Can you make Hotspot better?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
MikeyC

Re: Can you make Hotspot better?

#61 Post by MikeyC »

Tom Angel wrote:
Tue 21 Apr 2020, 7:09 pm

Decide however really would have been an almighty closer as opposed to the unanimously considered crap of wedding in Berlin.
Oh it’s “unanimous considered crap”?? Let’s stick to facts. Many fans do not consider it crap and enjoy it, such as myself.

Spittingcat

#62 Post by Spittingcat »

Replacing Wedding with Decide would have made the album so much better… it’s still so hard to fathom why the first was not the b-side, and the second was not used as the cherry on the cake that this album was crying out for.

Pod

#63 Post by Pod »

MikeyC wrote:
Tue 21 Apr 2020, 8:45 pm
Tom Angel wrote:

Decide however really would have been an almighty closer as opposed to the unanimously considered crap of wedding in Berlin.
Oh it’s “unanimous considered crap”?? Let’s stick to facts. Many fans do not consider it crap and enjoy it, such as myself.
I think it’s crap.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

telys

#64 Post by telys »

Pod wrote:
Tue 21 Apr 2020, 11:51 pm
MikeyC wrote:
Tom Angel wrote:

I think it’s crap.
Yep, it's an experimental track, it should never've been on the album. As a b-side, no problemo, but not on the album. Put Decide there instead.
----
You've got me all wrong

Tom Angel

#65 Post by Tom Angel »

MikeyC wrote:
Tom Angel wrote:

It's not often that a song is so utterly and categorically crap - but Wedding in Berlin is and it has no place on an otherwise beautifully nuanced album. Maybe as a b-side or for further listening, or even better simply on the 7" they gave their friends.

An open mind is an astonishing song and should have been a single, but I understand it's absence for Hotspot as it IS very different. nut how the utter lazy cheesiness of Wedding in Berlin DID make the cut is unfathomable. It's a tragedy really, as Decide would have closed things perfectly.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

leesmapman

#66 Post by leesmapman »

I think Wedding in Berlin is a wonderful celebration of marriage. I'm not a believer in such an institute, but remember that not so long ago gays were not allowed to marry. In that light, I really appreciate the song. And yes, it's a weird one on this album, but I've grown to like it and appreciate it.
Besides, every Shakespeare comedy ends with a marriage, so it seems fitting that in the 3rd act of this Stuart Price trilogy, this ride ends with just that.

One of the crowd

#67 Post by One of the crowd »

I've stuck with this tracklist from Day one, though sometimes substitute the album version of Dreamland with my edit, which ends with a reprise of the ending of the PSB Remix at the end...

01: Will-O-The-Wisp
02: Dreamland
03: Happy People
04: An Open Mind
05: Hoping For A Miracle
06: I Don't Wanna
07: Monkey Business
08: Only The Dark
09: The Forgotten Child
10: Burning The Heather
11: You Are The One
12: Decide
Fishing

glennjridge

#68 Post by glennjridge »

Tom Angel wrote:
Wed 22 Apr 2020, 8:13 am
MikeyC wrote:
Tom Angel wrote:

An open mind is an astonishing song and should have been a single, but I understand it's absence for Hotspot as it IS very different. nut how the utter lazy cheesiness of Wedding in Berlin DID make the cut is unfathomable. It's a tragedy really, as Decide would have closed things perfectly.
I think every PSB albums tracks are so varied that I dont think anything sounds like it doesnt fit on any album. had an open mind been on it from the start I dont think anyone would have thought it sounded off in relation to the other songs.

mole973102

#69 Post by mole973102 »

Can anyone make the text better? :) Thanks...
Attachments
Hotspot - Further Listening 2020 (Already Remastered)(700x700).png
Hotspot - Further Listening 2020 (Already Remastered)(700x700).png (98.07 KiB) Viewed 421 times
You gotta have fun!