Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
boyjohn

Re: Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

#316 Post by boyjohn »

Had a few listens now, and to me it's a very cohesive album, and one that I will enjoy listening to as a whole as opposed to just picking songs, it flows wonderfully, reminds me of Behaviour in that way. Only the Dark is magnificent.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

bongsteve

#317 Post by bongsteve »

On first listen, Wedding In Berlin, ugh. Looking forward to a few more listens to really determine what works and doesn't.

Disco.

#318 Post by Disco. »

Gary1962 wrote: Thu 23 Jan 2020, 4:55 pm "Will-O-The-Wisp", reminded me of early Pet Shop Boys, a great opening track.

"You Are The One", a good PSB ballad, really like the piano on the track, oozes class, love it!

"Happy People", has a "Bilingual" vibe, nice house piano, uplifting, but average by PSB standards.

"Dreamland", awful and unbelieveable they chose this track as the first singleShouldn't have been on the album, Next!

"Hoping For A Miracle", a dreamy ballad, lovely pad sounds, Neil's vocals are excellent. Really like this track, an album highlight.

"I Don't Wanna", great bassline, totally ruined by the awful pitch bend synth parts, this could have been a real classic, ditch the pitch bend synth and you have a good solid track.

"Monkey Business", you either love or hate this track, for me it is the latter, just seems a mess to me, it is another track that shouldn't have been on the album, should have been a B side at best, certainly not a goog enough track to have been chosen as a single.

"Only The Dark" is wonderful, very "Human League", one of the best tracks on the album. A great ballad with strong vocal and a warm synth backdrop. Excellent production too.

"Burning The Heather", the jewel in the crown, a fabulous track and one of the Pet Shop Boys best ever ballads.

Wedding In Berlin, my god this is an album filler, why on earth they decided to include this on the album I have no idea, tragic end to the album, I never want to hear this track again!

So, overall the album is better than I was anticipating and there are moments when the album shines, with tracks like, "Will-O-The-Wisp", "You Are The One", "Hoping For A Miracle", "Only The Dark", and "Burning The Heather", the bulk of the rest are dreadful (Dreamland, Monkey Business & Wedding In Berlin), though, "I Don't Wanna", does have potential. At times it seems they tried to hard on some songs, to make them work and the album in parts, seems forced, but a massive improvement on "Electric" and better than "Super".

I would rate the album 6/10

Overall, I don't think Stuart Price has done the Pet Shop Boys any favours with the last 3 albums he has produced and I will be glad to see someone else produce their next album (hopefully there will be one).
Totally disagree, with almost everything you write. Stuart Price has revitalized them. If they go back to producers like Stephen Hague and Julián Mendelssohn, they will be finished, it’s not the eighties anymore. Fortunately they are too intelligent for that that’s why they still have a career, and why they are valued so highly in many circles. Otherwise they would be touring with the 80’s circuit.

Gary1962

#319 Post by Gary1962 »

Disco. wrote: Thu 23 Jan 2020, 7:14 pm
Gary1962 wrote: Thu 23 Jan 2020, 4:55 pm "Will-O-The-Wisp", reminded me of early Pet Shop Boys, a great opening track.

"You Are The One", a good PSB ballad, really like the piano on the track, oozes class, love it!

"Happy People", has a "Bilingual" vibe, nice house piano, uplifting, but average by PSB standards.

"Dreamland", awful and unbelieveable they chose this track as the first singleShouldn't have been on the album, Next!

"Hoping For A Miracle", a dreamy ballad, lovely pad sounds, Neil's vocals are excellent. Really like this track, an album highlight.

"I Don't Wanna", great bassline, totally ruined by the awful pitch bend synth parts, this could have been a real classic, ditch the pitch bend synth and you have a good solid track.

"Monkey Business", you either love or hate this track, for me it is the latter, just seems a mess to me, it is another track that shouldn't have been on the album, should have been a B side at best, certainly not a goog enough track to have been chosen as a single.

"Only The Dark" is wonderful, very "Human League", one of the best tracks on the album. A great ballad with strong vocal and a warm synth backdrop. Excellent production too.

