CD + Graphics

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
the8thark

CD + Graphics

#1 Post by the8thark » Tue 24 Mar 2020, 11:24 am

Did any of the older PSB CD releases have graphics on the CD?
As in were they CD + Graphics compatable?

Players like the CD-i and others could play these embeded low resolution graphics along with the audio as it was playing.
This was a thing in the late 80's and early 90's.

Also before you ask, many releases did say CD + Graphics on the disc. Many did not and almost no one knew these had the graphic data on them.

So was there any PSB CD releases with this kind of graphical data embedded in the audio CD?

Here is a youtube channel with the graphics being played along with the audio for a number of other artists. Just so you all have an example of what I am talking about here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx5TQ1 ... UQqumk5lNw
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

Greendrake

Re: CD + Graphics

#2 Post by Greendrake » Tue 24 Mar 2020, 11:32 am

There were quite a few in the second half of 90s and early 00s. Some CD singles were "enhanced" — they included a data track along with normal audio tracks. These would include promo video, photos, low-bitrate audio files of the audio tracks etc.

Off the top of my head: Before (US CD) and all of the Nightlife singles.

This may be not quite what you are asking about, but I am not aware if any other data embedding tech ever used on PSB CDs.

the8thark

#3 Post by the8thark » Tue 24 Mar 2020, 11:58 am

Greendrake wrote:
Tue 24 Mar 2020, 11:32 am
There were quite a few in the second half of 90s and early 00s. Some CD singles were "enhanced" — they included a data track along with normal audio tracks. These would include promo video, photos, low-bitrate audio files of the audio tracks etc.

Off the top of my head: Before (US CD) and all of the Nightlife singles.

This may be not quite what you are asking about, but I am not aware if any other data embedding tech ever used on PSB CDs.
You are talking about CDs that are partitioned for part audio (the album) and part for data (the promo videos and other stuff).
You are correct in saying lots of music CDs were split this way to use the left over space on the CD.
However this is not what I am talking about at all with my above post. I am asking about something totally different.

I think the wikipedia article on this summarises it quite well.
"CD+G (also known as CD-G, CD+Graphics and TV-Graphics) is an extension of the compact disc standard that can present low-resolution graphics alongside the audio data on the disc when played on a compatible device"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD%2BG

The youtube link I shared above shows lots of examples of this. It's literally just low resolution graphics being played alongside the music which only certain players could access and show.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

Synthrobot

#4 Post by Synthrobot » Tue 24 Mar 2020, 12:51 pm

Nothing like this for Pet Shop Boys. The closest you'd get, as far as I understand it is the CD-G used for karaoke, a number of PSB songs were created in this format, but were all recreations from the karaoke companies with lyrics only, and did not include to sort of creative images in the video you put in the link.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRQe-1DMeT8

jules

#5 Post by jules » Tue 24 Mar 2020, 5:52 pm

I never heard about this. The only thing i know is that if you bought the Etienne Daho's album Eden you could find a video game on it.

themgnt

#6 Post by themgnt » Tue 24 Mar 2020, 7:59 pm

Information Society's first album was CD+G. Yeah, it was very low quality graphics, like a slide show, that played still graphics while you were listening to the CD. I remember I had to use a Sega Genesis with Mega CD(?) to view these.

No PSB discs were released using this format.

Old Soak

#7 Post by Old Soak » Tue 24 Mar 2020, 11:07 pm

http://www.cdplusg.com/cdplusg/Discogra ... raphy.html

this is apparently the definitive list of CD+G, all Warner Bros and subsidiary labels.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing