Tom Watkins dead

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author

User avatar
stussyboy
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 11:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#2 Post by stussyboy » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 6:33 pm

🥺 they had their differences, but he certainly played a role in their early success. RIP Tom
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

User avatar
Gabby
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#3 Post by Gabby » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 6:35 pm

Wow that was kept quiet for quite a while.

User avatar
Luke Colorado
Posts: 1891
Joined: Thu 29 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#4 Post by Luke Colorado » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 7:49 pm

I hope they acted like grownups and went to the funeral (if invited).
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

TallThinMan
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#5 Post by TallThinMan » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:23 pm

No Pet Text? Seems a bit mean-spirited unless they genuinely didn’t know. I wonder if any of his former acts were invited to his funeral.

I’d love to know more about why exactly their relationship with Tom soured. It seems like it was about control. Tom wasn’t used to managing a group that answered back. I think as they wanted more and more control over their career direction, they outgrew him, until in their eyes at least they didn’t need him any more. Then the pop world moved on and suddenly Tom was no longer relevant anyway. Their succession of managers since seems to indicate that in some sense they’ve struggled to replace him.

I’m sure his continual undermining and questioning of Chris played a big part in their decision to leave Massive Management. It’s interesting to speculate what might have been different had they stayed with him. For example, it’s easy to imagine that he wouldn’t have “got” Behaviour. Also worth noting that the end of the imperial phase happened on his watch.

I don’t think they would have been as successful early on (and therefore today) without Tom. I’m sad that he’s dead; if nothing else he was a larger than life character in every sense.

TallThinMan
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#6 Post by TallThinMan » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:26 pm


TallThinMan
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#7 Post by TallThinMan » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:27 pm

"After Tom ceased to be our manager, I remained his friend for several years but for various reasons long-term friendship with Tom wasn’t possible”

Ouch!

User avatar
telys
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue 23 Jun 2015, 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#8 Post by telys » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:44 pm

TallThinMan wrote:
Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:23 pm
No Pet Text? Seems a bit mean-spirited unless they genuinely didn’t know. I wonder if any of his former acts were invited to his funeral.

I’d love to know more about why exactly their relationship with Tom soured. It seems like it was about control. Tom wasn’t used to managing a group that answered back. I think as they wanted more and more control over their career direction, they outgrew him, until in their eyes at least they didn’t need him any more. Then the pop world moved on and suddenly Tom was no longer relevant anyway. Their succession of managers since seems to indicate that in some sense they’ve struggled to replace him.

I’m sure his continual undermining and questioning of Chris played a big part in their decision to leave Massive Management. It’s interesting to speculate what might have been different had they stayed with him. For example, it’s easy to imagine that he wouldn’t have “got” Behaviour. Also worth noting that the end of the imperial phase happened on his watch.

I don’t think they would have been as successful early on (and therefore today) without Tom. I’m sad that he’s dead; if nothing else he was a larger than life character in every sense.
Well put. I think the analysis that he was instrumental to their initial success is correct. I think it's been stated several times that he connected them with producers/collaborators etc in the early days, f i Allee Willis.
----
You've got me all wrong

Panbaams
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed 07 Jun 2006, 4:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#9 Post by Panbaams » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:56 pm

So why did they split from Massive? Reading between the lines I get the impression that Chris fell out with Tom.
TallThinMan wrote:
Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:27 pm
"After Tom ceased to be our manager, I remained his friend for several years but for various reasons long-term friendship with Tom wasn’t possible”
And what’s the story here?

User avatar
telys
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue 23 Jun 2015, 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#10 Post by telys » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 9:21 pm

Panbaams wrote:
Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:56 pm
So why did they split from Massive? Reading between the lines I get the impression that Chris fell out with Tom.
TallThinMan wrote:
Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:27 pm
"After Tom ceased to be our manager, I remained his friend for several years but for various reasons long-term friendship with Tom wasn’t possible”
And what’s the story here?
Well, the split wasn't as harsh as we thought. Neil remained his friend but Chris didn't. Maybe the friendship ended when East17 covered West End girls.
----
You've got me all wrong

User avatar
Native
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 9:51 am
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#11 Post by Native » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 9:26 pm

His unfortunate passing is strangely timely for those who will read the new edition of the ‘Literally’ book. If I remember correctly, the breakdown of their relationship is subtly covered in that book. Tom’s own book actually revealed very little too on the ending of their association – no hatchet job.
Surely he just wasn’t required anymore? His job was to get them a deal, which he did. His creative aspirations clearly weren’t required - three’s a crowd - so he flexed them with Bros and East 17.
Once they reached the peak of success, I would imagine their requirements for a manager changed – and at much less of an economic percentage.


User avatar
telys
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue 23 Jun 2015, 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#13 Post by telys » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 10:31 pm

Well as far as I understand Watkins had Farrow working for him and that's how he became associated with PSB. I wish they would've stuck to S Hague/J Mendelsohn the way they stuck to Farrow.
----
You've got me all wrong

User avatar
Dipso
Posts: 3536
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 12:39 am
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#14 Post by Dipso » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 2:56 am

The rumour I heard back in the day was that Tom was the source of the stories about Chris's health in the Sunday tabloids in the early 90s. So yeah.
Prick up your ears.

User avatar
Luke Colorado
Posts: 1891
Joined: Thu 29 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#15 Post by Luke Colorado » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 3:56 am

What was wrong with his health?
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 27 guests