Hotspot reviews

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
vincenzosz

Re: Hotspot reviews

#91 Post by vincenzosz » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 9:03 am

Gabby wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 4:08 pm
Nicholas wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 3:43 pm
lukas.pavlik wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 3:22 pm
Review in Rolling Stone https://www.rollingstone.de/reviews/pet ... s-hotspot/ .
They are not the wisp that Neil Tennant sings in the incomparably gaudy, alarmist opening song “Will-O-The-Wisp”: The Pet Shop Boys are rather a lighthouse, a star in the dark, a solid castle. You could swear that they use the same synthesizers as with "Rent", "What Have I Done To Deserve This?", "It's A Sin" and "Always On My Mind". The fanfares cheer, the chimes ring, sometimes a guitar wrestles, a machine imitates a saxophone that imitates a machine.

And almost every bang is followed by a ballad: "You Are The One", "Hoping For A Miracle", "Only The Dark" - Tennant is all to himself, the old romantic in the ostentatious twilight of longing. With the sloganic, edifying number numbers "Happy People" and "Dreamland" (with Years & Years), the Pet Shop Boys meet the encouragement rate according to the budget. And the quick joke is not missing: "I Don’t Wanna" is Tennant's satirical "I prefer not to" - a boy's strict refusal to go outside - going out. "Monkey Business" is a piece that could have been on the agenda in 1988 - but it is funnier to sing it today. Post everything.

They lustfully ignore the innovations, distortions, and gadgets that their songs may exclude from use at fairground carousels. The Pet Shop Boys are so little offended by the zeitgeist, as unwaveringly retro-modernist as not even OMD or Erasure: They even come back behind moderately experimental records like "Bilingual" and "Yes", they play according to their formulas and rules, and the producer Stuart Price has given them (in the, Genius Loci, Berlin Hansa Studios) the certified sound - here the thunder, because the chirping - reliably appropriate. The fact that this is the third part of a trilogy (after "Electric" and "Super") is a chronological setting: A trilogy could just as well be concluded with "Please" and "Fundmental".

At the end, the organized wedding march sounds and the fanfares blare: “Wedding In Berlin”. We are doing it now, all well! Really now? This bustling camp wedding is far from “Rent”. Or, not possible at Neil Tennant's.
Well that almost made sense. 🤣

Did someone eat a thesaurus for breakfast?
Then it’s not just me. The writing is trying so hard to be interesting and edgy the sentences are convoluted and it barley makes sense. I’m not even sure it it’s saying it’s a good album or not.

Nicholas

#92 Post by Nicholas » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 9:30 am

vincenzosz wrote:
Mon 13 Jan 2020, 9:03 am
Gabby wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 4:08 pm
Nicholas wrote:
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 3:43 pm

They are not the wisp that Neil Tennant sings in the incomparably gaudy, alarmist opening song “Will-O-The-Wisp”: The Pet Shop Boys are rather a lighthouse, a star in the dark, a solid castle. You could swear that they use the same synthesizers as with "Rent", "What Have I Done To Deserve This?", "It's A Sin" and "Always On My Mind". The fanfares cheer, the chimes ring, sometimes a guitar wrestles, a machine imitates a saxophone that imitates a machine.

And almost every bang is followed by a ballad: "You Are The One", "Hoping For A Miracle", "Only The Dark" - Tennant is all to himself, the old romantic in the ostentatious twilight of longing. With the sloganic, edifying number numbers "Happy People" and "Dreamland" (with Years & Years), the Pet Shop Boys meet the encouragement rate according to the budget. And the quick joke is not missing: "I Don’t Wanna" is Tennant's satirical "I prefer not to" - a boy's strict refusal to go outside - going out. "Monkey Business" is a piece that could have been on the agenda in 1988 - but it is funnier to sing it today. Post everything.

They lustfully ignore the innovations, distortions, and gadgets that their songs may exclude from use at fairground carousels. The Pet Shop Boys are so little offended by the zeitgeist, as unwaveringly retro-modernist as not even OMD or Erasure: They even come back behind moderately experimental records like "Bilingual" and "Yes", they play according to their formulas and rules, and the producer Stuart Price has given them (in the, Genius Loci, Berlin Hansa Studios) the certified sound - here the thunder, because the chirping - reliably appropriate. The fact that this is the third part of a trilogy (after "Electric" and "Super") is a chronological setting: A trilogy could just as well be concluded with "Please" and "Fundmental".

