That Crossover Moment.....

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
verbow79

That Crossover Moment.....

#1 Post by verbow79 »

that you crossed over from being a casual listener of the boys to being a dyed in the wool fan?

Mine was hearing Very in the fall of '93. Plain and simple. There were 6 different songs that had Top 5 singles chart written all over them. Others non-greatest hits releases like Actually and Behavior had multiple hits too, but nothing in the neighborhood of 6 songs like Very did.

I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing
Different Point of View
One In A Million
Go West
Hey Headmaster
Shameless

MikeyC

Re: That Crossover Moment.....

#2 Post by MikeyC »

I had been an enthusiastic though casual fan... until I got to college in the Fall of ‘91 and DISCOGRAPHY came out. BOOM I was hooked and have been a die-hard passionate fan ever since!!

Greendrake

#3 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist

#4 Post by retrofuturist »

The first thing I heard was Always On My Mind, and I absolutely loved it.
Then I heard Heart and was a bit meh.
Domino Dancing seemingly skipped me by, but when I heard Left To My Own Devices, I was hooked for life - age 10.
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

G_Goalden

#5 Post by G_Goalden »

My 16th Birthday (March 1986) and playing ‘Please’ for the first time. I’d never heard anything like ‘Two divided by zero’ before. I was hooked.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough & Sheffield 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022 | Leeds 2023

rashomon

#6 Post by rashomon »

1985 - my big sis told me about a song I 'might' like - West End Girls.

I was in love with it immediately ... but I think I'd have to say listening to Please and hearing those synth landscapes on a crappy cassette player over and over cemented the addiction.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Synthrobot

#7 Post by Synthrobot »

Behaviour. Nervously. The End of the World. Smitten.

nervousboy

#8 Post by nervousboy »

'lets not go home, we'll catch the late train...'

86 and I did. Moved to London. Even now Please/Actually sing to me of those younger days, hopes, dreams, passions and tears.

leesmapman

#9 Post by leesmapman »

When I bought Actually and what a fantastic album that was. I liked Please and all, but Actually was... wow.

Patrick Bateman

#10 Post by Patrick Bateman »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri 03 Jul 2020, 6:49 am The first thing I heard was Always On My Mind, and I absolutely loved it.
Then I heard Heart and was a bit meh.
Domino Dancing seemingly skipped me by, but when I heard Left To My Own Devices, I was hooked for life - age 10.
Mine was Heart, actually. The perfect storm of my age (14), significant exposure and its insistent melody. I think it was on a school trip somewhere and Actually was played on the coach. I suppose I was a closet case until then as I had been aware of them since West End girls but Heart was the one that made me go out and buy the three albums and the Always on my Mind cassette single.

matt74uk

#11 Post by matt74uk »

Summer of '88. I liked the singles, but never really had a favourite band until I got a tape to tape copy of Actually from a friend and listened to it repeatably during a that years holiday to Mallorca. At that point I decided they were my "favourite band" and bought Introspective on CD (my second ever CD purchased) when it came out a few months later.

Gabby

#12 Post by Gabby »

I think the real defining moment for me was late 1986.

Up to that point I was very much aware and liked the singles and "Please" but only had a pirated cassette of it from a friend.

I was in Woolworths (Yay Woolies! :dance: ) in Worthing, Sussex, and they had "Disco" playing in the music section of the store. I immediately recognized one of the remixes and bought the cassette on the spot.

"Disco" is what put me on the road to collecting primarily only the 12" versions of their singles, but I still bought the albums as well from that point on. It took me a while to backfill the "Please" 12" singles. If memory serves I found "Love Comes Quickly" in an HMV on a school trip to York in 1987 (It's a Sin was on the radio on the bus ride). Instead of taking in the sights of York Minster and various other awesome architecture, I was rifling through vinyl in a record shop!

Andie

#13 Post by Andie »

I've been a fan since West End girls was released. :D 8) :dance:
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Scottydog

#14 Post by Scottydog »

I was hooked from the first listen to West End Girls though I only really bought the albums and the odd 12”. So unbelievably I was unaware of many delights until Alternative came out. I’ve pretty much bought everything that has something different to the albums since then. I know many people have favourite albums and albums that they aren’t keen on but I can honestly say there isn’t a single album I don’t like and that is rare for any artist!
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

JJ Naas

#15 Post by JJ Naas »

I was lying in my bed, the TV was on in the room next to me and I heard Go West and thought: "Finally someone is doing music for ME." After that it still took almost a year before I managed to borrow Very C-cassette from local library (I didn't buy records, I put all my money in computer games). While taking a walk in a forest during a hot summer day I listened to the first half of the album on my Walkman and was convinced for good. Once I got around to borrowing Introspective a few months later (and copied the cassette for myself, buying the actual CDs would come later) there was another big moment: hearing Left to My Own Devices for the first time. I remember wondering for a brief moment if a wrong cassette had been put inside the case in the library, but once the beat kicked in and Neil started singing I was awestruck.