PSB DJ Culture Radio 1 - August 92

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
G_Goalden

Re: PSB DJ Culture Radio 1 - August 92

#31 Post by G_Goalden »

Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

G_Goalden

#32 Post by G_Goalden »

leesmapman wrote:
Thu 06 Aug 2020, 9:14 am
Those "Pet Shop Boys on the radio" jingles, are they made by PSB for this show? They are hilarious.
...Fresh to you each morning!
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

leesmapman

#33 Post by leesmapman »

G_Goalden wrote:
Thu 06 Aug 2020, 9:17 am
the way Chris brings it, always makes me laugh out loud.

y3potential

#34 Post by y3potential »

The only way these shows could have been improved is if Neil and Chris had Smashie and Nicey in alongside them as joint presenters..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

JSDOUVRES

#35 Post by JSDOUVRES »

Thanks so much for these, Some great tunes on these shows!

tottenhammattspurs

#36 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

IIRC The other celebrity DJs covering Simon Bates' slot were Mick Hucknall and Phil Collins. Both were pre-recorded and very very "sterile". You have top remember the songs that PSB chose to play simply didn't get heard on Radio 1, especially at 9.30 in the morning! It was revolutionary! And to have a 15min DJ mix uninterrupted was just unheard of. So many songs were heard for the first time on these shows including Felix's Don't You Want Me? which, the first time you hear it, gave you goosebumps!
is is and isnt isnt

Dog

#37 Post by Dog »

Does anyone have track listings for Absolutely Pet Shop Boys, their one-off Radio 1 show in May 1994, or for when Chris sat in at short notice for Pete Tong? I’d love to hear a recording of the latter.
Woof.

Marie loves PSB

#38 Post by Marie loves PSB »

G_Goalden wrote:
Thu 06 Aug 2020, 9:17 am
leesmapman wrote:
Thu 06 Aug 2020, 9:14 am
Those "Pet Shop Boys on the radio" jingles, are they made by PSB for this show? They are hilarious.
Those were the days - "Pet Shop Boys in the morning" :mrgreen: (That was supposed to have been my original username but, I messed it up when I registered). I enjoyed their Radio 1 weeks they had. I went to Radio 1's studio one day when this was all happening with a friend from College. We saw Neil and Chris outside and managed to get Chris to sign a couple of my album covers. And of course met Dainton too.

One of the crowd

#39 Post by One of the crowd »

Dog wrote:
Thu 06 Aug 2020, 5:43 pm
Does anyone have track listings for Absolutely Pet Shop Boys, their one-off Radio 1 show in May 1994, or for when Chris sat in at short notice for Pete Tong? I’d love to hear a recording of the latter.
I may have the former on a C90 somewhere.

I know they played Underworld's Dark and Long
Fishing

G_Goalden

#40 Post by G_Goalden »

Hi everyone,

The final show (Friday) is now uploaded:

https://www.mixcloud.com/graham-sykes/p ... -900-1000/
https://www.mixcloud.com/graham-sykes/p ... 1000-1100/

Thanks to @leesmapman I've changed the dates to reflect that somewhere in the midst of time I thought it was August and not July and even managed to photoshop the image to say 'July' and 'August'. Thanks also to @FutureLover for recommending Mixcloud (it was really easy to upload them!)

Thanks for all the kind messages and hopefully it will inspire a few others to dig out their old D-90s (or D-120's in this case), buy a £20/£30 cassette to MP3 and upload some previously lost gems.

Cheers G.

fluffmoln

#41 Post by fluffmoln »

Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Monday 27 July 1992, 9:00-10:00

I figured I'd have some fun getting the tracklists down, and started with the first link provided. News snippets help pin down the date to Monday 27th 1992 (Mary Wells died the night before). There was never a Monday 24th 1992 (unless in a different dimension). For context, The Golden Hour was a Simon Bates show where during the first hour he played records tied to a specific year for the listeners to "play along at home", two years per hour.

Timestamps with song titles and descriptive comments for you all to enjoy:

Code: Select all

(00:00) Pet Shop Boys jingle (Music For Boys) Neil and Chris introduce themselves and The Golden Hour
(00:20) One-Two-Three ‎– Runaway (Bobby O production, of course)
(04:51) Neil gives a clue to the year mentioning the Cecil Parkinson/Sara Keays affair. Chris cheekily puts on Flashdance.
(05:03) Irene Cara - Flashdance... What a Feeling
(08:12) Chris reads out phone and fax numbers "if you know what the year was". Neil gives a clue saying Boy George was the biggest pop star in the world.
(08:29) Culture Club - Victims
(13:16) Tina Turner - Let's Stay Together (Al Stewart cover)
(16:35) Neil gives another clue about the year being Mrs. Thatcher's reelection year and the year police shot innocent man Stephen Waldorf at Earl's Court (having mistaken him for an escaped prisoner). Chris butts in that The Style Council had a hit as well.
(16:51) The Style Council - Long Hot Summer
(19:55) First faxes streaming in, with super fan Diane from Chelmsford commenting "Chris, I love the Cicero video". Chris: "Wow."
(20:08) Forrest - Rock The Boat (The Hues Corporation cover, actually released in 1982)
(23:00) Malcolm McLaren - D'ya Like Scratchin'
(23:25) Chris announces that the year was of course 1983, reads out listeners that got it right, stumbles on a last name. Neil points out that listener Beverly thought it was 1984, then marvels at the fact that this was a year where Malcolm McLaren was a pop star.
(23:55) Malcolm McLaren - D'ya Like Scratchin'
(26:35) Laura Branigan - Gloria (Umberto Tozzi cover, actually released in 1982)
(29:15) Chris announces it's 9:30 and time for news. Stories about the Gulf War, war-torn Sarajevo, racism in UK prisons, "the Queen of Motown" Mary Wells dying, police ready to evict "hippies, travellers, and ravers" from an illegal music festival on farmland in Wales, and finally cheaper New Zealand funerals "if relatives of the deceased loved one dig [the grave] themselves".
(31:44) Pet Shop Boys jingle ("what was the yeeear?")
(32:07) Tina Charles - I Love To Love (But My Baby Loves To Dance)
(34:39) Neil moves on to a new year, during which Harold Wilson mysteriously resigned to be replaced by Jim Callaghan. "It was also the year of Donna Summer."
(34:51) Donna Summer - Could It Be Magic
(37:53) Neil introduces Bryan Ferry, gives clues about reclusive billionaire Howard Hughes dying and the hard-to-pronounce Viscount Montgomery - Monty - kicking the bucket.
(38:05) Bryan Ferry - The Price of Love
(41:02) Pet Shop Boys on Radio 1 jingle (It's A Sin)
(41:12) The Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World (Prelude)
(44:15) Chris clues us in that this is the year that "Marc Bolan had his last really big hit".
(44:20) T. Rex - I Love To Boogie
(46:16) Neil says one of the big films of the year was David Bowie's The Man Who Fell To Earth. Surprisingly as well, Yesterday was a big hit!
(46:22) The Beatles - Yesterday (re-released this year "due to the expiration of the Beatles' contract with EMI, which allowed the company to repackage the Beatles' recordings as they wished". Hence they released the lot, causing six of the singles to hit the charts, with Yesterday peaking at no. 8.)
(48:16) Diana Ross - Love Hangover
(51:32) Chris announces the listeners that got the year right, but teases the answer until after the next record.
(51:47) Andrea True Connection - More, More, More (famously sampled by Len for "Steal My Sunshine")
(54:43) Chris: "The year of course was 1976." Neil shows off his chart history knowledge, then introduces the next record.
(54:53) The Isaac Hayes Movement - Disco Connection (actually released in 1975)
(59:23) Neil announces it's 10 o'clock and says they'll be back in a few seconds. Then another newscast where the announcer says that the deadline has passed for the revellers on that farmland in Wales to bugger off, some story of a York murder, and again announcing tributes following the death of Mary Wells. Then a 1 FM jingle and on to the next hour.
Highlights include the newscast comments on the "hippies, travellers, and ravers" on a farmland in Wales where an "illegal music festival" was held being evicted by police. I bet Chris was thrilled to hear about that one.

Many thanks for these, G_Goalden. I'll see if I can do the above for all of the hours. No promises.
Last edited by fluffmoln on Sun 09 Aug 2020, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffmoln

#42 Post by fluffmoln »

Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Monday 27 July 1992, 10:00-11:00

Absolutely smashing show (again, the correct date actually is Monday July 27th 1992). Chris just being all in on new music he loves, of which I know some but not all. Please help filling in the blanks. The Colin Faver megamix block is really good. I need help with song titles there.

