BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Pod

Re: BBC4 Top of the Pops Repeats

#76 Post by Pod »

Neil certainly liked his baggy overcoats didn’t he?
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Drico One

#77 Post by Drico One »

I liked that Pet Shop Boys seemed to dominate that Story of 1987 in a subtle way - despite not bothering to appear. There they were at the start of it and there they were at the end upsetting Carol Decker and bewildering Pete Waterman. Marvelous!

I think Rick Astley came across really well. Waterman was his usual entertaining self - the idea of him apoplectic with rage when EMI pulled their stroke was great entertainment. And Decker did, at least, have the wit to describe the "awkward" scene with Neil and Chris in the BBC's make up department.

The best bit, though, was surely the imagery used as Decker described her irritation at losing out on the Christmas chart topper after five weeks at the summit to a "cover!" There we had a smug, triumphant Neil Tennant, arms folded, deadpanning his way through the Christmas number one on Top of the Pops like the cat who got the cream, the Pogues, Carol Decker, and Pete Waterman left in his wake.

Truly, 1987 was the imperial apex. When Pet Shop Boys ruled pop - and had the smarts to sabotage Rick Astley to do it. In a year of "opportunity", they knew how to play the game better than anybody else.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Undertaker

#78 Post by Undertaker »

I didnt realise EMI pulled that stunt. They did they something right, quite triumphantly. They all seemed to accept defeat quite well actually, even with a bit of a clenched fist. Apart from that toothless simpleton of the Pogues.

Poor Carol Decker though. A few more weeks at number one and theyd not only get the Christmas top slot, they'd extend their 5 month career by another fortnight.

Neil just looks absolute class on TOTP's singing Always on my Mind and Its a Sin.

I've always liked Rick Astley. Always seems like a genuine bloke with good pop songs. Apart from that Christmas number 1 attempt.

Patrick Bateman

#79 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Undertaker wrote: Sun 06 Jan 2019, 12:57 pmPoor Carol Decker though. A few more weeks at number one and theyd not only get the Christmas top slot, they'd extend their 5 month career by another fortnight.
:lol:

Patrick Bateman

#80 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Before you know it, it'll be 1988 anyway.....

Old Soak

#81 Post by Old Soak »

1987 - curious show concentrating on the C list 'celebrities'. Good on EMI re-releasing a stonewall classic by Nat King Cole, much as I think Rick Astley comes across as a decent bloke that was a terrible cover. And I did laugh at Carole Decker being outraged by being usurped to the Christmas No.1 by merely "A cover". Claiming to have invented rap FFS... She had the same level of 'talent' when I encountered her way back at 6th form college...
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Undertaker

#82 Post by Undertaker »

Old Soak wrote: Mon 07 Jan 2019, 3:00 pm 1987 - curious show concentrating on the C list 'celebrities'. Good on EMI re-releasing a stonewall classic by Nat King Cole, much as I think Rick Astley comes across as a decent bloke that was a terrible cover. And I did laugh at Carole Decker being outraged by being usurped to the Christmas No.1 by merely "A cover". Claiming to have invented rap FFS... She had the same level of 'talent' when I encountered her way back at 6th form college...
Did she look like a baddie from Doctor Who back then as well?

Old Soak

#83 Post by Old Soak »

Had that awful hank of hair even then!
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Patrick Bateman

#84 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Undertaker

#85 Post by Undertaker »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019, 6:59 pm It doesn't have to be PSB @08:35

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... s-05031987
Horrific song. A shit stain on Pop the first 20 hits.

Patrick Bateman

#86 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Undertaker wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019, 10:33 pm
I didn’t realise that the song was about apartheid until I googled it just now.

Of course The Story of 1987 did reveal that Andy was the Joan Boez of synth-pop.

le petit corbusier

#87 Post by le petit corbusier »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Undertaker wrote: Sun 03 Feb 2019, 10:33 pm
I didn’t realise that the song was about apartheid until I googled it just now.

Of course The Story of 1987 did reveal that Andy was the Joan Boez of synth-pop.
*Joan Báez ;)

Look left, then right
And run for your life

Patrick Bateman

#88 Post by Patrick Bateman »

That'll teach me to post on my mobile. :wink:

Just a reminder that, with the ban on Mr Sarah Greene's appearances, we should be getting to the imperious It's a Sin before too long. Mercifully the sanctimonious t*** seems to have f*** off somewhere between June and August too; possibly for an extended vacation in Noel Edmonds' Crinkly Bottom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/trivia/prese ... ist7.shtml

Patrick Bateman

#89 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I had also never realised that Andy Bell sang on the Let It Be charity single; so he had number ones with both Beatles and Abba cover versions.

tottenhammattspurs

#90 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

That "Let It Be" video is Pure 1987 C-List celebrity isn't it!
Nick Kamen!
Suzanne Mizzi!
Mandy Smith!
Linda Lusardi!
is is and isnt isnt