leaving top ten ?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
pallbearer

leaving top ten ?

#1 Post by pallbearer »

with leaving being released on so many formats do you think it will make the top ten , i think a few non fans will buy it too

Tenlow

Re: leaving top ten ?

#2 Post by Tenlow »

:eh:
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

Undertaker

#3 Post by Undertaker »

No Homer.

davenjulieuk

#4 Post by davenjulieuk »

in with a bullet at no.38 ! :)
Miracles happen when you're around...

Parkol

#5 Post by Parkol »

I think it would be. Remember Drunk! it was in Top 10. If a couple of stars will tweet how this song is good - it would work.

Undertaker

#6 Post by Undertaker »

I wish some would get a grip ffs. You need 30,000 copies for a top ten. The last time that happened was 'Before'. It's the same old rigmarole every single time. The last two haven't even made the top 40. If Leaving does, it will be a great achievement just to do that but i can catergorically state that Leaving will not sell 30,000 copies :lol:

Eldritch

#7 Post by Eldritch »

I would be happy with a Top 60 placing and ecstatic of a Top 50 showing.
Click click drone

Radiophonic

#8 Post by Radiophonic »

Well the last one got to 86 so I think the new one will definitely get to 186.
Last edited by Radiophonic on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

tottenhammattspurs

#9 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

"Number 58 can we reserve you for a week next monday please?"
is is and isnt isnt

Eldritch

#10 Post by Eldritch »

Leaving has more formats all released on the same day, so it'll definitely do better than Winner. Not much better though.
Click click drone

Palpatine

#11 Post by Palpatine »

Parkol wrote:I think it would be. Remember Drunk! it was in Top 10. If a couple of stars will tweet how this song is good - it would work.
I guess denial isn't just a river in Egypt!

Drunk was twelve years ago and it only got to the Top 10 because it was released in January, which at the time was the slowest sales month in the year. IIRC, I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more and New York city boy sold twice what Drunk did and both failed to crack the Top 10.

Of course, the biggest differences between 2000 and now is that sales were 100% physical and now the reverse is true, something like 99.7% of sales are downloads, which favour young acts. Legacy acts like PSB have an older fanbase who prefer to buy physical formats, so that makes it practically impossible for PSB to have a Top 20 hit again. Also, downloads make it impossible to have a cheat "hit" by releasing a song in January because, unlike the pre-download era, January is now one of the busiest times of the year for sales because of people using gift cards they got during Christmas.

I'd love Leaving to crack the Top 10. It's an amazing song from a fantastic singles package, one of their best in a long time IMHO, but there is absolutely no way PSB will ever have a Top 10 hit again, unless Katy Perry or Rihanna etc. have a song that samples a PSB tune (or they die and Being Boring finally cracks the Top 10!). The sales environment of 2012 is so completely different from that of 2000 that it's moot to compare former with the latter.

Even if Leaving had been released as the lead single from Elysium, with a decent video, I doubt it would have cracked the Top 40.

Patrick Bateman

#12 Post by Patrick Bateman »

If they die, it'll inevitably be West End girls in the top forty. And Discography making its umpteenth re-entry.

daveid

#13 Post by daveid »

More chance that Jimmy Saville kept his saveloy to himself.

romy

#14 Post by romy »

you need 15000 for album top ten,but 30000 for single top ten?how crazy is this??????

Eldritch

#15 Post by Eldritch »

romy wrote:you need 15000 for album top ten,but 30000 for single top ten?how crazy is this??????
It's due to the downloads. A single track costs an euro, a whole album usually about ten euros.

But on the positive side, the chart is actually more democratic now. Jusr suppose that on the week beginning October 15th about 50 000 people in the UK hear Leaving on the radio and decide to buy it. In the old age that wouldn't have been possible, since due to low expectations that many copies of the single wouldn't even have been printed, never mind available in the shops. iTunes et al won't run out of downloadable copies of Leaving.
Click click drone