(00:00) Pet Shop Boys jingle "Pet Shop Boys On Your Radio". Chris gives a big hello to all the "travellers" out there, clearly thrilled by hearing the news about the "illegal music festival" on that farmland in Wales.
(00:05) Felix - Don't You Want Me (actual release date is the same date as this broadcast, so Chris must have excitedly picked up a promo, wanting to play it on the show immediately. Might be the first time the song was played on British radio.)
(05:38) Neil says he had to get up at the crack of dawn in order to make it to the studio by 8, "it's a bit early for me". He then announces they're playing the best of the new records "we like", including the next one.
(05:51) Fierce Ruling Diva - You Gotta Believe (Hard To Believe Mix) (probably another first play as the record was released in July 1992, and most likely the only time it was being played on prime radio)
(10:40) Pet Shop Boys jingle "Pet Shop Boys in the morning... Radio 1". Chris highlights an upcoming non-stop dance mix at 10:30, courtesy of Colin Faver, then gives the deets on the upcoming track.
(11:04) The Good 2 Bad And Hugly - Espania (Chris replaying it on the Tuesday show due to listener demand made the coin drop for me what the track is.)
(14:25) Neil relays an article in Music Week of how Top of the Pops is in a state of crisis because of "rave records", and asks listenerns to phone or fax their views. Meanwhile, a "rave record" is playing.
(15:12) The Age Of Love - The Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Watch Out For Stella Mix) (hence Neil and Chris wanting them to later remix Young Offender and Yesterday When I Was Mad)
(18:11) Chris reads out some faxes, Neil laughs at the Haçienda posse "nice one, top one" one. Chris then announces that of course the track playing is the absolute choon that it is.
(18:51) Baby June - Hey! Whats Your Name
(23:43) Pet Shop Boys jingle (DJ Culture) and Neil announces upcoming news, DJ mix and a promise to play Rhythm Is A Dancer. 
(24:07) Snap! - Rhythm Is A Dancer
(27:43) BBC Proms promo, where an answer to a question about its history is to be written on a postcard or within a sealed envelope and sent in to the BBC. How communication has changed...
(28:44) Neil butts in to say the DJ mix is coming up, but first, Rod McKenzie will read us the news. He is still flabbergasted by the "thousands" of travellers on that farmland in Wales "showing no signs of leaving" despite there being hundreds of police wanting to evict them from the area. A local MP calls in, citing a local farmer. Then more Iraqi news with soundbytes, and something about UK "hooligan school children", and Mary Wells has still died (now with an interview with Smokey Robinson, talking about the "quite a few" hit records they had together). Finally, the space shuttle Atlantis has an amazingly haute cuisine food menu, Swiss cheese, "Swiss choccies", and truffles. The Swiss austronaut will feel at home, but the American crew will pig out as usual. Great British news broadcasting right there. Then a jingle isn't played and he has to improvise and does it poorly.
(31:34) Pet Shop Boys jingle (Music For Boys)
(31:50) V.N.E. - Force Mass Motion (I guess this is the start of the fantastic Colin Faver mix. A song like this at 10:30 in the morning, absolutely brilliant)
(34:30) No idea. Classic early 90s raver sound. Absolute tune.
(38:38) No idea. Classic early 90s piano raver sound. Absolute tune.
(41:06) Wax Doctor - A New Direction
(44:06) No idea. Absolute fookin belter mixed in with the Wax Doctor track.
(44:58) Chris rudely interrupts the groove by having to announce Colin's next gigs.
(45:03) Rachel Wallace - Tell Me Why
(48:38) Pet Shop Boys jingle (yet another juicy "Pet Shop Boys live on your Radio 1"), then Neil reads out listeners faxes about how TOTP is naff, most of them essentially saying "let's keep the status quo and let's rock!". Then Chris goes "that's enough from you" and puts the next record on.
(50:08) Urban Shakedown - Some Justice
(53:53) Neil keeps on ranting about Top of the Pops, the people have spoken, they want it "JUST THE SAME". Neil deflects the comment to the BBC guy in charge, "I hope you're taking notes". 
(54:20) Love & Sas - Don't Stop Now (Mickey Finn Remix)
(57:44) Yet another Pet Shop Boys jingle "Pet Shop Boys in the morning... Radio 1". Neil reads out some dedications, including a birthday wish. Chris promises some more cracking tunes "tomorrow", while Jealousy is played.
(58:50) The BBC "we're going into the next segments" beeps are playing. THE RADIO ONE ROAD SHOW is playing and Steve Wright immediately brings the mood down.
Last edited by fluffmoln on Sun 09 Aug 2020, 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Patrick Bateman

#43 Post by Patrick Bateman »

fluffmoln wrote:
Sat 08 Aug 2020, 2:53 am

Absolutely smashing show (again, the correct date actually is Monday July 27th 1992). Chris just being all in on new music he loves, of which I know some but not all. Please help filling in the blanks. The Colin Faver megamix block is really good. I need help with song titles there.

(00:00) Pet Shop Boys jingle "Pet Shop Boys On Your Radio". Chris gives a big hello to all the "travellers" out there, clearly thrilled by hearing the news about the "illegal music festival" on that farmland in Wales.
(00:05) Felix - Don't You Want Me (actual release date is the same date as this broadcast, so Chris must have excitedly picked up a promo, wanting to play it on the show immediately. Might be the first time the song was played on British radio.)
(05:38) Neil says he had to get up at the crack of dawn in order to make it to the studio by 8, "it's a bit early for me". He then announces they're playing the best of the new records "we like", including the next one.
(05:51) Fierce Ruling Diva - You Gotta Believe (Hard To Believe Mix) (probably another first play as the record was released in July 1992, and most likely the only time it was being played on prime radio)
(10:40) Pet Shop Boys jingle "Pet Shop Boys in the morning... Radio 1". Chris highlights an upcoming non-stop dance mix at 10:30, courtesy of Colin Faver, then gives the deets on the upcoming track.
(11:04) No idea here. Chris announces it as something like Good To Bad And Ugly - España, but is probably taking the mickey with the Good/Bad/Ugly since it sounds like a Morricone guitar (unless it's a deep underground track and/or a very famous track I haven't previously heard) (I couldn't find the track, and got side-tracked when I found, while searching, this mental Ramirez track - La Musika Tremenda (D.J. Ricci Rmx) - that Chris would have fawned over if he found it back in 1992 (maychance he did))
(14:25) Neil relays an article in Music Week of how Top of the Pops is in a state of crisis because of "rave records", and asks listenerns to phone or fax their views. Meanwhile, a "rave record" is playing.
(15:12) Jam & Spoon - The Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Watch Out For Stella Mix) (hence Neil and Chris wanting them to later remix Young Offender and Yesterday When I Was Mad)
(18:11) Chris reads out some faxes, Neil laughs at the Haçienda posse "nice one, top one" one. Chris then announces that of course the track playing is the absolute choon that it is.
(18:51) Baby June - Hey! Whats Your Name
(23:43) Pet Shop Boys jingle (DJ Culture) and Neil announces upcoming news, DJ mix and a promise to play Rhythm Is A Dancer. 
(24:07) Snap! - Rhythm Is A Dancer
(27:43) BBC Proms promo, where an answer to a question about its history is to be written on a postcard or within a sealed envelope and sent in to the BBC. How communication has changed...
(28:44) Neil butts in to say the DJ mix is coming up, but first, Rod McKenzie will read us the news. He is still flabbergasted by the "thousands" of travellers on that farmland in Wales "showing no signs of leaving" despite there being hundreds of police wanting to evict them from the area. A local MP calls in, citing a local farmer. Then more Iraqi news with soundbytes, and something about UK "hooligan school children", and Mary Wells has still died (now with an interview with Smokey Robinson, talking about the "quite a few" hit records they had together). Finally, the space shuttle Atlantis has an amazingly haute cuisine food menu, Swiss cheese, "Swiss choccies", and truffles. The Swiss austronaut will fell at home, but the American crew will pig out as usual. Great British news broadcasting right there. Then a jingle isn't played and he has to improvise and does it poorly.
(31:34) Pet Shop Boys jingle (Music For Boys)
(31:50) V.N.E. - Force Mass Motion (I guess this is the start of the fantastic Colin Faver mix. A song like this at 10:30 in the morning, absolutely brilliant)
(34:30) No idea. Classic early 90s raver sound. Absolute tune.
(38:38) No idea. Classic early 90s piano raver sound. Absolute tune.
(41:06) Wax Doctor - A New Direction
(44:06) No idea. Absolute fookin belter mixed in with the Wax Doctor track.
(44:58) Chris rudely interrupts the groove by having to announce Colin's next gigs.
(45:03) Rachel Wallace - Tell Me Why
(48:38) Pet Shop Boys jingle (yet another juicy "Pet Shop Boys live on your Radio 1"), then Neil reads out listeners faxes about how TOTP is naff, most of them essentially saying "let's keep the status quo and let's rock!". Then Chris goes "that's enough from you" and puts the next record on.
(50:08) Urban Shakedown - Some Justice
(53:53) Neil keeps on ranting about Top of the Pops, the people have spoken, they want it "JUST THE SAME". Neil deflects the comment to the BBC guy in charge, "I hope you're taking notes". 
(54:20) Love & Sas - Don't Stop Now (Mickey Finn Remix)
(57:44) Yet another Pet Shop Boys jingle "Pet Shop Boys in the morning... Radio 1". Neil reads out some dedications, including a birthday wish. Chris promises some more cracking tunes "tomorrow", while Jealousy is played.
(58:50) The BBC "we're going into the next segments" beeps are playing. THE RADIO ONE ROAD SHOW is playing and Steve Wright immediately brings the mood down.
Jesus, I went to both Knowledge and Rage. Tempus fugit.

G_Goalden

#44 Post by G_Goalden »

fluffmoln wrote:
Fri 07 Aug 2020, 10:35 pm
Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Monday 24 July 1992, 9:00-10:00

I figured I'd have some fun getting the tracklists down, and started with the first link provided. News snippets help pin down the date to Monday 27th 1992 (Mary Wells died the night before). There was never a Monday 24th 1992 (unless in a different dimension). For context, The Golden Hour was a Simon Bates show where during the first hour he played records tied to a specific year for the listeners to "play along at home", two years per hour.

Timestamps with song titles and descriptive comments for you all to enjoy:

(00:00) Pet Shop Boys jingle (Music For Boys) Neil and Chris introduce themselves and The Golden Hour
(00:20) One-Two-Three ‎– Runaway (Bobby O production, of course)
(04:51) Neil gives a clue to the year mentioning the Cecil Parkinson/Sara Keays affair. Chris cheekily puts on Flashdance.
(05:03) Irene Cara - Flashdance... What a Feeling
(08:12) Chris reads out phone and fax numbers "if you know what the year was". Neil gives a clue saying Boy George was the biggest pop star in the world.
(08:29) Culture Club - Victims
(13:16) Tina Turner - Let's Stay Together (Al Stewart cover)
(16:35) Neil gives another clue about the year being Mrs. Thatcher's reelection year and the year police shot innocent man Stephen Waldorf at Earl's Court (having mistaken him for an escaped prisoner). Chris butts in that The Style Council had a hit as well.
(16:51) The Style Council - Long Hot Summer
(19:55) First faxes streaming in, with super fan Diane from Chelmsford commenting "Chris, I love the Cicero video". Chris: "Wow."
(20:08) Forrest - Rock The Boat (The Hues Corporation cover, actually released in 1982)
(23:00) Malcolm McLaren - D'ya Like Scratchin'
(23:25) Chris announces that the year was of course 1983, reads out listeners that got it right, stumbles on a last name. Neil points out that listener Beverly thought it was 1984, then marvels at the fact that this was a year where Malcolm McLaren was a pop star.
(23:55) Malcolm McLaren - D'ya Like Scratchin'
(26:35) Laura Branigan - Gloria (Umberto Tozzi cover, actually released in 1982)
(29:15) Chris announces it's 9:30 and time for news. Stories about the Gulf War, war-torn Sarajevo, racism in UK prisons, "the Queen of Motown" Mary Wells dying, police ready to evict "hippies, travellers, and ravers" from an illegal music festival on farmland in Wales, and finally cheaper New Zealand funerals "if relatives of the deceased loved one dig [the grave] themselves".
(31:44) Pet Shop Boys jingle ("what was the yeeear?")
(32:07) Tina Charles - I Love To Love (But My Baby Loves To Dance)
(34:39) Neil moves on to a new year, during which Harold Wilson mysteriously resigned to be replaced by Jim Callaghan. "It was also the year of Donna Summer."
(34:51) Donna Summer - Could It Be Magic
(37:53) Neil introduces Bryan Ferry, gives clues about reclusive billionaire Howard Hughes dying and the hard-to-pronounce Viscount Montgomery - Monty - kicking the bucket.
(38:05) Bryan Ferry - The Price of Love
(41:02) Pet Shop Boys on Radio 1 jingle (It's A Sin)
(41:12) The Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World (Prelude)
(44:15) Chris clues us in that this is the year that "Marc Bolan had his last really big hit".
(44:20) T. Rex - I Love To Boogie
(46:16) Neil says one of the big films of the year was David Bowie's The Man Who Fell To Earth. Surprisingly as well, Yesterday was a big hit!
(46:22) The Beatles - Yesterday (re-released this year "due to the expiration of the Beatles' contract with EMI, which allowed the company to repackage the Beatles' recordings as they wished". Hence they released the lot, causing six of the singles to hit the charts, with Yesterday peaking at no. 8.)
(48:16) Diana Ross - Love Hangover
(51:32) Chris announces the listeners that got the year right, but teases the answer until after the next record.
(51:47) Andrea True Connection - More, More, More (famously sampled by Len for "Steal My Sunshine")
(54:43) Chris: "The year of course was 1976." Neil shows off his chart history knowledge, then introduces the next record.
(54:53) The Isaac Hayes Movement - Disco Connection (actually released in 1975)
(59:23) Neil announces it's 10 o'clock and says they'll be back in a few seconds. Then another newscast where the announcer says that the deadline has passed for the revellers on that farmland in Wales to bugger off, some story of a York murder, and again announcing tributes following the death of Mary Wells. Then a 1 FM jingle and on to the next hour.
Highlights include the newscast comments on the "hippies, travellers, and ravers" on a farmland in Wales where an "illegal music festival" was held being evicted by police. I bet Chris was thrilled to hear about that one.

