Kylie - The official kylie thread
- Shopper
- Posts: 2350
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 12:52 pm
- Contact:
Britney has always been huge in USA, but now is surely getting more coverage for her antics than her music, which is a pity, because it is getting better.
Ya, toxic was a great song!! but not as memorable as Opps or even Hit me baby..
Kylie mainstream success in the USA was really a one off thing and what Capitol could have done was release the right singles and do endless promotion. She is hardly a household name. Too bad about the VH1 Diva dropout, cause that could have been a defining move for her
Ya, toxic was a great song!! but not as memorable as Opps or even Hit me baby..
Kylie mainstream success in the USA was really a one off thing and what Capitol could have done was release the right singles and do endless promotion. She is hardly a household name. Too bad about the VH1 Diva dropout, cause that could have been a defining move for her
- Steve Fett
- Posts: 1867
- Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 2:13 pm
still, i think that its pointless that Kylie's camp try to break her bigtime in the old USA. The charts there really depend on just R&B - pop and dance music are hardly faves in the top20. Americans tend to love their own, and everything else seems just like a novelty. Concentrate on your home territory and Europe Kylie, I say !!
The UK and Australian charts are far more diverse than USA, and also the differnce is that songs stay in the UK top10charts for about a week - the USA for about 2 months, and Australia for about a month. Starnge how this works, eh ??!!
The UK and Australian charts are far more diverse than USA, and also the differnce is that songs stay in the UK top10charts for about a week - the USA for about 2 months, and Australia for about a month. Starnge how this works, eh ??!!
what a performance tonight, should I react or turn off the light ?
- Ray
- Posts: 1133
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 6:32 am
Reading this reminds me of a Parlophone memo that was circulating before the BL release, which said "with this album we are aiming at establishing Kylie as the biggest female artist worldwide". Hehehehehehe...
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/raygrantmusic">(I wonder why) My career's in danger?!</a>
- Shopper
- Posts: 2350
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 12:52 pm
- Contact:
biggest has to mariah or beyonce, with their massive thunder thighs and other assets ! poor kylie is one compact 5 footer
I agree USA liked her for her Euro-dance and they make her go all urban, how misguided. But really if BL clicked, we'd be having diff opionions all together.
Have u heard Beyonce's new one 'naughty girl', I think Cruise control is more catchy than this, but the RBW video is similar in certain portions
I agree USA liked her for her Euro-dance and they make her go all urban, how misguided. But really if BL clicked, we'd be having diff opionions all together.
Have u heard Beyonce's new one 'naughty girl', I think Cruise control is more catchy than this, but the RBW video is similar in certain portions
- Steve Fett
- Posts: 1867
- Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 2:13 pm
- Shopper
- Posts: 2350
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 12:52 pm
- Contact:
- Steve Fett
- Posts: 1867
- Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 2:13 pm
- Ray
- Posts: 1133
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 6:32 am
I would have been unhappy if BL sold millions, because that would mean more third class R&B coming from Kyles -- since it flopped we may hope that whenever the next album comes out it will be listenable againShopper wrote:I agree USA liked her for her Euro-dance and they make her go all urban, how misguided. But really if BL clicked, we'd be having diff opionions all together.
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/raygrantmusic">(I wonder why) My career's in danger?!</a>
- Shopper
- Posts: 2350
- Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 12:52 pm
- Contact:
- Steve Fett
- Posts: 1867
- Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 2:13 pm
Her biggest break was from the end of 1998 to the start of 2000 (except for her putting down the vocals on "In Denial"). Every other year she's had some sort of release out except for 1996 when she didn't release anything ! Not bad for someone who's been around since 1987 !Shopper wrote:Agreed, but come on BL is not that badd![]()
I think she should take a break, have a baby and come back with some cracker tunes. She's over worked last 3 odd years..
what a performance tonight, should I react or turn off the light ?
