Happy Girls? West End People?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
ChoonHound

Happy Girls? West End People?

#1 Post by ChoonHound »

Who wants to bet me we hear a Happy People / West End Girls mashup on the tour? You know they LOVE mashups (I loathe them).

Yeah, I know the tempos don't match up, but that's no bother. That can be worked out.

All the pomp and circumstance /
Can't drag me away from this /
A simple suburban love affair /
Where you fight and then you kiss (do you call me a fool) /
You think you're mad too unstable /
Kicking in chairs and knocking down tables /
In a restaurant in a West end town /
Call the police there's a mad man around

...any takers?
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

One of the crowd

Re: Happy Girls? West End People?

#2 Post by One of the crowd »

There are certain parts of Happy People that remind me of the Possibly More remix of Did You See Me Coming?
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

ChoonHound

#3 Post by ChoonHound »

Musically it's very derivative, but the verses remind me so much of West End girls that I think they'd flow together well. I also like the juxtaposition of moods.

minimal

#4 Post by minimal »

As far as I recall it's not them loving mash ups but Stuart Price coming up with these ideas and realising them while PSB perform them in return.

I seriously hope that Stuart Price steps back at a considerable rate and PSB get more active again as they had been during the Nightlife and Release tours as these saw them perform great new versions of well-chosen tracks.

Thankfully we'll have a different stage designer this time as well so I'm hoping to see all new live elements at the GH show.

I'm sorry to say that their live shows got more and more boring throughout the years as it's all based on effect rather than a fresh touch of originality. And I'm not expecting Performance pt. 2. But I'm all in for some NEW elements we haven't seen or experienced so far. Surely they could bring back some of the iconic costumes we know but the setting and narrative should be unknown. There need to be moments of surprise IMO - otherewise it's gonna be just a bland GH show, I'm afraid.

m+

ChoonHound

#5 Post by ChoonHound »

Minimal,

I couldn’t agree more. The Nightlife show was a highlight of my life. I’d never seen anything like it. It was life changing. I became a fan in 1994 and seeing them live for the first time was the culmination of so much anticipation. Plus everything was so original. The mixes, the stage, the costumes. It was peak PSB.

Sadly, every subsequent tour has been boring. The Release tour being the worst, though at least they tried something original.

I didn’t even go to last tour (the banging laser shows); “I’ve heard it all before. I’ve heard it all before. I’ve heard it al before “

Tom Angel

#6 Post by Tom Angel »

I thought the Release tour was the best.

Electric was SO boring. although i did see them at the O2 and they just do not work there I'm afraid.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

telys

#7 Post by telys »

Tom Angel wrote: Thu 20 Feb 2020, 8:49 am I thought the Release tour was the best.

Electric was SO boring. although i did see them at the O2 and they just do not work there I'm afraid.
Yep, the Release tour was great, so was Montage/Nightlife. I liked the Fundamental tour as well. They need to drop Stuart Price, bring back Dawson or preferably Julian Mendelson.
----
You've got me all wrong

leesmapman

#8 Post by leesmapman »

Electric tour is one of my favourite PSB moments. Funny how that works.

Remark

#9 Post by Remark »

leesmapman wrote: Thu 20 Feb 2020, 12:47 pm Electric tour is one of my favourite PSB moments. Funny how that works.
Completely agreed. Electric was an electric jolt of exactly what the PSB needed — both musically and from a concert performance perspective. Incredible energy, particularly in the later phases of the tour when they dropped slower tracks (e.g. Invisible) and made the setlist flow better. I saw it at the O2 as well and I think the energy was extraordinary, only exceeded by the Sonar Festival in Spain (where my mind was blown). :dance:

Mash-ups were amazing on the Pandemonium tour. I love them because 1) they reinterpret the tracks in new ways and 2) you get more "hits" in shorter time, allowing for more songs to be included. And if done well (More than a dream + Heart / Pandemonium + Can you forgive her) they can introduce new songs by linking/mashing them up with the old. Totally works and the crowd loves it too.

All that said I'm ready for a completely new live stage experience. My husband is a theatre designer and has been watching their shows over the years, and believes Es Devlin has done a great job but the shows have come more and more minimal (and perhaps arguably cheaper over time). They really have a massive opportunity to change things now and WOW concert goers with the Dreamworld tour, especially since so many people will be coming to see these shows in impressively large spaces.

goughsjd

#10 Post by goughsjd »

leesmapman wrote: Thu 20 Feb 2020, 12:47 pm Electric tour is one of my favourite PSB moments. Funny how that works.
Electric was brill, great set list, great new dance songs, Mirrored hats and lasers... Everything was exciting about the Electric era
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

stussyboy

#11 Post by stussyboy »

I think I liked Cubism / Fundamental tour best.

Did like Release tour too.

Didn’t really enjoy Nightlife but in hindsight the show was good, just the atmosphere was poor.

Not doing the GH show, cos I can’t be doing with seats at the o2 - gigs are for standing and dancing
    NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

ZiggyPSB

#12 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Stand up off your seat and dance then.
    I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
    http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
    Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Eleven

#13 Post by Eleven »

Good mashup idea but a greatest hits tour Im afraid it hasnt space for Happy People which I love by the way, so Very era

ChoonHound

#14 Post by ChoonHound »

this tour is gonna suck, huh?

Remark

#15 Post by Remark »

Luke Colorado wrote: Fri 21 Feb 2020, 2:31 pm this tour is gonna suck, huh?
    If they reinterpret tracks with the grandeur of "Being boring" from the Nightlife tour, then I think we'll be very satisfied! :D