Neil & Chris Texts

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
geowayne

Re: Neil & Chris Texts

#2461 Post by geowayne »

glennjridge wrote:sliding into nickname territory I"m afraid a song with a title like "winner" has no choice but to slip into the usual insipid cliche's of the history of tunes that have a like sounding title where all of the lyrics relate to competition and rising above.
I'm not sure I agree. I have my own theory about "Winner" -- assuming it's even the correct title, of course -- that it may have something to do with celebrity meltdowns. If you recall the case last year of Charlie Sheen, who repeatedly referred to himself as "winning" during his notoriously bizarre public pronouncements of his own apparent meltdown phase, you'll see what I mean. I think that would be a lot more traditionally "PSB-ish" than something having to do with athletes, the Olympics, and the like.

But this is all wild speculation. Fun speculation, for sure, but speculation nonetheless. We're not even sure about the single's title yet.

BrilliantPSB

#2462 Post by BrilliantPSB »

Sandy Shaw wrote:
BrilliantPSB wrote:
No, it doesn't mean that.
It just means WINNER was not published as a PSB single on any major site like the British Music Industry magazine and there's no need to deny it.
Music Week is exactly where the info on Winner WAS published (then leaked)!
show me
Neil Tennant has a great voice, Chris Lowe has great silence.

Sandy Shaw

#2463 Post by Sandy Shaw »

BrilliantPSB wrote:
Sandy Shaw wrote:
BrilliantPSB wrote:
No, it doesn't mean that.
It just means WINNER was not published as a PSB single on any major site like the British Music Industry magazine and there's no need to deny it.
Music Week is exactly where the info on Winner WAS published (then leaked)!
show me
http://www.thisisnotretro.com/pet-shop- ... -in-august

If you register on the Music Week site, which has a free trial, you will be able to see the source of the info.
What's for supper?

BrilliantPSB

#2464 Post by BrilliantPSB »

sorry but that's not Music Week magazine and WINNER was not officially published as the leading single either.
It was another error as the "Down in the Woods" one, which is actually other artist's single name.
Time will prove me (or not) right.
Neil Tennant has a great voice, Chris Lowe has great silence.

Undertaker

#2465 Post by Undertaker »

Don't worry, i'm sure another one of the forums 'in the don't knows' will post another load of crap in the next few days.

It makes me laugh the amount of shit you see posted and a source never linked. Then the actual news turns out to be a load of crap anyway. It's worse than those that put up news they have read on facebook or twitter and try making out they are the oracle.

bohemians.

#2466 Post by bohemians. »

you really make me laugh, Sandy, Neil checking out "bohemians."..
so no competition in woods :roll:
..it looks like there was one in Ascot- Lara Stone s face close to Neil -that you should send to mermaid topic/and Neil did not call me to join :cry: :cry:

Sandy Shaw

#2467 Post by Sandy Shaw »

BrilliantPSB wrote:sorry but that's not Music Week magazine and WINNER was not officially published as the leading single either.
It was another error as the "Down in the Woods" one, which is actually other artist's single name.
Time will prove me (or not) right.
Music Week publish their info in a magazine AND online...
What's for supper?

AlfonsoPSB

#2468 Post by AlfonsoPSB »

05 July 2012

Record of the week

We have been informed that "Winner" will be Record Of The Week on BBC Radio 2 next week! More information can be found at the link below.

Radio 2
You're being watched.

Patrick Bateman

#2469 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Status Quo are on the A-list with their Winner.

I'm pretty confident that PSB will be heavily playlisted on Radio 2 come late July/August. :wink: They are media darlings after all, just like the Quo.

Radiophonic

#2470 Post by Radiophonic »

Now that's just painful.

y3potential

#2471 Post by y3potential »

Never thought I would see a link to those masters of three chord pub rock on these pages...But having listened/endured that appalling assault on my ear drums ( I saw it through to the bitter end), I now see OUR "Winner" as an absolute masterpiece in comparison...
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Radiophonic

#2472 Post by Radiophonic »

y3potential wrote:Never thought I would see a link to those masters of three chord pub rock on these pages...But having listened/endured that appalling assault on my ear drums ( I saw it through to the bitter end), I now see OUR "Winner" as an absolute masterpiece in comparison...
There is my point. 8)

By the way, I bailed out very early.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

y3potential

#2473 Post by y3potential »

Radiophonic wrote:
y3potential wrote:Never thought I would see a link to those masters of three chord pub rock on these pages...But having listened/endured that appalling assault on my ear drums ( I saw it through to the bitter end), I now see OUR "Winner" as an absolute masterpiece in comparison...
There is my point. 8)

By the way, I bailed out very early.

I thought I would take a hit for the team... :dance:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Ghost within this house

#2474 Post by Ghost within this house »

geowayne wrote:
glennjridge wrote:sliding into nickname territory I"m afraid a song with a title like "winner" has no choice but to slip into the usual insipid cliche's of the history of tunes that have a like sounding title where all of the lyrics relate to competition and rising above.
I'm not sure I agree. I have my own theory about "Winner" -- assuming it's even the correct title, of course -- that it may have something to do with celebrity meltdowns. If you recall the case last year of Charlie Sheen, who repeatedly referred to himself as "winning" during his notoriously bizarre public pronouncements of his own apparent meltdown phase, you'll see what I mean. I think that would be a lot more traditionally "PSB-ish" than something having to do with athletes, the Olympics, and the like.

But this is all wild speculation. Fun speculation, for sure, but speculation nonetheless. We're not even sure about the single's title yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipTwjwrQYQ
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Ghost within this house

#2475 Post by Ghost within this house »

geowayne wrote:

Wayne, come and join in the theorising! Still reckon there's a celebrity thing going on in Winner? Autobiographical? Olympic? Shameless? A bit of all four?
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun