Hotspot reviews

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

drunk14

Re: Hotspot reviews

#289 Post by drunk14 »

rashomon wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 11:17 am
Lots of love out there in general for this album. Averaging around 4 star reviews I think.

EDIT: 78 on metacritic - https://www.metacritic.com/music/hotspot/pet-shop-boys
I think we can focus more on anydecentmusic.com. It's much better aggregate. Much more sources.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

rehmana

#291 Post by rehmana »

I got my 2 cd and signed print today from the official store so looks like their delivery is much better now. I like the whole album apart feom wedding in berlin. I think that has no place on the album and i just dont like it lyrically or musically. Even monkey business has grown on me, ao overall i say 8 or 9 out of 10.

le petit corbusier

#292 Post by le petit corbusier »

Sithblade wrote:Some Gems in the replies in the Guardian article about the banning of acoustic guitars quote

What utter, utter bullshit. I love all forms of music, not so much of the Pet Shop Boys repetitive dirge, they were always a mediocre 'pap' band who produced plenty of catchy little songs to please the 11 year olds.
Talented? If you like that sort of thing. I consider them second rate. There was hardly anything new in what they did and synth bands are 10 a penny and a lot of them a damn sight better.
Acoustic folk/ rock is much more interesting and diverse. I have to say that there are a lot of mediocre artists who are restricted in their style, but you cannot compare the absolute brilliance of someone like Nick Drake, Richard Thompson, John Martyn etc, who musically wipe(d) the floor with the Pet Shop boys.
I have never bought a PSB record as they are dull. After readings Tennants shite, i doubt i ever will.

13 14
I thought this smug, talentless pair had stopped churning out their pretentious, overproduced, joyless drivel years ago, but no, they’re still hanging in there.
I wonder who on earth still buys their music, or bothers to go to see them - and for how much longer as their fan-base approaches pensionable age.
But then again, I hear that Englebert Humperdinck is still touring. It’s a strange world we live in.

Neil Tennant's increasingly uncanny resemblance to Iain Duncan Smith as he ages is one of the most upsetting things in the history of pop.

The Pet Shite Band should be banned..insipid dirge and tuneless singing. 40 Years of the same song being rehashed....

The Matalan Erasure.

I'd ban new Pet Shop boys songs. They all sound the same anyway! ;-)
Lol
Look left, then right
And run for your life

Roundhead General

#293 Post by Roundhead General »

Another good review:

https://narcmagazine.com/album-review-p ... s-hotspot/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

ArtHist

#294 Post by ArtHist »

GalataPSB wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 1:02 pm
THE TIMES

Bar the oversized hat, Chris looks really cool in that pic. He can carry off the shades, zip-up top and jeans combo very well.

glennjridge

#295 Post by glennjridge »

btw I heard "dreamland" in the local drug store yesterday. I couldnt believe it.

Tenlow

#296 Post by Tenlow »

Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

tottenhammattspurs

#297 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

le petit corbusier wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 4:07 pm
Sithblade wrote:Some Gems in the replies in the Guardian article about the banning of acoustic guitars quote

What utter, utter bullshit. I love all forms of music, not so much of the Pet Shop Boys repetitive dirge, they were always a mediocre 'pap' band who produced plenty of catchy little songs to please the 11 year olds.
Talented? If you like that sort of thing. I consider them second rate. There was hardly anything new in what they did and synth bands are 10 a penny and a lot of them a damn sight better.
Acoustic folk/ rock is much more interesting and diverse. I have to say that there are a lot of mediocre artists who are restricted in their style, but you cannot compare the absolute brilliance of someone like Nick Drake, Richard Thompson, John Martyn etc, who musically wipe(d) the floor with the Pet Shop boys.
I have never bought a PSB record as they are dull. After readings Tennants shite, i doubt i ever will.

13 14
I thought this smug, talentless pair had stopped churning out their pretentious, overproduced, joyless drivel years ago, but no, they’re still hanging in there.
I wonder who on earth still buys their music, or bothers to go to see them - and for how much longer as their fan-base approaches pensionable age.
But then again, I hear that Englebert Humperdinck is still touring. It’s a strange world we live in.

Neil Tennant's increasingly uncanny resemblance to Iain Duncan Smith as he ages is one of the most upsetting things in the history of pop.

The Pet Shite Band should be banned..insipid dirge and tuneless singing. 40 Years of the same song being rehashed....

The Matalan Erasure.

I'd ban new Pet Shop boys songs. They all sound the same anyway! ;-)
Lol
I always hate that “always sound the same” stupid line. It’s spouted by idiots. Whenever I meet people like that I always say “vocal, I get along and the sound of the atom splitting” yeah. All the same.
Musical snobs. Morons and always middle aged men who worship at the alter of Paul Weller.
is is and isnt isnt

leesmapman

#298 Post by leesmapman »

You know what always sounds the same? An acoustic guitar (and the same 4 chords)

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk