Just listened to Relentless - it's not very good

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

Just listened to Relentless - it's not very good

#1 Post by telys »

I just listened all through Relentless, for the first time in a very long time. I remebered it as a cool sounding elecronic album, sort of a follow up to Introspective or a forerunner to Yes etc or Electric.
Boy, I was wrong. It's quite bleak, feels dated, the few lyrics are of low quality. Had Euroboy or Some Spec been on there it would've been better.
Still, it's better than Disco 2 or wait... maybe not...
----
You've got me all wrong

NotInvisible

Re: Just listened to Relentless - it's not very good

#2 Post by NotInvisible »

I think Relentless holds up brilliantly as a time capsule. It's always been a bleak and atmospheric slice of early '90s electronic music. I think you might be missing the point of the album somewhat - it was never intended as a pop album. One of their best records, and it's a shame it's not considered a proper studio album (because it absolutely is).

Never understood the fan desire to add Euroboy and Some Speculation to the album, neither of them fit on the album sonically.

jollysight

#3 Post by jollysight »

Sort of a follow up to Introspective? What a bizarre thing to say. Introspective was a studio album with singles. Relentless was a limited edition release with Very. That should tell you quite clearly what kind of album it is - experimental, playful, eclectic.

Next you will be saying where are the singles on relentless...

y3potential

#4 Post by y3potential »

I adore Relentless. It should have been remastered and included on the Very Further Listening package.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

daveid

#5 Post by daveid »

They really should have put this on the new Very FL as the third disc. We want a remastered version of it. Forget the mystique of a rare album - it can be heard by all and sundry on youtube anyway. Maybe re-release it remastered and bung a few of the other unheard noodlings by Chris from that time.

psbfannyc

#6 Post by psbfannyc »

Since all gyms are closed here in Berlin due to this Coronavirus disaster, I have been forced to taking up "jogging" to keep fit. Ugh! Anyway, I actually "jogged" 10 km to "Relentless" yesterday through Berlin's Tiergarten and had a great time! Excellent production by Chris.

Flaffer

#7 Post by Flaffer »

NotInvisible wrote: Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:02 pm I think Relentless holds up brilliantly as a time capsule. It's always been a bleak and atmospheric slice of early '90s electronic music. I think you might be missing the point of the album somewhat - it was never intended as a pop album. One of their best records, and it's a shame it's not considered a proper studio album (because it absolutely is).

Never understood the fan desire to add Euroboy and Some Speculation to the album, neither of them fit on the album sonically.
Not fan desire as such, Neil said years ago Disco 2 was a mistake, or words to that effect, and what they should have done was reissue Relentless with those two tracks added to the album
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Greendrake

#8 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bongsteve

#9 Post by bongsteve »

Still enjoy it. As someone else said above, would like a remastered version at some point.

stussyboy

#10 Post by stussyboy »

telys wrote: Tue 28 Apr 2020, 9:57 pm I just listened all through Relentless, for the first time in a very long time. I remebered it as a cool sounding elecronic album, sort of a follow up to Introspective or a forerunner to Yes etc or Electric.
Boy, I was wrong. It's quite bleak, feels dated, the few lyrics are of low quality. Had Euroboy or Some Spec been on there it would've been better.
Still, it's better than Disco 2 or wait... maybe not...
There’s a reason it “feels dated” - it’s 27(!) years old

I think it’s perfect as it is, for what it is
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

negative_0ne

#12 Post by negative_0ne »

I loved it back then and still do now.

It's better than the last several complete albums,
would pick that anyday over anything recent.

later

Scottydog

#13 Post by Scottydog »

Yes it is bleak and I love it for that. It also doesn’t need lyrics other than those few that are there. Much as I love Euroboy and Speculation they would ruin the unique quality of Relentless. I was totally in awe of Relentless when it came out because it was so different to anything I had or that PSB had done. It’s not for everyone but it’s still a masterpiece in its own right.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

leesmapman

#14 Post by leesmapman »

I prefer Relentless over Very...
Last edited by leesmapman on Wed 29 Apr 2020, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dog

#15 Post by Dog »

I think they should have remastered it and issued it as a standalone 12th Parlophone album as a part of the Catalogue series. Should they ever do a boxset it may well be part of that.
Woof.