Poll begins on ranking the "Price trilogy" of albums

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
negative_0ne

Re: Poll begins on ranking the "Price trilogy" of albums

#16 Post by negative_0ne »

exactly,

electric first
hotspot second
super third

although in the overall scheme of things, they're all very
low compared to other albums.

didn't like electric, but it looks like a masterpiece compared to the other 2 albums afterwards.

later

Future Lover

#18 Post by Future Lover »

I'd say it's underrated. Especially outside the fanbase. It was truly the album that made them relevant for another decade, and positioned them at their current high plateau of a successful touring attraction and critical acclaim.

Disco.

#19 Post by Disco. »

Exactly !

Sage

#20 Post by Sage »

Super at the bottom for me.
Track by track it's not a bad album. For whatever reason it didn't and doesn't resonate with me as much.

I'm sort of surprised people here are saying they prefer Electric the most.
Though Electric is great, to me Hotspot is a greater level of perfection.
I don't like Bolshy or Shouting In The Evening. Axis I'm not really into.
Bourgeois is a favourite, but it's a bit noisy. Inside a Dream, not bad but the vocals are too high for my taste.
Thursday is a nice throwback, but Example's part grates after a few listens, and a song about days of the week is a bit tacky in my opinion.
Overall I think Stuart Price went too far with putting effects on Neil's voice. (for every song!)

Hotspot is as Neil said in an interview, "really good".
I really like each and every song. (Except maybe Dreamland!)
From the opening line of You Are The One "driving down to Zehlendorf", to the kitschy vibe of Wedding In Berlin, to the anthemic chorus of Burning The Heather, to the Very-era sound of Happy People with bonus Neil rapping (neither of the other albums have Neil rapping! Come on it's a trademark).
The overall vibe for the album is they've clearly picked songs that reference Berlin but also intentionally went for an analogue synth theme. With this there's still a lot of variety which makes it feel fresh from track to track.
Hotspot features a lot of tracks that aren't comparable to songs PSB have done before. It's really a nice addition to the catalogue of albums. (I suppose Electric sounds fairly unique in the same regard, though there have been comparisons to Relentless)

I think this community will like Hotspot more after time has passed.

jasonjohn

#21 Post by jasonjohn »

Electric for me is the most concise product. It has purpose. A rapid fire of BPM. 7.5/10

Super is the "album of b-sides" I always thought they should do. And it's in no way a criticism to say that. And to immediately contradict myself - The Pop Kids was a lovely single. Whole album is a burst of pop colour. 6/10.

Hotspot is a cursed album that conjured the Novel coronavirus into existence. It's pure witchcraft and everybody should burn their copies at the stroke of midnight, naked, reciting the lyrics to Wedding in Berlin backwards. We are in this together. 7/10.

Gabby

#22 Post by Gabby »

jules wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020, 9:50 am Electric is overrated.
I tend to agree, but it's still a fine album. I think it had some really instant appeal coming out of the gates so quickly after the sombre "Elysium" (which I actually think is a very fine album - but lets not start a thread about Winner for the billionth time)

For my money Hotspot takes the top spot of the three. I've not felt this way about PSB since "Behaviour" came out - the mix of sounds and styles just blows me away, and the slower numbers, which usually aren't my cup of tea, are superb here. It's a really moody album with many layers.

Super got my #2 vote - I think it's pop-tastic. It just sounds like something everyone had a lot of fun creating, and I have a lot of fun listening to it. Depth isn't everything I guess, despite what I said about Hotspot!

Electric falls to #3 - as I said, it was a hot release on the heels of "Elysium" and that worked in its favour, and it does have some stunningly great tracks on it, but longevity was lacking - I don't get back to it much, and I find some of the songs ("Construct"and "Last to Die") a little bit depressing if I'm being honest. They're pretty much typical PSB (I realise one is a cover) but this album for all it's "banging and lasers" leaves this listener feeling like the person who went to the club, got dumped and came home alone, rather than the having had a marvellous night out.

Synthrobot

#23 Post by Synthrobot »

I found this very hard to decide as I absolutely love all of them. In the end I went for

1) Super
2) Electric
3) Hotspot

And I'm still totally in love with Hotspot, so I'm very pleased to have this dilemma. It must mean the last three albums have been outstanding. Elysium I virtually never listen to, and I don't think it's down to the passing of time.

gehegu

#24 Post by gehegu »

I think this community will like Hotspot more after ti
me has passed.
[/quote]

I absolutely agree. Hotspot is a great album, the problem is that it’s not a high energy record. Electric is also very good but it’s in another league, they’re not comparable it’s like doing so with release and introspective.

Hotspot has lots of melodic songs. Songs are short though and very little real instruments have been used, this would have give it more warmth... maybe I’m thinking of behavior...

gehegu

#25 Post by gehegu »

All in all for me is Hotspot #1, electric #2 and super #3.

Pod

#26 Post by Pod »

Sage wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020, 11:42 am Though Electric is great, to me Hotspot is a greater level of perfection.
Nope-
Three words - Wedding....In.....Berlin
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Gabby

#27 Post by Gabby »

Pod wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020, 6:17 pm
Sage wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020, 11:42 am Though Electric is great, to me Hotspot is a greater level of perfection.
Nope-
Shouting in the evening and Happiness would make a counter argument to the Wedding in berlin analogy.

Unfortunately for me though I love all three tracks!

West End Boy

#28 Post by West End Boy »

My ranking:

1. Hotspot

(nothing in between, for a very long time :) )

2. Electric
3. Super
From summer warmth to sudden cold

Pod

#29 Post by Pod »

Gabby wrote: Tue 31 Mar 2020, 3:07 am
Pod wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020, 6:17 pm
Nope-
Shouting in the evening and Happiness would make a counter argument to the Wedding in berlin analogy.

Unfortunately for me though I love all three tracks!
Hmm - not so sure, shouting in the evening and happiness are at least listenable (to me anyway). Whereas wedding....
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

glennjridge

#30 Post by glennjridge »

I was disappointed by Hotspot when I first heard it. its settling in now a bit more. I think its because the few good songs, are GREAT and its making me forget the relatively nice amount of songs that I think are subpar. Wilo the wisp still blows me away. its sooo epic.