Was it Roger Scruton PSB sued?..

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Deschanel

Was it Roger Scruton PSB sued?..

#1 Post by Deschanel »

Or perhaps i'm misremembering. But didn't PSB sue one Roger Scruton because he claimed that like the Spice girls, they didn't write their own songs?

Well if it is the same person, he has an article in the Guardian where he describes how his grandfather's name was.. Lowe.

He also describes the torments of being a red-haired person in school.
Can relate.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/extracts/st ... 62,00.html

Hattom

#2 Post by Hattom »

You're right - I think. My recollection is that in 1998 the PSB sued Scruton for claiming that they stole the music for It's A Sin from Cat Stevens. An out of court settlement (in PSB's favour) was reached.

But I too may be misremembering. 1998 was a horribly long time ago. :roll:

raggatwin

#3 Post by raggatwin »

I think his comments were edited out in the re print.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

bookshopboy

#4 Post by bookshopboy »

Hattom wrote:You're right - I think. My recollection is that in 1998 the PSB sued Scruton for claiming that they stole the music for It's A Sin from Cat Stevens. An out of court settlement (in PSB's favour) was reached.

Jonathan King was sued over the Cat Stevens thing.

Scrutton was sued because he said that acts like the Spice Girls and Pet Shop Boys had not input in making thier music.

psb-freak

#5 Post by psb-freak »

Hattom wrote:You're right - I think. My recollection is that in 1998 the PSB sued Scruton for claiming that they stole the music for It's A Sin from Cat Stevens. An out of court settlement (in PSB's favour) was reached.

I still have a small article´from Q saying that.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Syncratic

#6 Post by Syncratic »

Roger Scruton is a tit. He's one of those people who thinks he is an authority on everything. he's written books about philosophy, sex, and Fox Hunting (which he supports) and I believe he's written a naff opera. He sometimes turns up on Newsnight.

Yes, PSB sued him because he claimed that they were manufactured. It was Jonathan King who claimed It's a Sin was ripped of Wild World by Cat Stevens.

Hmmm

#7 Post by Hmmm »

In his book "An Intelligent Person's Guide to Philosophy" he writes about the Pet Shop Boys:
Sometimes, as with the Spice Girls or the Pet Shop Boys, serious doubts arise as to whether the performers made more than a minimal contribution to the recording, which owes its trade mark to subsequent sound engineering, designed precisely to make it unrepeatable.
In a subsequent libel case the Pet Shop Boys sued Mr Scruton, during which the defendent agreed to pay Neil and Chris a sum each in damages and all their libel costs.

Go here for FAQ:http://www.xs4all.nl/~ramdyne/psb/faq/
They make a little go along way.. very Minimal but Fundamental.

rollo

#8 Post by rollo »

Syncratic wrote:Roger Scruton is a tit. He's one of those people who thinks he is an authority on everything. he's written books about philosophy, sex, and Fox Hunting (which he supports) and I believe he's written a naff opera. He sometimes turns up on Newsnight.

Yes, PSB sued him because he claimed that they were manufactured. It was Jonathan King who claimed It's a Sin was ripped of Wild World by Cat Stevens.
Agreed, on every point.

I read the fox hunting book once... a very entertaining read as I recall.
Check out my new music blog...
http://musicforstowaways.wordpress.com/

Flaffer

#9 Post by Flaffer »

he doesn't let his child listen to pop music either, I think the only music allowed is folk music dating from the middle ages. I read this in a article years ago, he thinks almost everyone is culturally barren as well
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

glennjridge

#10 Post by glennjridge »

george michael was sued by barry manilow. he felt last christmas was a rip-off of cant smile without you. he lost.

one thing though regarding the PSB.when I read the remastered booklets I do see lots of hints that the PSB dont always play on their own songs. an example being the guy who did "before" pretty much did the track the way I read.

RaciePSB

#11 Post by RaciePSB »

I didn't know any of this. Interesting!
Rachel
Happily PSB-obsessed since 1986

Zeus On The Loose

#12 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

glennjridge wrote:george michael was sued by barry manilow. he felt last christmas was a rip-off of cant smile without you. he lost.

one thing though regarding the PSB.when I read the remastered booklets I do see lots of hints that the PSB dont always play on their own songs. an example being the guy who did "before" pretty much did the track the way I read.
PSB don't do their own programming, that's how it's always been and they've never made any effort to claim otherwise.
Does cameos only.

rollo

#13 Post by rollo »

That wasn't the point - as you can see from the quote, he effectively claimed that they didn't actually write their own material (instead getting computers/monkeys to do it for them), which of course is libellous, so they sued.

Zeus On The Loose

#14 Post by Zeus On The Loose »

rollo wrote:That wasn't the point - as you can see from the quote, he effectively claimed that they didn't actually write their own material (instead getting computers/monkeys to do it for them), which of course is libellous, so they sued.
That wasn't my point, The Glenn made it out as if Danny Tenaglia did everything on Before when in reality, PSB just write the tunes and have people produce/program them while they're out shopping and having dinner. That's always been the case and they've made no secret of the fact. I think the quote in question had more to do with PSB making 'electronic' music which, obviously, was considered to be music made by pushing a magic button on a computer by old people in the 80's. I don't think his point was that they were manufactured in the same sense as the Spice Girls were.
Does cameos only.

rollo

#15 Post by rollo »

Yes, sorry, my reply wasn't to your post, it was to Glenn's.

I think in response to your last one you have to start raising the question of the semantics of 'program' and 'produce' (and while you're at it, 'engineer' as well...)

My impression is often that PSB produce a fairly advanced (if largely Korg Prophecy-based) demo and then work with someone else to polish it, but obviously with the Zippel/Hague/Tarantula-produced ones that isn't the case.

Anyway... where Roger... um. I recall someone coming up with a rather unpleasant version of his surname at the time... anyway, where he's concerned, however his comments were intended, they were clearly open to misinterpretation, which isn't wise in the publishing world, I believe.