-
Eldritch
- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Wed 10 Dec 2003, 8:24 am
Well, it always helps, if one doesn't write the songs nor take part in the recording process – except to sing the vocals. How hard exactly is it for her to record an album? A week in the studio doing the vocals – what a nightmare!Steve Fett wrote:Her biggest break was from the end of 1998 to the start of 2000 (except for her putting down the vocals on "In Denial"). Every other year she's had some sort of release out except for 1996 when she didn't release anything ! Not bad for someone who's been around since 1987 !Shopper wrote:Agreed, but come on BL is not that badd![]()
I think she should take a break, have a baby and come back with some cracker tunes. She's over worked last 3 odd years..
(I'm not putting her down for not writing her own songs. But the hard part about making albums is the writing part, so it's not exactly heroic to release an album every two years)
Click click drone
- Steve Fett
- Posts: 1867
- Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 2:13 pm
- these facts coming from the person that stated that she never released an album called "Impossible Princess" ???!!!Eldritch wrote:Well, it always helps, if one doesn't write the songs nor take part in the recording process – except to sing the vocals. How hard exactly is it for her to record an album? A week in the studio doing the vocals – what a nightmare!Steve Fett wrote:Her biggest break was from the end of 1998 to the start of 2000 (except for her putting down the vocals on "In Denial"). Every other year she's had some sort of release out except for 1996 when she didn't release anything ! Not bad for someone who's been around since 1987 !Shopper wrote:Agreed, but come on BL is not that badd![]()
I think she should take a break, have a baby and come back with some cracker tunes. She's over worked last 3 odd years..![]()
(I'm not putting her down for not writing her own songs. But the hard part about making albums is the writing part, so it's not exactly heroic to release an album every two years)
You need to re-check the writing credits on her albums then obviously ! I think you'll find she has written quite a few of them at last count !
Erm....I don't think that any of her albums took a week to record...if they did then crap - she must have had the winning formula since 1987 then, cos have you seen how many records she has sold in this period ?!?!?!?!
what a performance tonight, should I react or turn off the light ?
-
Eldritch
- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Wed 10 Dec 2003, 8:24 am
Yeah, yeah, and according to the album sleeve, Britney Spears "wrote" 8 tracks out of 12 on her new album.Steve Fett wrote: You need to re-check the writing credits on her albums then obviously ! I think you'll find she has written quite a few of them at last count !![]()
Erm....I don't think that any of her albums took a week to record.
Nowadays these co-writing credits mean nothing. Even the boy bands are "co-writing" their own songs these days. It's a clever ploy to both give the artist some credibility and his/her share of the writing royalties. The actual songwriters really have no choice: without a name artist to sing it, their song is worth nothing. In reality this song-writing input usually consists of changing one word there, another there – if even that. Are there actually any songs with Minogue as a sole writer?
I'm sure BO, sorry BL, took months to record. But I'm not sure Kylie spent that much doing her part for it.. If she had, it might even have been a better record.
Click click drone
- Steve Fett
- Posts: 1867
- Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 2:13 pm
ooh we are a closet Britney fan then are we to know about the writing credits on her latest album, are we ??!!Eldritch wrote:Yeah, yeah, and according to the album sleeve, Britney Spears "wrote" 8 tracks out of 12 on her new album.Steve Fett wrote: You need to re-check the writing credits on her albums then obviously ! I think you'll find she has written quite a few of them at last count !![]()
Erm....I don't think that any of her albums took a week to record.
Nowadays these co-writing credits mean nothing. Even the boy bands are "co-writing" their own songs these days. It's a clever ploy to both give the artist some credibility and his/her share of the writing royalties. The actual songwriters really have no choice: without a name artist to sing it, their song is worth nothing. In reality this song-writing input usually consists of changing one word there, another there – if even that. Are there actually any songs with Minogue as a sole writer?
I'm sure BO, sorry BL, took months to record. But I'm not sure Kylie spent that much doing her part for it.. If she had, it might even have been a better record.
what a performance tonight, should I react or turn off the light ?
-
Eldritch
- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Wed 10 Dec 2003, 8:24 am