The Classic movie ;- It Couldn't Happen Here
No votes
Anything else i've ignorantly forgotton
20%

Total votes: 81

Effen Vida

Re: Your defining moment

#46 Post by Effen Vida »

Hearing Suburbia being played very, very loudly at the 'Teen Scene' Saturday afternoon disco at Rooftop Gardens nightclub in Wakefield, circa 1986

I was utterly wowed and haven't looked back since.

Minimalizm

#47 Post by Minimalizm »

Deschanel wrote:(Markus, I appreciate your sentiments very much. They're heartening to read.)

Am I the only one who didn't like PSB at first?
No you are not the only one.. Clueless young boy that I was, I hated West End Girls with all my heart and other members of my body (I love what I love but I hate with passion :P ) when it was setting charts on fire...When the radio played it, I couldn't be that fast to change the station to whatever it was...I disparaged them, I belittled them in my circle of friends...

It wasn't until I heard the dogs barking at the beginning of Suburbia (I guess I have something common with barking dogs in my ancestry, first Suburbia, then Always on my mind, both my top tunes of all times) and the following synth intro that I fell in love with them, and shameless young boy that I was, I begun to promote them, denying all my past opinions :mrgreen:

Still I am not so hot about West End girls, but I also don't hate it...Actually, I could love it if I was left to my own devices...

stussyboy

#48 Post by stussyboy »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Undertaker wrote:Wasn't that Steve Wright and his ''Most unusual song from a most unusual band'' comment?
Oh, the irony.

Mine has to be this.....

agreed...no other band etc. etc. Even in 1993 the dodgy BBC post-production graphics annoyed me though. And I always wanted to see more of Chris's dancing. But the best bit is when Neil looks into the camera as he sings "You looked right into those blue eyes and knew..."
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

pallbearer

#49 Post by pallbearer »

1986 ,leighton buzzard ,my sisters house. aged 13 . she had now 8 playing on tape ,heard surburbia and the rest they say is history. i dont think i,ve played a song more than that. must have been at least 30 odd times in a row. till she got annoyed and finally through the said tape out of the window

Tom Angel

#50 Post by Tom Angel »

Reading the pre-release announcement of 'It's a sin' in Smash Hits. With the picture of Chris in that Black leather cap.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

discogirl79

#51 Post by discogirl79 »

Drunk video and appearance at Nulle Part Aileurs in 2000, I am ''obsessed '' sice then. :wink:

Corina

#52 Post by Corina »

My defining moment: watching the Nightlife concert (the unedited, non-Montage version), which was broadcasted on MTV Romania in the night just before the PSB concert in Bucharest - November 2007... I started watching it as I hadn`t anything better to do, and in the end got to kick myself for having ignored the concert that was about to take place in my hometown! I wasn`t their fan until then (I actually always liked them, but wasn`t really a follower), it was that moment when I realized that these guys really ARE entertainers, still able to give great concerts... So, from the skeptical beginning seeing Neil in the strange I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more costume with that wacky wig, to the fantastic end with them both performing Go West on their synthesizers in front of a crazy crowd, wearing those beautiful metallic jackets, I was completely hitched!! I spent the following 2-3 days almost in a trance, catching up on Internet with the things that I didn`t know about Pet Shop Boys (reading the fantastic lyrics included - had no idea before who writes them), then I found the PSB fan forums, realized how great places they are, and that was it.
Last edited by Corina on Wed 20 May 2009, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

psb-freak

#53 Post by psb-freak »

Minimalizm wrote:
Deschanel wrote:(Markus, I appreciate your sentiments very much. They're heartening to read.)

Am I the only one who didn't like PSB at first?
No you are not the only one.
I recognise myself too. The first one I heard was Ab Fab. I thought they were ok but not that good. So not really hated them but not so fond either. When I heard it the second time it sounded better.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Corina

#54 Post by Corina »

psb-freak wrote:The first one I heard was Ab Fab.
I remember that back in the 90`s my favourite radio station then played Ab Fab a lot, almost obsessively. Never cared then to know who`s singing, but I definitely thought that it was a woman singing :oops: I finally discovered it is a song by PSB in 2007!!
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?