New single - I don't wanna

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
daveid

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#76 Post by daveid »

Luke Colorado wrote:
Wed 04 Mar 2020, 3:36 pm
Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Sorry wasn't sure if your reply was for me or onzio but there we go.

I'm disappointed with the wastage of Happy people. The single package had better make up for it but I doubt it will. We know there'll be the single mix, the two remixes mentioned by that guy on the podcast and "New boy" but whether anything else will come from it who knows...

Patrick Bateman

#77 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I imagine the protagonist in I Don’t Wanna is pretty similar to the teenage Neil; perhaps that’s why it’s been chosen.

For what it’s worth, I like both tracks. Happy People seems to have greater remix potential but perhaps I Don’t Wanna is more typically ‘pop’ PSB. Also, Happy People wouldn’t need much editing, whereas at least one verse will be cut from I Don’t Wanna.

The most interesting thing is they’ll be no more singles from Hotspot. Bound to be some kind of album later in the year then, whether that’s Disco 5 or something to tie in with the greatest hits tour.

glennjridge

#78 Post by glennjridge »

While I have issues with the overall album and not really loving alot of the songs, I have zero issue with the lyrics. Hotspot is a fantastic set of Neil lyrics, especially "Wilo the wisp" and happy people.

I dont wanna" is nice but while I used to wish Neil wrote more lyrics about love and life, I think I much more enjoy his kinda more highbrow lyrics like "the resurrectionist"

MD

#79 Post by MD »

glennjridge wrote:
Wed 04 Mar 2020, 7:21 pm
While I have issues with the overall album and not really loving alot of the songs, I have zero issue with the lyrics. Hotspot is a fantastic set of Neil lyrics, especially "Wilo the wisp" and happy people.

I dont wanna" is nice but while I used to wish Neil wrote more lyrics about love and life, I think I much more enjoy his kinda more highbrow lyrics like "the resurrectionist"
Agreed, “The resurrectionist“ is a fantastic track both entertaining and historically enlightening.

However, one of best things About Neil‘s vocal style is that he could sing the alphabet and it would sound highbrow.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

Greendrake

#80 Post by Greendrake »

onzio wrote:
Wed 04 Mar 2020, 2:13 pm
It's really divisive being a PSB fan isn't it?
Yeah that amazes me too. Is there any other band whose die-hard fans are so divided over tastes and opinions about the band's music?
The music (not lyrics) of I don't wanna just doesn't go out of my head these days!

Sage

#81 Post by Sage »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Wed 04 Mar 2020, 6:16 pm
The most interesting thing is they’ll be no more singles from Hotspot. Bound to be some kind of album later in the year then, whether that’s Disco 5 or something to tie in with the greatest hits tour.
Sorry, what makes you say there will be no more singles? Can you back this up with proof?

markrobertnolan

#82 Post by markrobertnolan »

There are four good track on the album, but the poor ones still overshadow it and as somebody else has already said the album cover is out of focus, just like the music. sadly after the highs of the previous two albums, I just want to whizz it over next door's fence.

Patrick Bateman

#83 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Sage wrote:
Thu 05 Mar 2020, 8:25 am
Sorry, what makes you say there will be no more singles? Can you back this up with proof?
Sandy Shaw is finalising the affidavit at this very moment.

Future Lover

#84 Post by Future Lover »

I think we need a poll on who the worst poster is, really.

Gabby

#85 Post by Gabby »

Future Lover wrote:
Thu 05 Mar 2020, 2:05 pm
I think we need a poll on who the worst poster is, really.
Too many choices.

TwizzleUK

#86 Post by TwizzleUK »

Greendrake wrote:
Thu 05 Mar 2020, 2:40 am
onzio wrote:
Yeah that amazes me too. Is there any other band whose die-hard fans are so divided over tastes and opinions about the band's music?
The music (not lyrics) of I don't wanna just doesn't go out of my head these days!
I'd call the divided fans on this forum the "vocal minority die-hard fans", in that they shout loudest about what they do and don't like and often disagree - like many forum users around the web. If PSB changed their approach based on the wide range of opinions in this vocal minority they'd be forever second guessing themselves and would be in a permanent state of creative paralysis.

I'm what I'd consider a "passionate" or perhaps "die hard" fan in that I love the band, am grateful they're still making music and I use this forum for news and exchanging positive information on the band. I love much of their music; like the ones I don't love; and dislike a few - but don't feel the need to debate my preferences here. And am happy to let PSB decide the directions they move in for themselves - enjoying the songs they make that I like and accepting there will be the very occasional song or career choice I may not have chosen myself.

I would think/hope most passionate fans think more the way I do, and that those who have stronger opinions on here are less representative of what a typical "die-hard" PSB thinks. I hope if PSB ever browse these topics that they're grounded enough to realise that too.

onzio

#87 Post by onzio »

Greendrake wrote:
Thu 05 Mar 2020, 2:40 am
onzio wrote:
It is due to the richness of their production, the variety and the "depth under the surface" quoting the quote in A Life in Pop.
I'm more a music person, I tend to judge the songs more on their musical aspects. The lyrics are equally important, but I prefer a good track with bland lyrics to a poetic masterpiece with dull music. That's is partly becaus it took me a while to learn english and understand what Neil was actually saying. Back in the late '80's I was definitely attracted by their music and look, style and the grafic design of their products: so damn different from anything else. Then discovering the value of Neil's work made me a forever fan. Conclusion: I'm still following them in year 2020.
Last edited by onzio on Thu 05 Mar 2020, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

onzio

#88 Post by onzio »

TwizzleUK wrote:
Thu 05 Mar 2020, 3:12 pm
I would think/hope most passionate fans think more the way I do, and that those who have stronger opinions on here are less representative of what a typical "die-hard" PSB thinks. I hope if PSB ever browse these topics that they're grounded enough to realise that too.
Oh I can assure you that in real life I have that approach too. I think it is an Internet effect, the amplification of ideas, statements and claims. We see people overreacting about anything these days, but then in real life is hard to find people actually acting as they do in front of a screen.

So we are only stressing our opinions, sometimes with rudeness but it should be always clear that we are here because we're all PSB fans, so we are sharing this passion and when we say that something is horrible or we hate it, we are acting a role, and we don't really mean it that way.

Or at least this works for me, even if I try to be as polite as I can.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Gabby

#89 Post by Gabby »

I'm with Onzio and TwizzleUK. There's nothing in PSB repertoire that I find completely unlistenable to (remixes aside), but their body of work is so broad after 35+ years there are bound to be varying levels of what one prefers. Although English is my first and only language I was drawn to the PSB music and aesthetic like Onzio first, and the lyrics was more secondary I think. Some of Neil's songs potentially suffer from having too much lyrical depth too them at times.

For what it's worth, I think Hotspot hits a good balance on music and lyrics in ways that Electric and Super didn't. It's hard to put my finger on what is working for me on Hotspot that didn't resonate with albums like Nightlife, Yes and Fundamental which I would say are some of its closest comparitors, but I really, REALLY rate this album very highly. PSB hasn't made me feel this way since Behaviour came out.

Synthrobot

#90 Post by Synthrobot »

https://petshopboys.lnk.to/IdontwannaWe

Pre-order. Just ordered the 12" Great cover!!!!!