"Burning The Heather", the jewel in the crown, a fabulous track and one of the Pet Shop Boys best ever ballads.

Wedding In Berlin, my god this is an album filler, why on earth they decided to include this on the album I have no idea, tragic end to the album, I never want to hear this track again!

So, overall the album is better than I was anticipating and there are moments when the album shines, with tracks like, "Will-O-The-Wisp", "You Are The One", "Hoping For A Miracle", "Only The Dark", and "Burning The Heather", the bulk of the rest are dreadful (Dreamland, Monkey Business & Wedding In Berlin), though, "I Don't Wanna", does have potential. At times it seems they tried to hard on some songs, to make them work and the album in parts, seems forced, but a massive improvement on "Electric" and better than "Super".

Overall, I don't think Stuart Price has done the Pet Shop Boys any favours with the last 3 albums he has produced and I will be glad to see someone else produce their next album (hopefully there will be one).
Totally disagree, with almost everything you write. Stuart Price has revitalized them. If they go back to producers like Stephen Hague and Julián Mendelssohn, they will be finished, it’s not the eighties anymore. Fortunately they are too intelligent for that that’s why they still have a career, and why they are valued so highly in many circles. Otherwise they would be touring with the 80’s circuit.
So you disagree that tracks like "Burning The Heather", You Are The One", "Only The Dark", "Will-O-The- Wisp", "Hoping For A Miracle" are excellent tracks then??
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Future Lover

#320 Post by Future Lover »

^ What Disco. said.

Disco.

#321 Post by Disco. »

I wrote almost..... 😊 though am not a fan of Burning...

Gary1962

#322 Post by Gary1962 »

....We beg to differ on Stuart Price.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Disco.

#323 Post by Disco. »

Clearly....

Pod

#324 Post by Pod »

I disagree with you too I’m afraid - Stuart Price has given the boys their mojo back after the lacklustre Elysium. Given all the songs you don’t like, I actually like (Dreamland, Monkey Business) I’m really looking forward to this album, should be a belter.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

onzio

#325 Post by onzio »

Full day of listens.
This is my review based on my personal taste:

The best track is absolutely by far Hoping for a Miracle. I dare to say one of the best of the Trilogy.
I love the way It is followed by I Don't Wanna. This is the best part of a good record. Price also this time made a mess out of Neil's vocals in this track: way too much reverb! Dreamland works fine in the contest of the album, so does Monkey Business. But these are not the best tracks to be chosen as singles. Will-o-the-wisp has "single" written all over it, nice stomper. Only the Dark is sweet and full of 80's nostalgia: Electric Dreams meets Reality.
As I wrote somewhere else:
Wedding in Berlin is very good, the melody is ace, an earworming chant with a great chord change. I don't like the Wedding March insertions. But the track is absolutely danceable with a very uplifting rhythm.
Burning the Heather is nothing more than an average album track.
What I don't like? I can't stand You Are the One. I really find it irritating. It is "skip material". I don't like Neil rapping in Happy People. This track has his moment with the first chorus after the opening bars, but then is damn boring and it seems to last an etire week.
Me likes Hotspot!
Last edited by onzio on Fri 24 Jan 2020, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Remark

#326 Post by Remark »

Totally agree that Stuart revitalized them. Electric is my second favourite PSB album after Actually. Incredible work. Can't wait to hear Hotspot in its entirety, from start to finish. Keep the reviews and opinions coming!

le petit corbusier

#327 Post by le petit corbusier »

Disco. wrote:

Spot on.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

fluffmoln

#328 Post by fluffmoln »

Don't be scared / for only the dark / can show you the stars

Love you Neil. That is all.

fluffmoln

#329 Post by fluffmoln »

Also, Wedding In Berlin is fan-bloody-tastically fun, get over yourselves you haters. I want an Ancient Methods or Phase Fatale rework/remix of it.

Future Lover

#330 Post by Future Lover »

Already enjoying it quite a bit more. In fact, I'd even delete my initial posts.