropped straight into my top five all time Pet Shop Boys tracks. The whole album sounds like a new debut - it’s like the writers of Bubadubadubadum never met Stephen Hague - it’s raw and dirty and a track as exquisitely polished as An open mind wouldn’t fit here. I don’t wanna is another which could have come straight from side one of Alternative.

I think they have given us a rich album here, one which will bring decades of pleasure, and one which gives them a new seam to mine, that subtly shifts away from the lasers and the bangers and reintroduces depth without compromising on any fronts.
So great I wanted to quote your whole review which chimes with the way my thoughts have been going about this album. By the way, the thought of Neil and Chris as an honorary unmarried platonic ''couple'' makes me cry.... (from happiness and the poignancy of their other lost loves).
Thanks Sandy
Woof.

Markpro

#553 Post by Markpro »

Paninaro2020 wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 3:08 pm
Please note this in this is my personal opinion.

Is anyone else really disappointed with this album? I know I am, I think some serious mistakes were made. The album starts off really strong, Will-o-the-wisp really fits in with Two Divided by Zero and Can You Forgive Her. You are the one and Only the Dark reminds me of Nervously off of Behaviour and Happy People is also really groovy.

Why were Decide and An Open Mind relegated to B-Sides? Surely Decide would of made a better finale :wall:

Dreamland is possibly the worst single they have ever done in my honest opinion, Before and Numb are leagues ahead of it! It should of been on a Years & Years album if they really wanted to release it. :gag: Sounds like a parody song.

I really like Monkey Business and Burning The Heather, Decide and An Open Mind would of been great singles too. :clap:

Overall I think this album is the worst they have released it could have been one of the best if they swapped a few tracks. The Agenda EP was miles better than some of the Shi** on Hotspot. I'm glad the Stuart Price era is drawing to a close, I really like some of the analouge sounds on the Album but they never get to reach full potential on a lot of the songs.

Not the best start to the 20's but I have faith that they will be on top form again soon. :down:

For reference I think:

Hotspot 5/10
Agenda 8/10
Super 7/10
Electric 7/10
Elysium 8/10
Yes 8/10
Fundamental 7/10
Release 6/10
Nightlife 6/10
Bilingual 7/10
Very 9/10
Behaviour 10/10
Introspective 9/10
Actually 10/10
Please 10/10
erm...have you heard "Winner", I like Hotspot much better than Super but not as much as Electric (but only because i don't actually go back to Super as much and feel Electric has more flow to it) Hotspot isn't a 10/10 but i will certainly return to it far more than Nightlife, Release or Elysium. I'm usually not a big fan of most of PSB ballads (only a few grab my attention "The Way It Used To Be") but Burning the Heather is a wonderful track and the album version let's it breath.

For my personal taste i would put Hotspot above Elysium, Super, Release, Nightlife and Bilingual and would happily rate it alongside Electric, Yes and Fundamental and top of the pile would be Please, Actually, Introspective, Behaviour and Very (but that was probably due to my age and how much certain album affect you in your younger years as i seriously got into PSB when Suburbia/Paninaro was released and although quality in albums have went up and down over the years i have still found enough on them to keep inviting me back for more).

The album has only been out a few days, give it a few more listens, give it more of a chance and some tracks will win you over.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Disco.

#554 Post by Disco. »

The Way it used to be a ballad ? 😎

Old Soak

#555 Post by Old Soak »

Sorry, I think this is one of their very best albums. It's cohesive, something the mess that was Nightlife and Bilingual failed to achieve. It rings the changes stylistically in a very pleasing journey rather than the jarring clunkiness of Fundamental, they very obviously worked on the sequencing that echoes Please, Actually and Introspective. It is produced superbly, Stuart Price had done a great job here. Wedding in Berlin is a strange choice for a closer to be sure, but I don't dislike it. Listening to the instrumental album there's tons going on, it hasn't been slapped together with a 'that'll do' attitude. Certainly the best of the trilogy. 35 years into a career this is not an album that treads water, its got a real sense of validity.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing