Annually 2020 + Free CD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
Integralist
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun 14 May 2006, 9:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#286 Post by Integralist »

Ungrateful, moaning nitpickers will always be ungrateful, moaning nitpickers I guess.

BlackPanther
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#287 Post by BlackPanther »

NotInvisible wrote:
Mon 20 Apr 2020, 7:03 pm
They continue to record music to make themselves happy. Anyone who thinks they're raking in dough from a website exclusive needs their head checked. The print run on these things is ridiculously small.
You seriously think so? So if no-one would be buying this stuff at all, they would continue to release it just because it makes themselves happy?

I'm sure that they do like to make music. But releasing stuff in one form or the other is all about a bigger marketing plan. Up until the late 90s, releasing singles was a way to get an album in the picture and sold. Nowadays it's all about concerts, because artists make more money from that than from releasing an album. An album release is a way to get people's attention for a tour and to get concert tickets sold.

Everything that is being released in the end is a way to create or maintain a certain form of hype that results in people wanting to buy concert tickets. And yes, there will be releases that in ITSELF are not profitabele, but if in the end such release increases the amount of tickets sold, it was worth the investment.

Now once more, I stated this before, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I like most of their music, I buy their stuff. But people should stop acting like they're some kind of charity organization with the sole purpose of makeing a few thousand remaining fans happy by releasing "free" CDs. Because they're not. And no artist is.

And there's NOTHING wrong with that, but please stop being naive.

BlackPanther
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#288 Post by BlackPanther »

Greendrake wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:12 pm
Staggering to read that whether or not the CD is free has anything to do with feeling ripped off. The debate (on my side at least) was just for the sake of correct labelling. At the end of the day, nobody is forced to buy the product, be the CD free or not, worthy money or not.
Exactly. It's interesting to see how quite some people tend to read things that were never said.

User avatar
Greendrake
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#289 Post by Greendrake »

Integralist wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:16 pm
Ungrateful, moaning nitpickers will always be ungrateful, moaning nitpickers I guess.
Nitpicking has nothing to do with gratitude (or lack thereof) either.

User avatar
Integralist
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun 14 May 2006, 9:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#290 Post by Integralist »

Greendrake wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:21 pm
Integralist wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:16 pm
Ungrateful, moaning nitpickers will always be ungrateful, moaning nitpickers I guess.
Nitpicking has nothing to do with gratitude (or lack thereof) either.
Fascinating. Go and moan to someone else please. It's extremely dull to read.

BlackPanther
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#291 Post by BlackPanther »

Integralist wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:23 pm
Fascinating. Go and moan to someone else please. It's extremely dull to read.
No it's not. It's good to see that at least some people are able to look objectively to all of this. You for sure can't.

User avatar
Integralist
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun 14 May 2006, 9:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#292 Post by Integralist »

BlackPanther wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:25 pm
Integralist wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:23 pm
Fascinating. Go and moan to someone else please. It's extremely dull to read.
No it's not. It's good to see that at least some people are able to look objectively to all of this. You for sure can't.
Another whinging ingrate.

Pathetic.

BlackPanther
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#293 Post by BlackPanther »

Integralist wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:26 pm
Another whinging ingrate.

Pathetic.
Very mature.

User avatar
Integralist
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun 14 May 2006, 9:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#294 Post by Integralist »

BlackPanther wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:27 pm
Integralist wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:26 pm
Another whinging ingrate.

Pathetic.
Very mature.
Just calling a spade a spade, dear. Suck it up.

BlackPanther
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#295 Post by BlackPanther »

Integralist wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:28 pm
Just calling a spade a spade, dear. Suck it up.
Get your act together man. Becoming offensive to people who don't share your view of the world? Oh boy. What are you? 12?

BlackPanther
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#296 Post by BlackPanther »

ANYWAY.

The title track My Beautiful Laundrette is brilliant. Best track on the CD IMO.

User avatar
leesmapman
Posts: 1789
Joined: Wed 03 May 2006, 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#297 Post by leesmapman »

Most played track on my last.fm playlist at the moment (but I just discovered the 2nd Fuzzbox album, Big Bang, which has some repeated plays now)

User avatar
oakey
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat 27 Apr 2013, 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#298 Post by oakey »

OMG....
Like most here I am very happy with the productivity of the Boys. However, I only buy Annually for the CD. If it does not come with a CD I am not interested in owning a copy (so I did not purchase the 2018 issue). So for me it's €30 for a mini album on CD and a free book. If it was not worth the money I would not have purchased it though.

But there's no such thing as a free lunch :-)

NotInvisible
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 7:58 am
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#299 Post by NotInvisible »

BlackPanther wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:19 pm
NotInvisible wrote:
Mon 20 Apr 2020, 7:03 pm
They continue to record music to make themselves happy. Anyone who thinks they're raking in dough from a website exclusive needs their head checked. The print run on these things is ridiculously small.
You seriously think so? So if no-one would be buying this stuff at all, they would continue to release it just because it makes themselves happy?
Reread what I wrote. Your entire post is a straw man argument.

BlackPanther
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue 15 Sep 2009, 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#300 Post by BlackPanther »

NotInvisible wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 8:59 pm
Reread what I wrote.
I don't wanna.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 16 guests