Many thanks for these, G_Goalden. I'll see if I can do the above for all of the hours. No promises.
Outstanding work, please continue. 👏 I enjoyed your transcript as much as the shows 😀

Have you looked on the Mixcloud tracks - some of the songs/mixes/tracklists have been identified on there?

G.

fluffmoln

#45 Post by fluffmoln »

Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Tuesday 28 July 1992, 9:00-10:00

This is fun!

Pet Shop Boys - Radio 1, Tuesday 28 July 1992, 09:00-10:00
(00:00) Pet Shop Boys jingle (the actual song Pet Shop Boys), Neil and Chris introduce themselves and The Golden Hour.
(00:10) Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence
(03:35) Neil is all "well what WAS the year??", giving out a clue about the government providing £12 million towards mad cow disease resarch, snarkily adding that "that made a lot of difference". Chris deadpans that Neil's favourite paper, The Independent On Sunday, was launched this year.
(03:46) Kylie Minogue - Better The Devil You Know
(07:26) Snap! - The Power
(11:08) Pet Shop Boys jingle (Music For Boys)
(11:26) Neil reports that they're still live on air, then offers a clue about the Golden Hour year during which hurricane force winds killed 32 people in south Britain (most likely referencing the Burns' Day Storm in late January 1990). It was also the year the Washington D.C. mayor, Marion Barry, was arrested for possession of crack. Seriously Neil, who would remember when these dour things occurred? "Luckily", he announces it was also "the year of Stevie V and Dirty Cash".
(11:42) Adventures Of Stevie V - Dirty Cash (Money Talks) (originally released in the UK in 1989, but re-released to a better response in the US in 1990. Maybe they heard the amazing David Morales Red Zone Mix and went on to commission him to remix So Hard and Streets...)
(15:16) Together - Hardcore Uproar (the song begins)
(15:46) Chris gives out the phone and fax numbers "if you know what the year was", then announces the record currently playing.
(15:57) Together - Hardcore Uproar (a song that samples a John Carpenter film theme song and a 1983 Dutch Italo Disco tune, with chords similar to In The Night [maybe inspired from The Clothes Show on BBC, eh?]. The song made it to no. 12 on the UK singles chart in August 1990, and perhaps might have helped popularise the term "hardcore".)
(18:42) Neil offers up more clues! Scottish Labour MP Ron Brown was charged £1000 for "causing criminal damage to his [former] lover's flat". Also, a Welsh weightlifter - Ricky Chaplin - was stripped of his Commonwealth Games gold medal in New Zealand after a positive drug test. Again Neil, who remembers these things? Then he offers up some Happy Mondays.
(19:05) Happy Mondays - Kinky Afro
(22:32) EMF - Unbelievable (the radio/tape distortion during the song makes it so much better)
(25:58) Neil announces some listeners that got the year - 1990 - right, including "Biffos of Brockley" and "Pete and Dino of the Anglian Engineering and Design Services Limited" (well done using that fax machine, lads), and good on ya Kenny Murphy from Edinburgh as well.
(26:28) Double Dee Featuring Dany ‎– Found Love
