Do you think the 2 first albums of the triology have any real contender of the PSB classics?.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Do you think the 2 first albums of the triology have any real contender of the PSB classics?

Yes
56%
Not really
44%

Total votes: 45

psbfannyc

Re: Do you think the 2 first albums of the triology have any real contender of the PSB classics?.

#16 Post by psbfannyc »

Yes...in "Electric"...because according to Neil...it was the first album where they became "electronic purists"...only hard synths, computers and Neil's vocals were used in the production. All other albums before "Electric" also had hard synths and computers, but also had other instruments from orchestras, guitarists etc.

Dog

Re: Do you think the 2 first albums of the triology have any real contender of the PSB classics?.

#17 Post by Dog »

psbfannyc wrote:Yes...in "Electric"...because according to Neil...it was the first album where they became "electronic purists"...only hard synths, computers and Neil's vocals were used in the production. All other albums before "Electric" also had hard synths and computers, but also had other instruments from orchestras, guitarists etc.
Trying to remember if Super was also electronics only? Could Bernard Butler’s guitar be the only acoustic instrument across the trilogy?
Woof.

psbfannyc

#18 Post by psbfannyc »

Dog wrote: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 8:29 am
psbfannyc wrote:Yes...in "Electric"...because according to Neil...it was the first album where they became "electronic purists"...only hard synths, computers and Neil's vocals were used in the production. All other albums before "Electric" also had hard synths and computers, but also had other instruments from orchestras, guitarists etc.
Trying to remember if Super was also electronics only? Could Bernard Butler’s guitar be the only acoustic instrument across the trilogy?
According to Neil...yes

Nickname

#19 Post by Nickname »

psbfannyc wrote: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 10:39 am
According to Neil...yes
It's much better when they include all kind of instruments on it. Of course, orchestral arregments are welcome and even better in uptempo songs.

psbfannyc

#20 Post by psbfannyc »

nickname wrote: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 10:55 am
psbfannyc wrote: Tue 10 Dec 2019, 10:39 am

According to Neil...yes
It's much better when they include all kind of instruments on it. Of course, orchestral arregments are welcome and even better in uptempo songs.
Well and let's not forget how...according to Neil...the late guitarist J.J. Belle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.J._Belle) helped "defined their sound". #BeingBoring

retrofuturist

#21 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm not really sure how you would define classics, but in an era where none of their songs seem to have any hit potential, it seems a bit gratuitous to regard them as "classic".

There's songs from the x2 era that we like, and across the forum, different people like different songs, but no one single track seems to stand out above the others, in a way that could elevate it to "fan favourite", let alone "classic" status.

So, despite the poorly worded poll, I think it's a No from me.

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

glennjridge

#22 Post by glennjridge »

in my opinion the last classic was "you only tell me you love me when your drunk"

Tenlow

#23 Post by Tenlow »

I think Vocal is a recent "classic", just because it worked / works so incredibly well live and was one of the favourites of fans and casual concert attendees in the last two tours (they even ended the Electric concerts with it because of it). Other than that, maybe Pop Kids will become one in the future but that's about it for me as far as "classics" from the last two albums are concerned, which I obviously don't judge by chart success or anything like that nowadays.

Other "classics" after Fundamental have been Love etc., The way it used to be and Leaving for me.
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

Nickname

#24 Post by Nickname »

Tenlow wrote: Wed 11 Dec 2019, 12:58 pm I think Vocal is a recent "classic", just because it worked / works so incredibly well live and was one of the favourites of fans and casual concert attendees in the last two tours (they even ended the Electric concerts with it because of it). Other than that, maybe Pop Kids will become one in the future but that's about it for me as far as "classics" from the last two albums are concerned, which I obviously don't judge by chart success or anything like that nowadays.

Other "classics" after Fundamental have been Love etc., The way it used to be and Leaving for me.
I think you are talking from the perspective of a harcore fan.

Tenlow

#26 Post by Tenlow »

nickname wrote: Wed 11 Dec 2019, 1:04 pm
Tenlow wrote: Wed 11 Dec 2019, 12:58 pm I think Vocal is a recent "classic", just because it worked / works so incredibly well live and was one of the favourites of fans and casual concert attendees in the last two tours (they even ended the Electric concerts with it because of it). Other than that, maybe Pop Kids will become one in the future but that's about it for me as far as "classics" from the last two albums are concerned, which I obviously don't judge by chart success or anything like that nowadays.

Well, we all are. That's why we're here ;) But thanks for reminding me!

Hint: If you want to avoid the perspectives of PSB fans, you might try not asking them by creating a poll in a "hardcore fan forum", right?

Hint2: I think many people here will agree that at the very least Love etc, The way it used to be and Leaving can be considered PSB "classics".

onzio

#27 Post by onzio »

nickname wrote: Sun 08 Dec 2019, 12:54 pm I think this one is a good question for a poll, although some people can hate them.

Remember the classics from the 80's, the 90's, some songs from Fundamental (TSAGS, Integral), some other from Yes (Love etc, AOTW) but after that, I don't see any song you can think there is a new classic on it, I mean a very strong song to compete with the PSB's best songs. I love Thursday but maybe it's not a real contender of the classics. Some people would say it is Vocal but I don't think so.

Even Elysium didn't have any classic.
I don't think that I fully agree with your statement:
to me TSAGS is far from classic: Fundamental is a very good album with no stand out tracks. Maybe Integral.
Love etc. was pretty famous at the time, then to me Leaving is a real PSB classic together with Vocal.
The Pop Kids is close to what could be considered a classic on Super. But maybe not.
My own personal and deprecable opinion. :mrgreen:
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Nickname

#28 Post by Nickname »

Tenlow wrote: Wed 11 Dec 2019, 1:13 pm

Hint: If you want to avoid the perspectives of PSB fans, you might try not asking them by creating a poll in a "hardcore fan forum", right?

Hint2: I think many people here will agree that at the very least Love etc, The way it used to be and Leaving can be considered PSB "classics".
Of course, it's an opinion as good as mine. All of us are hardcore fans.

But for me, the only recent "classic" is Love, etc.

onzio

#29 Post by onzio »

nickname wrote: Wed 11 Dec 2019, 1:33 pm
Tenlow wrote: Wed 11 Dec 2019, 1:13 pm

Of course, it's an opinion as good as mine. All of us are hardcore fans.

But for me, the only recent "classic" is Love, etc.
In terms of general success I agree. People will remember that Brit Award as the last PSB highlight.
But now a lot of non hardcore fans are attending PSB's concerts and what they play live will influence their general perception.
So Vocal could be considered a Live Classic now?
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Tenlow

#30 Post by Tenlow »

Defining „classics“ just by general success is pretty boring as well. The initial question in this thread whether we think there are PSB classics on the last two albums would be quite irrelevant if the definition is that simple. Of course the answer is „no“ then.

That‘s why I mentioned my I‘m not just looking at sales, chart positions etc to define what a PSB classic is to me.

A classic PSB track is something that is purely PSB and has a certain „quality“ that can rival or is on par with „THE“ classics.

Vocal definitely is a classic by now. It was an essential part of the last two world tours, with great reception and just works perfectly live. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Also most of the fans love the track, may it be live or even on Electric. That’s all you can ask for when considering a „new classic“ these days.