4th single off Hotspot - I Don't Wanna

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Old Soak

Re: 4th single off Hotspot - I Don't Wanna

#151 Post by Old Soak »

Mano Le Tough - Meh. Does nothing, goes nowhere. Typical DJ ego trip.

Both David Jackson versions are good however.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

canveyboy

#152 Post by canveyboy »

dbaseboy wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 6:35 pm Was just thinking the same @canveyboy. You can so imagine them writing this at Neil’s flat back in the day. Really like it actually.
You really can can’t you. It’s a lovely track. Hopefully we’ll get ITCOITQ one day!!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

dbaseboy

#153 Post by dbaseboy »

One day! Probably on ‘Posthumously’ or ‘Thankyou’ lol but you never know ;)

TallThinMan

#154 Post by TallThinMan »

canveyboy wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 8:08 pm
dbaseboy wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 6:35 pm Was just thinking the same @canveyboy. You can so imagine them writing this at Neil’s flat back in the day. Really like it actually.
You really can can’t you. It’s a lovely track. Hopefully we’ll get ITCOITQ one day!!
I never got why fans rave about this track so much. It always sounded rather ordinary to me. What do you like about it?
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

dbaseboy

#155 Post by dbaseboy »

More nostalgia than anything. Not the strongest of tracks granted.

domino

#156 Post by domino »

TallThinMan wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 8:53 pm
canveyboy wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 8:08 pm
I never got why fans rave about this track so much. It always sounded rather ordinary to me. What do you like about it?
Speaking for me, I like the autumn feeling about it. It's a track I'd listen to while the rain is drumming against the window.

Give the fan made "Good Behaviour Mix" a try. ;)
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Flaffer

#157 Post by Flaffer »

dbaseboy wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 9:26 pm More nostalgia than anything. Not the strongest of tracks granted.
I think the track is almost a microcosm of what they were about in the early days. The first verse is quite matter of fact and realistic but with the hope of excitement, love and or/sex (Soft Cell ish in a way). The next verse iirc in about escapism/travel, a constant theme in their output. Shame the Musical demo never appeared on Nightlife FL
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

daveid

#158 Post by daveid »

Markpro wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm
y3potential wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:43 am
TallThinMan wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:24 am

I've just watched it and I agree. It reminded me a little of the opening titles of the old UK TV programme "Grange Hill" (which is a good thing)! I wonder who's making these lyric videos and how expensive they are to make? Obviously a lot less expensive than the traditional "Monkey Business" style video. Some of them have been excellent.

I see what you mean regarding the "Grange Hill" reference. Watching the lyric video I half expected a giant sausage on a fork to loom into view. Also agree that some of the recent lyric videos have been excellent. Dreamland in particular.
Haha, as soon as i saw the Grange Hill reference the first thing i thought of was the sausage on a fork while badly singing the theme tune
Yep, me too and by coincidence I had sausages and mash for me din dins.

tottenhammattspurs

#159 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

daveid wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:14 pm
Markpro wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm
y3potential wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:43 am

I see what you mean regarding the "Grange Hill" reference. Watching the lyric video I half expected a giant sausage on a fork to loom into view. Also agree that some of the recent lyric videos have been excellent. Dreamland in particular.
Haha, as soon as i saw the Grange Hill reference the first thing i thought of was the sausage on a fork while badly singing the theme tune
Yep, me too and by coincidence I had sausages and mash for me din dins.
Flippin’ ‘eck Zammo!
is is and isnt isnt

canveyboy

#160 Post by canveyboy »

Flaffer wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:02 pm
dbaseboy wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 9:26 pm More nostalgia than anything. Not the strongest of tracks granted.
I think the track is almost a microcosm of what they were about in the early days. The first verse is quite matter of fact and realistic but with the hope of excitement, love and or/sex (Soft Cell ish in a way). The next verse iirc in about escapism/travel, a constant theme in their output. Shame the Musical demo never appeared on Nightlife FL
Yeah it’s the rough early atmospherics for me. When I was young I used to play that demo all the time whilst looking out my bedroom window of a night time. The idea of running away with someone “on a European train from A to B and back again” and the hope of meeting someone at night time coming across them in the queue. Loved how Neil sang it too. Sort of late night/tired/sleazy, I think it’s a wonderful track.
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Eleven

#161 Post by Eleven »

Kind of envy those of you who genuinely like I Dont Wanna...Im trying hard to like it :wall:

Greendrake

#162 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moxlox

#163 Post by moxlox »

Loving this release. All three remixes great and New Boy is really good. New Boy brings my mind back to Actually (yes I know it was written before then).

When Hotspot came out I Don't Wanna did at first grab me, but then it went down a bit in my appreciation. Since it was announced as a single I got back into it, and this whole package has solidified that. Also its now gained a different perspective given the situation we all find ourselves in.

David Jackson Remix 2 is the best of the bunch for me. Pulsating electro. Yes please. :dance:
Attachments
IMG_1642 sml.jpg
IMG_1642 sml.jpg (178.33 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
Circuses and Bread

negative_0ne

#164 Post by negative_0ne »

the edit is good for what it is.
new boy doesn't grab me, but is an average b-side, with obviously a retro feel to it.

the mano le tough version is a good dub version.

the david jackson 1 mix is the best by far, and does a great take on the electro theme.

the 2nd mix is good too, and i detect either chords or sounds from the 'love comes quickly'
at the very end of it.

later

Wish

#165 Post by Wish »

I really like Mano Le Tough remix. He used almost the same sounds as Baba Stiltz in his remix of Burn. But also it has something that makes it more listenable - dancey rhythm. I just need more cowbell.