(29:22) Chris announces the previous track and our new brought-upon mate, newscaster Rod McKenzie. He brings us news of UN inspectors in Baghdad where they are checking out the Ministry of Agriculture building and David Kay, the Chief Weapons Inspector, says it's a waste of time. Meanwhile, on home soil, a baby girl in Wales has gone through a heart transplant [she was 16 months at the time, and sadly passed away at age 14 in 2005]. Then peculiarly, and kind of as an aside, the death of a baby from Nottingham is brought up because I guess he had the Guinness Record of having the lowest record weight since 1938 when being born. Thanks Rod. Then more uplifting news about increased council housing rents because Tories are Tories. Then, in other Brexit news, a Tory is upset with Brussels about the VAT rate. For some reason, the Mirror is quoted. Thanks Rod. He then announces that the "food of the future" is "Italian truffle pasta and !Pink! peppercorn salad dressing", creations of something called "Boffins" in Washington. "Also on the way! Gold plated chocolate jewellery!!" What is the point of this newscast? Ah right, Rod reminds us: "1 FM News, keeping you in tune with the world. The latest word in thirty minutes." I speak for Neil and Chris when I say, "Rod, you're a miserable old bastard."
(31:59) Pet Shop Boys jingle ("what was the yeeear?")
(32:26) Gloria Gaynor - I Am What I Am (a Broadway stomper from La Cage aux Folles, a great palate cleanser after that newscast)
(35:36) Neil offers up a clue for the new Golden Hour! This year, Bruce McCandless [II] was the first astronaut to walk in space untethered.
(35:47) Patrick Cowley featuring Sylvester - Menergy (originally released in 1981, re-released in 1984 with Sylvester vocals)
(41:40) Chris offers up some more news clues. British miners striked and coppers illegally used road blocks for the first time. More importantly, Shannon was sweeping the clubs.
(41:52) Shannon - Give Me Tonight (another blatant ripoff of In The Night... Oh wait... Also, the Dub mix is essentially Paninaro...)
(46:09) Pet Shop Boys jingle ("Live On Your Radio")
(46:23) Neil regales Ronald Reagan being reelected this particular year, but despite that great music was still being made. For instance, New Order went to New York to record with Arthur Baker.
(46:32) New Order - Thieves Like Us
(51:10) Chris berates some people for getting the year wrong, including a Wakefield couple who wildly believed the year to be 1977. He then realises he's started a new record and gets off track, Neil chuckling in the background. Another listener guessed 1982, "the year Silly Billy got married" (a reference going over my head at the moment), and "the Leo Technical Services Limited" (again with the blokes using fax machines) thinking the year was 1978, "which of course it wasn't".
(51:37) Madonna - Borderline (of course from the 1983 album Madonna, but released as the fifth single [those were the days...] in 1984).
(55:45) Tons of phone calls from people who got it right, including Diane from Chelmsford (who Neil clearly doesn't remember having made the "love the Cicero video" comment the day before). Of course the year was 1984.
(56:00) Jocelyn Brown - Somebody Else's Guy
(59:34) Chris: "We'll be back with some new stuff, right after Rod McKenzie." Groan. Cocaine drug offences at Stansted, the government announcing its plan of future education, and Frankie Howerd's will is for some reason brought up. That's it from Rod, the wet blanket.
Last edited by fluffmoln on Sun 09 Aug 2020, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.