At the end, the organized wedding march sounds and the fanfares blare: “Wedding In Berlin”. We are doing it now, all well! Really now? This bustling camp wedding is far from “Rent”. Or, not possible at Neil Tennant's.
Well that almost made sense. 🤣

Did someone eat a thesaurus for breakfast?
Then it’s not just me. The writing is trying so hard to be interesting and edgy the sentences are convoluted and it barley makes sense. I’m not even sure it it’s saying it’s a good album or not.
I mean, it’s convoluted because I ran the German through the incredibly flawed Google Translate and I’m sure it scans better in its original language, but it does rather avoid making any clear declarative statements about whether it’s enjoyable or not.
Last edited by Nicholas on Mon 13 Jan 2020, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas

#93 Post by Nicholas » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 9:32 am

Delete post

Pete13

#94 Post by Pete13 » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 11:58 am

Q magazine. 4 stars.
Attachments
36F73FA0-80B5-4BF7-8179-7225448396F5.jpeg
36F73FA0-80B5-4BF7-8179-7225448396F5.jpeg (134.79 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

ArtHist

#95 Post by ArtHist » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 12:37 pm

4 stars but doesn't really say why.

drunk14

#96 Post by drunk14 » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 12:53 pm

Better resolution, please.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Nickname

#97 Post by Nickname » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 12:59 pm

Will-o-the-wisp is always a reference in all the reviews. Best song for this review too.

drunk14

#98 Post by drunk14 » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 1:34 pm

We are living in the age where people (not particular human beings, but people as the masses) are becoming more and more lazy, ignorant and illiteracy prevails. No wonder that even "journalists" are not able to express their personal opinion, because they were rather taught to fill blank boxes in some ABCD test than THINK. That's all. Do not expect much for review, they are all worthless. We can just see them for fun :)

nickname, you are always a hot subject of discussion on this forum, so many references, just like WIll-o-the-Wisp. Please, accept the honorary tittle of Best User.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Nickname

#99 Post by Nickname » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 1:48 pm

drunk14 wrote:
Mon 13 Jan 2020, 1:34 pm
We are living in the age where people (not particular human beings, but people as the masses) are becoming more and more lazy, ignorant and illiteracy prevails. No wonder that even "journalists" are not able to express their personal opinion, because they were rather taught to fill blank boxes in some ABCD test than THINK. That's all. Do not expect much for review, they are all worthless. We can just see them for fun :)

nickname, you are always a hot subject of discussion on this forum, so many references, just like WIll-o-the-Wisp. Please, accept the honorary tittle of Best User.
When so many reviews talk about it like their favourite song from the album and use more than 2 lines to describe it. I think it is a very good thing. Will-o-the-Wisp is the winner on it. But of course, it means nothing.

onzio

#100 Post by onzio » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 2:28 pm

nickname wrote:
Mon 13 Jan 2020, 12:59 pm
Will-o-the-wisp is always a reference in all the reviews. Best song for this review too.
Accordingly to the quality of these reviews, I start to think that reviewers listen only to the first track.

"Uhm, yeah I like it. 3.5 stars, let's write something general about this disc, oh wait where's that Coldplay review of last month? I'd better change something and I'd better say nothing."

:shifty:
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Nickname

#101 Post by Nickname » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 2:32 pm

onzio wrote:
Mon 13 Jan 2020, 2:28 pm
nickname wrote:
Accordingly to the quality of these reviews, I start to think that reviewers listen only to the first track.

"Uhm, yeah I like it. 3.5 stars, let's write something general about this disc, oh wait where's that Coldplay review of last month? I'd better change something and I'd better say nothing."

Some reviews came from PSB Community members.

onzio

#102 Post by onzio » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 3:00 pm

nickname wrote:
Mon 13 Jan 2020, 2:32 pm
Some reviews came from PSB Community members.
Ok, I was only being sarcastic about some professional reviewers who doesn't really bother.

I'm sure that Will-o-the-wisp will be one of the best tracks on the album, as I trust more the PSB fans who gave us juicy and genuine details about Hotspot.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

ArtHist

#103 Post by ArtHist » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 3:21 pm

onzio wrote:
nickname wrote:

Absolutely agree. That Q Magazine review is just an empty sound byte. We already know they sang West End Girls, Go West, Rent, Left to My Own Devices. Yet the reviewer name checks only five tracks from the new album, two of which are already single releases. Q Magazine has become total 'basic bitch' which is an awful shame.

spacewalker

#104 Post by spacewalker » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 7:56 pm

onzio wrote:
nickname wrote:
My favourite case of this is Allmusic's review of a-ha's Memorial Beach. Not a perfect album for sure, but still an enjoyable listen... and then you get this:
For its fifth album, a-ha varies its style somewhat, trying for a U2 approach on lead-off track "Dark Is the Night for All." This is a long way from the peppy appeal of "Take on Me," but just as far from an improvement.
:clap:

Kobalt Blew

#105 Post by Kobalt Blew » Mon 13 Jan 2020, 9:34 pm

The Record Collector minimal mag review 4 stars

rc 01.jpg
rc 01.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 462 times
previously Parlophoney.