Burn is quite good, isn't it?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
BlueSwan

Burn is quite good, isn't it?

#1 Post by BlueSwan »

I think we need a thread to properly assess the amazingness of this song.

0.00 - 0.31: Classic dance track buildup. Zero points for originality. 100 points for amazingness!

0.31 - 0.46: THAT brass hook, which I think is possibly a very slight nod to Propaganda's "P-Machinery". AMAZING. It also features TIMPANIES GALORE! Paninaro redux. Even more amazing!

0.46 - 1.01: Detuned bassline is introduced. OMFG!

1.02 - 1.17: The verse starts. Neil is sounding properly horny. PSB actually doing sexy and pulling it off. Finally after 30 years. Chris must be thrilled.

1.17: FAKE DISCO GUITARS!!!! Will there be no end to the amazingness?? The answer is NO!

1.19 - 1.48: We're gonna burn this disco down before the morning comes! YES WE ARE!! How can you not feel 17 again when listening to this?

1.49 - 2.03: Weird bit that for some reason was made into a snippet. Throwback to the Flourescent bassline. Still amazing!

2.03 - 2.35: You wanted some more detunery action. Well here it is. Dancefloors beware!

2.35 - 2.50: Say that verse was pretty delicious, why don't we have another and this time strip the music down to fully appreciate the extent of Neils lust for dirty sex while at the same time leaving you wanting for that massive chorus again. AMAZING!

2.50 - 3.29: We're gonna burn this disco down before the morning comes!!

3.30 - 3.54: WE'RE GONNA BURN THIS DISCO DOWN BEFORE THE MORNING COMES!!!!!

Honestly, this is their best song since The Way It Used To Be and just HAS to be a single. How I really want to hear this played at ridiculous volume on a dance floor.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

jamie1978

Re: Burn is quite good, isn't it?

#2 Post by jamie1978 »

yes the 'detuned bassline' - love it

there are some great features of this song....and yet.....somehow it hasn't quite 'clicked' fully, I think I'm holding back slightly as it's a little too cheesy for my taste

this probably says more about my inhibitions that it does about the track

BlueSwan

#3 Post by BlueSwan »

jamie1978 wrote:yes the 'detuned bassline' - love it

there are some great features of this song....and yet.....somehow it hasn't quite 'clicked' fully, I think I'm holding back slightly as it's a little too cheesy for my taste

this probably says more about my inhibitions that it does about the track
Let loose Jamie, I know you can do it mate! You need to listen to Burn LOUD! :D
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

grantwww

#4 Post by grantwww »

This is quite possibly my favourite song on the album. Just begging to be played loud. :yeah:

leesmapman

#5 Post by leesmapman »

I'm loving this song. Probably my favorite on the album.

Mark R.Y.

#6 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Broke down and searched for "Burn" on YouTube. The upload I found was a minute longer than what's listed for the album. I started listening and thought, Wow, this is really sly-sounding. Then the vocals came in....and did not sound like PSB at all! Yet the lyrics were correct. Then I realized that it had been posted at a slower speed. All I had to do was bump it up a notch and there's "Burn"!

Brasa

#7 Post by Brasa »

Maybe it's not the best track of the album but I agree it would have been the best choice for single release.
And I agree that it's fantastic when played loud.

Markpro

#8 Post by Markpro »

BlueSwan wrote:I think we need a thread to properly assess the amazingness of this song.

0.00 - 0.31: Classic dance track buildup. Zero points for originality. 100 points for amazingness!

0.31 - 0.46: THAT brass hook, which I think is possibly a very slight nod to Propaganda's "P-Machinery". AMAZING. It also features TIMPANIES GALORE! Paninaro redux. Even more amazing!

1.02 - 1.17: The verse starts. Neil is sounding properly horny. PSB actually doing sexy and pulling it off. Finally after 30 years. Chris must be thrilled.

1.17: FAKE DISCO GUITARS!!!! Will there be no end to the amazingness?? The answer is NO!

1.19 - 1.48: We're gonna burn this disco down before the morning comes! YES WE ARE!! How can you not feel 17 again when listening to this?

1.49 - 2.03: Weird bit that for some reason was made into a snippet. Throwback to the Flourescent bassline. Still amazing!

2.03 - 2.35: You wanted some more detunery action. Well here it is. Dancefloors beware!

2.35 - 2.50: Say that verse was pretty delicious, why don't we have another and this time strip the music down to fully appreciate the extent of Neils lust for dirty sex while at the same time leaving you wanting for that massive chorus again. AMAZING!

Honestly, this is their best song since The Way It Used To Be and just HAS to be a single. How I really want to hear this played at ridiculous volume on a dance floor.
I am absolutely on the same page as you and also think it's their best track since the way it used to be....but you missed one important thing from your list, the Paninaro drums are back :)
this is crying out for multiple mixes, it has to be a single, it's a fantastic song.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

BlueSwan

#9 Post by BlueSwan »

Markpro wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:I think we need a thread to properly assess the amazingness of this song.

I am absolutely on the same page as you and also think it's their best track since the way it used to be....but you missed one important thing from your list, the Paninaro drums are back :)
this is crying out for multiple mixes, it has to be a single, it's a fantastic song.
Hence my writing "Paninaro redux"! :wink:

Spittingcat

#10 Post by Spittingcat »

The lady of the house… "this is SO Pet Shop Boys"
And then the Axis style detuned/distorted/pushed bit… "oh, this is great"

One of several possible great singles. All of which sound both old and fresh at the same time.

Markpro

#11 Post by Markpro »

BlueSwan wrote:
Markpro wrote:

Hence my writing "Paninaro redux"! :wink:
Missed That, apologies :grumble: :clap:
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Remark

#12 Post by Remark »

Blue Swan, I totally agree with your assessment and excitement. This track, along with Undertow, have catapulted their way to the top of the PSB catalog. I have yet to determine exactly where they sit in the top, but they are both extraordinary. We better get remixes and we better get good ones that stay true to the original...not a demo reconstruction like we got with the Indio/Cali mixes of Fluorescent.

goughsjd

#13 Post by goughsjd »

It's possibly my cave on the album , so catchy u get it straight away & tenants vocals are great
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

Nightcrawler

#14 Post by Nightcrawler »

Yeah i like it too, i could see the boys play it live in a mash-up with "I Want a Lover". :)

Lleonard Pler

#15 Post by Lleonard Pler »

It's got their energy from their debut. You could listen to Suburbia, It's a sin and Burn in a row and think they belong to the same era.

Neil is sexier than ever. Total masterpiece.

But then again, Super production manages to sound both retro and fresh.