Tom Watkins dead

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

stussyboy

Re: Tom Watkins dead

#2 Post by stussyboy »

🥺 they had their differences, but he certainly played a role in their early success. RIP Tom
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Gabby

#3 Post by Gabby »

Wow that was kept quiet for quite a while.

ChoonHound

#4 Post by ChoonHound »

I hope they acted like grownups and went to the funeral (if invited).
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

TallThinMan

#5 Post by TallThinMan »

No Pet Text? Seems a bit mean-spirited unless they genuinely didn’t know. I wonder if any of his former acts were invited to his funeral.

I’d love to know more about why exactly their relationship with Tom soured. It seems like it was about control. Tom wasn’t used to managing a group that answered back. I think as they wanted more and more control over their career direction, they outgrew him, until in their eyes at least they didn’t need him any more. Then the pop world moved on and suddenly Tom was no longer relevant anyway. Their succession of managers since seems to indicate that in some sense they’ve struggled to replace him.

I’m sure his continual undermining and questioning of Chris played a big part in their decision to leave Massive Management. It’s interesting to speculate what might have been different had they stayed with him. For example, it’s easy to imagine that he wouldn’t have “got” Behaviour. Also worth noting that the end of the imperial phase happened on his watch.

I don’t think they would have been as successful early on (and therefore today) without Tom. I’m sad that he’s dead; if nothing else he was a larger than life character in every sense.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

TallThinMan

#6 Post by TallThinMan »

TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

TallThinMan

#7 Post by TallThinMan »

"After Tom ceased to be our manager, I remained his friend for several years but for various reasons long-term friendship with Tom wasn’t possible”

Ouch!

telys

#8 Post by telys »

TallThinMan wrote: Tue 10 Mar 2020, 7:23 pm No Pet Text? Seems a bit mean-spirited unless they genuinely didn’t know. I wonder if any of his former acts were invited to his funeral.

I’d love to know more about why exactly their relationship with Tom soured. It seems like it was about control. Tom wasn’t used to managing a group that answered back. I think as they wanted more and more control over their career direction, they outgrew him, until in their eyes at least they didn’t need him any more. Then the pop world moved on and suddenly Tom was no longer relevant anyway. Their succession of managers since seems to indicate that in some sense they’ve struggled to replace him.

I’m sure his continual undermining and questioning of Chris played a big part in their decision to leave Massive Management. It’s interesting to speculate what might have been different had they stayed with him. For example, it’s easy to imagine that he wouldn’t have “got” Behaviour. Also worth noting that the end of the imperial phase happened on his watch.

I don’t think they would have been as successful early on (and therefore today) without Tom. I’m sad that he’s dead; if nothing else he was a larger than life character in every sense.
Well put. I think the analysis that he was instrumental to their initial success is correct. I think it's been stated several times that he connected them with producers/collaborators etc in the early days, f i Allee Willis.
----
You've got me all wrong

Panbaams

#9 Post by Panbaams »

So why did they split from Massive? Reading between the lines I get the impression that Chris fell out with Tom.
TallThinMan wrote: Tue 10 Mar 2020, 7:27 pm "After Tom ceased to be our manager, I remained his friend for several years but for various reasons long-term friendship with Tom wasn’t possible”
And what’s the story here?

telys

#10 Post by telys »

Panbaams wrote: Tue 10 Mar 2020, 7:56 pm So why did they split from Massive? Reading between the lines I get the impression that Chris fell out with Tom.
TallThinMan wrote: Tue 10 Mar 2020, 7:27 pm "After Tom ceased to be our manager, I remained his friend for several years but for various reasons long-term friendship with Tom wasn’t possible”
And what’s the story here?
Well, the split wasn't as harsh as we thought. Neil remained his friend but Chris didn't. Maybe the friendship ended when East17 covered West End girls.
----
You've got me all wrong

Native

#11 Post by Native »

His unfortunate passing is strangely timely for those who will read the new edition of the ‘Literally’ book. If I remember correctly, the breakdown of their relationship is subtly covered in that book. Tom’s own book actually revealed very little too on the ending of their association – no hatchet job.
Surely he just wasn’t required anymore? His job was to get them a deal, which he did. His creative aspirations clearly weren’t required - three’s a crowd - so he flexed them with Bros and East 17.
Once they reached the peak of success, I would imagine their requirements for a manager changed – and at much less of an economic percentage.

telys

#13 Post by telys »

Well as far as I understand Watkins had Farrow working for him and that's how he became associated with PSB. I wish they would've stuck to S Hague/J Mendelsohn the way they stuck to Farrow.
----
You've got me all wrong

Dipso

#14 Post by Dipso »

The rumour I heard back in the day was that Tom was the source of the stories about Chris's health in the Sunday tabloids in the early 90s. So yeah.
Prick up your ears.

ChoonHound

#15 Post by ChoonHound »

What was wrong with his health?
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.