That Crossover Moment.....

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tottenhammattspurs

Re: That Crossover Moment.....

#16 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

West End girls and Love comes quickly somehow passed 15 year old me by. Then I heard Opportunities, with that same “flick” sound that was all over the latest Kraftwerk LP (Electric Cafe). Straight down to Martin the Newsagent with £2.99 for the 12” that had a gold sticker promising “over 23 minutes of music”. That was it. I was in.
is is and isnt isnt

D.J.

#17 Post by D.J. »

From the first time I've heard It's a Sin on the radio in 1987, as an 11 year old, I've become a hardcore fan. I've never heard anything that is at the same time so melodic, sophisticated and powerful. Little did I know that 33 years later they would still be releasing incredible music. :clap:

G_Goalden

#18 Post by G_Goalden »

D.J. wrote: Sun 05 Jul 2020, 7:36 am From the first time I've heard It's a Sin on the radio in 1987, as an 11 year old, I've become a hardcore fan. I've never heard anything that is at the same time so melodic, sophisticated and powerful. Little did I know that 33 years later they would still be releasing incredible music. :clap:
I remember this moment too. By summer 87 I’d worn ‘Please’, Disco’ and ‘Television’ out, but hearing ‘Its a sin’ - and knowing it was by the band I was championing - was a great feeling. The 12” remix upped the game too.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough & Sheffield 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022 | Leeds 2023

Oznerol

#19 Post by Oznerol »

I was an avid consumer of the American Top 40 and Europe charts since short before PSB appeared. Loved listening to new tunes every week...and when West End girls came out I was very surprised on how different that record was to EVERYTHING I heard around. A friend of mine still rememeber the day when I mentioned how I was impressed by that "new song by an unknown group called Pet Shop Boys". So they got my attention since the first minute. Then, hearing the West End girls extended and the Pettibone Mix/Dub on the radio were also impressive moments, related with beloved personal experiences. "Love comes quickly" appeared on the charts..and liked it..."Opportunities" also with good moments..but I completely LOVED "Suburbia"!.... and then "The FUll Horror" version... So I bought DISCO on cassette and it was the best thing I heard in my lfe at that moment...and then "It´s a sin" came out and I knew I would be a fan of this band and would be buying everything they want to release...until they split, or lose the magic... I never thought I will be still doing the same 35 years later!!
Last edited by Oznerol on Tue 07 Jul 2020, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is not my signature.

themgnt

#20 Post by themgnt »

Loved 'It's a Sin' and bought Actually when I saw it had a free CD single of Always On my Mind. Though I hadn't heard their version yet, I always liked that song and was willing to give it a shot. Loved those two songs but the rest of the album was 'meh.' I bought Discography for some reason but I just couldn't get into them. Also, and I know I'm in the minority here, I've always hated West End Girls.

Several years later I was broke, bored, and hungry fro some new electronic music. I decided to see what I already had that I previously dismissed. Pulled out Discography and hit random play to avoid the early stuff right away. DJ Culture was the first song and it hit me exactly right. This was very shortly before Very came out. I was hooked. They also rereleased all their old CD singles so I grabbed all of those in addition to their older albums.

Some groups I get tired of and take a break from, but that's never happened with PSB. They have been a constant for nearly 30 years.

Devices

#21 Post by Devices »

Never had the crossover moment. I was hooked from the first time I heard Always on my mind. From then on they were my favorite band.

CroMagnon

#22 Post by CroMagnon »

I had a school friend who was a massive fan. He made me a mix tape of PSB, some time in 1989. Looking back, it was a slightly weird mix of songs; I remember that it had The Sound of the Atom Splitting on it, Don Juan, and Shopping, but not Rent, Suburbia, What have I done to deserve this? or Domino Dancing. I played that cassette to death. King’s Cross and Left to My Own Devices were my favourite tracks, and are still in my top 5 today.

The following year I bought Behaviour on release day, and I’ve been a huge fan ever since.
Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

Future Lover

#23 Post by Future Lover »

Electric, that's all. And I won't be judged, since I wasn't even alive in their Imperial era.

rashomon

#24 Post by rashomon »

CroMagnon wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 8:16 am I had a school friend who was a massive fan. He made me a mix tape of PSB, some time in 1989. Looking back, it was a slightly weird mix of songs; I remember that it had The Sound of the Atom Splitting on it, Don Juan, and Shopping, but not Rent, Suburbia, What have I done to deserve this? or Domino Dancing. I played that cassette to death. King’s Cross and Left to My Own Devices were my favourite tracks, and are still in my top 5 today.

The following year I bought Behaviour on release day, and I’ve been a huge fan ever since.
Well to be exposed to Atom as one of your first ever tracks is some test ... after that it's all easy!

Well done CroMagnon :clap:
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Disco.

#25 Post by Disco. »

Future Lover wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 8:44 am Electric, that's all. And I won't be judged, since I wasn't even alive in their Imperial era.
A very good album, one of their best.

Gabby

#26 Post by Gabby »

rashomon wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 9:36 am
CroMagnon wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 8:16 am I had a school friend who was a massive fan. He made me a mix tape of PSB, some time in 1989. Looking back, it was a slightly weird mix of songs; I remember that it had The Sound of the Atom Splitting on it, Don Juan, and Shopping, but not Rent, Suburbia, What have I done to deserve this? or Domino Dancing. I played that cassette to death. King’s Cross and Left to My Own Devices were my favourite tracks, and are still in my top 5 today.

Well to be exposed to Atom as one of your first ever tracks is some test ... after that it's all easy!

I sometimes feel a bit lonely in the "I actually like TSOTAS" club.

leesmapman

#27 Post by leesmapman »

TSOTAS worked perfectly well as the opening of the Highlights video.

It can be two things

#28 Post by It can be two things »

Gabby wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 1:29 pm

I would rather listen to TSOTAS 100 times a row than listen to Release all the way through just once.

MikeyC

#29 Post by MikeyC »

I’m in that club with “Saturday Night Forever”! :)

TallThinMan

#30 Post by TallThinMan »

MikeyC wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020, 6:45 pm

I’m in that club with “Saturday Night Forever”! :)
Me too!
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic