Dreamland / No Boundaries / An Open Mind single - October

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
BlackPanther

Re: Dreamland / No Boundaries / An Open Mind single - October

#226 Post by BlackPanther »

I'm usually not posting likes or hates on individual tracks. But hell, An Open Mind is a productional masterpiece.

If this is a left-over from the recording sessions for the new album, how good is the material that WAS selected? Or was this a classical case of "should have been on the album"? (Like Miserablism, to name just one).
Last edited by BlackPanther on Mon 28 Oct 2019, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moxlox

Re: Dreamland / No Boundaries CD single - October

#228 Post by moxlox »

Gabby wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019, 1:08 am Great news. I was grumbling about the double dip of having to buy every format to get all the remixes. Looks like I have all the bases covered now just with the physical formats!
:D :dance:

My thoughts exactly, in both respects. A wonderful c*ck up! And no need to faff around in the digital shop world.

Lucky I listened to my vinyl before I ventured to download.
Circuses and Bread

PopKid78

#229 Post by PopKid78 »

49 on the midweek charts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PETHEAD72

#230 Post by PETHEAD72 »

Dreamland cd single showing as sold out on the os!
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

glennjridge

#231 Post by glennjridge »

I think "no boundaries" is like the second coming of young offender production wise and musically. really starting to like it almost as much as open mind

retrofuturist

#232 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
PopKid78 wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019, 11:19 pm 49 on the midweek charts
PETHEAD72 wrote: Tue 29 Oct 2019, 7:57 pm Dreamland cd single showing as sold out on the os!
Ah well, we can't blame it on Every Mistake Imaginable any more...

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Gary1962

#234 Post by Gary1962 »

How on earth "An Open Mind" has been used for a B side god only knows, by far the superior track in this release.

Dreamland, I've tried to like it, but sorry, I can't stand it, awful song, awful production, the worst PSB single in a long time.

No Boundaries is growing on me, every time I hear it I get the urge to make a curry :)

The Dreamland remixes I can't see me playing again, there not that good, quite disappointing.

I'm just hoping they picked the worst track off the forthcoming album as the lead single.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

gehegu

#235 Post by gehegu »

Gary1962 wrote: Wed 30 Oct 2019, 8:56 am How on earth "An Open Mind" has been used for a B side god only knows, by far the superior track in this release.

Dreamland, I've tried to like it, but sorry, I can't stand it, awful song, awful production, the worst PSB single in a long time.

No Boundaries is growing on me, every time I hear it I get the urge to make a curry :)

The Dreamland remixes I can't see me playing again, there not that good, quite disappointing.

I'm just hoping they picked the worst track off the forthcoming album as the lead single.
IMHO Dreamland production is not as bad as you describe here, it might be simplistic but it’s got a soul taste and I really think it works as a single.

tottenhammattspurs

#236 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

When people say “awful production” do they even know what that actually means? Dreamland doesn’t have “awful production” what you mean is “you don’t like it”. It isn’t “awfully produced” , I’m sure Stuart Price hasn’t awfully produced anything. At best you probably mean you don’t like how it’s been mixed but you actually mean you don’t like it.
is is and isnt isnt

Acg

#237 Post by Acg »

It’s a good PSB single, and the style of the production isn’t the problem. BUT it is appallingly compressed. The worst I’ve heard on any psb release. And the physical releases are no improvement on the MP3.

Gary1962

#238 Post by Gary1962 »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:12 am When people say “awful production” do they even know what that actually means? Dreamland doesn’t have “awful production” what you mean is “you don’t like it”. It isn’t “awfully produced” , I’m sure Stuart Price hasn’t awfully produced anything. At best you probably mean you don’t like how it’s been mixed but you actually mean you don’t like it.
A combination of I don't like it, which is what I said in my post, the track sounds flat and hence I think the production/mix is poor, I am in the music production game and I do think the production is questionable, when you look at the other tracks Stuart Price has done for Pet Shop Boys. It's fair to say I am not keen on Stuart Price as a producer but that's just my opinion, some will agree, some will not.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

leesmapman

#239 Post by leesmapman »

I still like Dreamland. I can't imagine not liking it to be honest. It's a pure pop-tune and very "up". Sticks in your head too, especially the middle-eight.

Spittingcat

#240 Post by Spittingcat »

BUT it is appallingly compressed.
I don’t mind this for a ‘radio mix’, but it’s a shame the album version is the same.